forum

PP system explanation needed

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
righly
Hello. I've been playing OSU since 2011 and have gone back and forth between taking it seriously and just casually playing it to even taking breaks months long at a time and since a few months back I have been playing for hours a day. But the new PP system has me confused I know since it's last changed they've made it harder to just gain rank just by playing an insane amount of maps. But my question is how does the new PP system work? You see I recently had a PP play worth 200 PP and I just recently ranked a different map that gave me 208 PP but my 200 PP play went down to 190. Why is that the case that I lost PP. I know between the 2 my total PP score is 400 but why wouldn't it be 408? an explanation is needed as to why if you get a new high in pp rated map you lose some on your previous maps.
Juuuuuuuuul
help/wiki/Performance_Points

What is the 'weightage system' and how does it affect my scoring?

The weightage system refers to the fact that all of your scores are weighted against each other in terms of overall performance.

This means that only your highest pp score will award the full amount of pp for that particular performance. Other scores with lower overall pp values will be weighted with a gradually decreasing percentage.

To provide an example of this with a mathematical formula:

Let PP represent each score's individual pp value. PP[i] denotes the ith score's pp value, sorted descending, where i ranges from 1 to n, and n is defined as the amount of scores you have.

Total pp = PP[1] * 0.95^0 + PP[2] * 0.95^1 + PP[3] * 0.95^2 + ... + PP[n] * 0.95^(n-1)