forum

i can do six stars but i don't get a high score. should i stick the 4/5 stars for now?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-Scrips-
so i can now do most 5*-6* but I don't really get all that much pp or rank for doing them. (btw the reason my rank is low is because I had no internet for a while.) the highest pp play i have done was a 4.8* which game me 55pp. should i stick to maps i can FC so i can get the pp or should i play the 6* and not get that much?.

if it helps
scores/osu/3099132052
Veeyu
Playing in high-intensity situations outside of your comfort zone is a good idea because you will start getting more used to them, and thus get better. Though I'd like to clarify, there's a lot of different ways to go about improving.

You won't improve as much playing the same stuff you're comfortable with to get pp and it definitely pays off in the future if you can adapt to the harder things sooner.

PP is gained based on how well you perform, right? And when you're playing a map you aren't super good at, something that's just comfortable enough to get a B on, the game says you aren't performing very well, because, I mean, you aren't. Even though you aren't really any worse of a player, the bonus PP you get from higher ranks just results in this happening.

Unfortunately, PP is a system that doesn't support improvement through this method. It supports mass amounts of playing and basically says "more time spent = better performance" since you're more encouraged to keep playing the stuff you're good at and watch your PP grow until it becomes quite easy to play and you move on.

This is how I went about it. Playing things outside my comfort zone and focusing on what I needed improvement on most is what ended up with better use of time, at least with me. Though I don't encourage fully jumping into things you can't handle at all, since this might build bad habits. Find a sweet-spot outside your comfort zone enough that it is definitely challenging, but isn't resulting in atomic failure with Ds and Cs.
Most importantly, have fun.
I know it sounds cheesy, but, If you find watching your pp grow then just keep doing it I guess. If you find getting a low-rank un-fun, then it's up to you. Personally, a large part of osu! for me was watching myself improve.
If you're having fun, you'll probably play more, so maximize how much fun you're having.
This is what I picked up playing standard and mania over my time playing it. Methods of improving. I'm glad I could share them.
Hope I could help c:
Topic Starter
-Scrips-

Veeyu wrote:

Playing in high-intensity situations outside of your comfort zone is a good idea because you will start getting more used to them, and thus get better. Though I'd like to clarify, there's a lot of different ways to go about improving.

You won't improve as much playing the same stuff you're comfortable with to get pp and it definitely pays off in the future if you can adapt to the harder things sooner.

PP is gained based on how well you perform, right? And when you're playing a map you aren't super good at, something that's just comfortable enough to get a B on, the game says you aren't performing very well, because, I mean, you aren't. Even though you aren't really any worse of a player, the bonus PP you get from higher ranks just results in this happening.

Unfortunately, PP is a system that doesn't support improvement through this method. It supports mass amounts of playing and basically says "more time spent = better performance" since you're more encouraged to keep playing the stuff you're good at and watch your PP grow until it becomes quite easy to play and you move on.

This is how I went about it. Playing things outside my comfort zone and focusing on what I needed improvement on most is what ended up with better use of time, at least with me. Though I don't encourage fully jumping into things you can't handle at all, since this might build bad habits. Find a sweet-spot outside your comfort zone enough that it is definitely challenging, but isn't resulting in atomic failure with Ds and Cs.
Most importantly, have fun.
I know it sounds cheesy, but, If you find watching your pp grow then just keep doing it I guess. If you find getting a low-rank un-fun, then it's up to you. Personally, a large part of osu! for me was watching myself improve.
If you're having fun, you'll probably play more, so maximize how much fun you're having.
This is what I picked up playing standard and mania over my time playing it. Methods of improving. I'm glad I could share them.
Hope I could help c:
Mate you are the best. When I was writing this I didn’t expect something so big like it.thanks!
Juuuuuuuuul
You can't do properly 5* 6*, getting 55pp for a 4.8* is very low and mean you did not well on the map,
high 3* can give you close to 100pp, 4.8* can give 150pp when played properly.
Beating the HP setting in a map may be fun, but that don't mean you're playing correctly the map.

So to answer the question in your thread's title :

You should do what is giving you the most fun,
if playing only for passes is how you enjoy the game the most, then do it.

But if you're looking for good scores and proper plays, you'll have to play lower SR, 2* and 3*.

Have fun :)