forum

Mouse only at the highest level of competition

posted
Total Posts
show more
Wishy
Tablet + keyboard has been proven to be the best playing style. Pretty much every top player plays like that. You may be a top player by playing mouse only but chances are you gonna change styles before you reach that point.

You may be proud of being a mouse only player, since you still didn't change your play style to what's better and keep playing using a harder one, but still that doesn't mean you're better than what you really are. Meaning if rrtyui beats you on any score by 1k score by using tablet + keyboard and you did your score mouse only, using your playstyle as an excuse is wrong.
Loves

Wishy wrote:

Tablet + keyboard has been proven to be the best playing style. Pretty much every top player plays like that. You may be a top player by playing mouse only but chances are you gonna change styles before you reach that point.

You may be proud of being a mouse only player, since you still didn't change your play style to what's better and keep playing using a harder one, but still that doesn't mean you're better than what you really are. Meaning if rrtyui beats you on any score by 1k score by using tablet + keyboard and you did your score mouse only, using your playstyle as an excuse is wrong.
Spinning 460+ with a mouse is easy if you know how to hyper tense
buny
spinners suk
TakuMii

GoldenWolf wrote:

XPJ38 wrote:

Why would they do that?
"Oh hey look I'm a mouse only pro player !!!".
meh, I'd play using 2 mice to brag like that.
ethox
Spinning is for most of the people is easier with mouse than a pen.

And circle size is the most challenging part of using mouse only. That's why Shizuru- has a lot of scores >CS5. I do admire his HDHR work though, but DT is nothing.
Soly
Tanzklaue

Soly wrote:

And this is why
until here you had the chance to be smart. sadly you didn't use it.

seperated rankinglists would make it look like mouse players are something special. they are not.

also, it would just lead into trolls just pretending to play mouse by selecting mouse instead of tablet. people who play with both mouse and tablet would be unclear to rank. there are to many factors why this won't work.

the thought of someone being superior to somebody else because of playstyle has to stop. you are not suddenly a better player because you play with mouse instead of tablet. everybody plays with what he is most comfortable with, and seriously: if you really want to have a tablet, almost nobody here should be to poor to buy one. it's up to you if you want to invest money into it.
Soly
GoldenWolf

Soly wrote:

Just the fact that the way the game is now, discourages use of other input devices on a competitive level.
what
Soly
GoldenWolf

Soly wrote:

This speaks volumes to the community and discourages the use of other ways to play.
How about seeing it like that : It encourages people to try other way to play ?

I don't understand your point of view, if people wants to try other playstyle and find it more fun than mouse, what's wrong with it ? Why considering mouse player "special" ?
And why do you think it's a problem ? There is no need to fix it because it's not a problem
Soly
kriers
Sure there are no mouse players around to play the hardest maps available, but let's face it, only 0,01% of all tablet players are capable of playing this crazy shit. For the remaining 99,99% of players, there remains a lot of stuff you can do with both peripherals.
jesse1412

kriers wrote:

Sure there are no mouse players around to play the hardest maps available, but let's face it, only 0,01% of all tablet players are capable of playing this crazy shit. For the remaining 99,99% of players, there remains a lot of stuff you can do with both peripherals.
Well there's always http://osu.ppy.sh/u/shizuru-

I'd say the % of total mouse only users who play that shit is lower than the % of total kb players who play it, but that's because people who care enough to get that good will take any available options to get better, thus moving to keyboard.
yoyomster
SPOILER
As a fellow mouse-only player i understand your concern OP :)
First off, i can't play much a day but consider my ranking important.
It's only natural some would expect some recognition for choosing (arguably) the hardest play-style.
Being able to filter the score rankings by play-style would be a nice way to get this recognition, if not among the whole community then at least among fellow mouse-only players. But as has been said, there's no point in doing this as long as there's no failsafe way to determine someone's play-style for each play.

Saying play-style is a matter personal preference is a valid, but neutral argument.
And in fact this doesn't deny most players choose the easy way out and have an advantage.
There are a few mouse-only players who are exceptionally good, but they are just exceptions.
You guys are really giving me the feeling mouse-only was a dumb chose, which i hope it's not meant to be :cry:

TL/DR: Just as playing HR/DT/HD/FL is a handicap in exchange for a higher score multiplayer, playing mouse-only should be a handicap in exchange for some general recognition.
Wishy
You get recognition yet you won't be better for playing a bad play style.
lolcubes
There is almost no reliable way of 100% knowing who is mouse only and who is not. Does it really matter in the end?

If you want to play competitively, you will use whatever means necessary to achieve a higher score and beat the person above you in ranks. If you want to play for fun, you will most likely play with whatever you find most fun with.

yoyomster wrote:

Just as playing HR/DT/HD/FL is a handicap in exchange for a higher score multiplayer, playing mouse-only should be a handicap in exchange for some general recognition.
Just because the sky is blue, you should use blue switches to achieve better scores. Right? Sorry but I don't find much sense there. :p

A person who asks for recognition for doing something different isn't worthy of it if you ask me. That only means he is an attention seeker.
Winshley
Some Chinese players use a mouse (or maybe a click device that can't move the cursor) with the buttons made of mechanical keyboard switches.
yoyomster

lolcubes wrote:

A person who asks for recognition for doing something different isn't worthy of it if you ask me. That only means he is an attention seeker.
He would definitely be an attention seeker if that something would be different and as easy as the other things, but is that also the case if it's harder to do than the other things? If you can prove that mouse-only is in no way harder than other play styles, i'll admit i was wrong about the need of recognition for this play style. Is it really so wrong to expect recognition for doing something that is harder to do?
buny
it's attention seeking because you're going out of your way for the sole purpose of getting that attention

that can be said about anyone expecting extra attention for using different method
yoyomster
Ok, so recognition is only for highest ranking people and only for Osu! players in general regardless of play style.
And only if you're part of the pro's, you might get a little more respect as a mouse-only player, otherwise it's attention seeking.
I guess this is one reason why there's a relatively low amount of mouse-only at the highest level then.
Competitive people switch play style because doing something the hard way and getting no extra credit for it until you've reached the top of the ladder really sucks.
But in a setting like above it is to be expected, very normal and won't change.
I hope i got it now :p
buny
players get recognition on how they perform and their achievements, not how they do it.

in the end the end result is all that matters
Wishy
Playing with the wrong device should make people think you're wasting your time other than giving you extra credit for being good with a bad play style. Really if you're serious about this game and play mouse-only there is something wrong with you.

Only situation where I would respect some player for playing mouse-only would be after they reach the top and become so bored of it they decide to try something harder, other than that it's just attention-whoring.
GoldenWolf

Wishy wrote:

other than that it's just attention-whoring.
yeah sure, no one would play mouse only for fun, right ?
GladiOol

Wishy wrote:

Playing with the wrong device should make people think you're wasting your time other than giving you extra credit for being good with a bad play style. Really if you're serious about this game and play mouse-only there is something wrong with you.

Only situation where I would respect some player for playing mouse-only would be after they reach the top and become so bored of it they decide to try something harder, other than that it's just attention-whoring.
This better be a troll post.
CXu
It's "attention-whoring" when you seek recognition. You don't do something for recognition, you just get recognition for something you do. (If that makes any sense, haha.)
Tanzklaue

GladiOol wrote:

Wishy wrote:

This better be a troll post.
it's wishy.

it's probably not a troll.
GladiOol
Does wishy have mental problems or something then? Y'know, IQ related problems or whatever... Things I should know of before replying again?
Tanzklaue
I don't know. he says more BS than even aqo, so there could be something.
Wishy
Still butt-hurt cause you got your team half banned? ;) By the way, maybe my post was not properly explained, if you read it again and try to see what I meant, you'll see I'm talking about people who are serious about the game and try to be good. If you really want to be good and play mouse only, then you really love wasting your potential, and really love investing time on something that's no good. If you're not serious about the game and just want fun, go play and don't go around trying to show-off your playstyle.

You're not an att-whore if you don't go saying "hey I play mouse-only, mouse-only master race it's the true way to play osu!" like maaaaaaaaaaany do. If you really play for fun you don't go talking about how your playstyle is harder and shit, you just play.

Don't know why I'm answering to this Gladi kid tho, gotta be dumb to get banned several times in this game without cheating, no real possibility to hold any argument with his kind.

CXu wrote:

It's "attention-whoring" when you seek recognition. You don't do something for recognition, you just get recognition for something you do. (If that makes any sense, haha.)
Lots of people in life will do stuff just because they need attention or recognition. The ones that you don't really know are those who don't seek attention, the ones we all know do.
Kanye West
I don't really see why someone can't be as good as Cookiezi and play mouse only. When it comes down to it, all you're really doing is moving a cursor and pressing buttons.
Wishy
I think it's possible but harder. :p
Kanye West
And just because it's harder, you should just give up that playstyle? Sounds like someone's promoting an attitude of being a little bitch and conform to the majority.
GladiOol

Wishy wrote:

Still butt-hurt cause you got your team half banned? ;) By the way, maybe my post was not properly explained, if you read it again and try to see what I meant, you'll see I'm talking about people who are serious about the game and try to be good.

Wishy wrote:

I was serious about this game back in the day and played mouse only. I had fun and was serious about getting good scores/ranks. You're saying that when somebody does this, that there's something wrong with them. Well, if you are truly unable to see how stupid this remark is, then you truly are a stupid person. I am really curious what your IQ would be if you'd take a test.

Wishy wrote:

If you really want to be good and play mouse only, then you really love wasting your potential
How do you read your own bullshit without thinking: ''Hmm, maybe I should stop typing with my ass and let bullshit like this flow over the forums.''
Did you know it's possible to have fun in a game and still be serious? Yes, it is possible. Weird right? I had fun back in the day mouse only and still was serious about getting the best possible rank. ''no i am wisy not poissible there jus somthin wrong with head lol XD''

Wishy wrote:

Don't know why I'm answering to this Gladi kid tho, gotta be dumb to get banned several times in this game without cheating, no real possibility to hold any argument with his kind.
And this again shows your stupidity, really, how do you read your own crap without thinking how stupid you are? It's incredibly sad that you honestly do not understand that what you type is pure crap. I'm not even going to type out why, this is just sad. You are a sad person Wishy. Please take that IQ test, man, please oh fucking please.
Wishy

GladiOol wrote:

I was serious about this game back in the day and played mouse only. I had fun and was serious about getting good scores/ranks. You're saying that when somebody does this, that there's something wrong with them. Well, if you are truly unable to see how stupid this remark is, then you truly are a stupid person. I am really curious what your IQ would be if you'd take a test.
You clearly don't know what means to be serious about something, which leads you to say all that stuff. When you really want to be good about something you will use all possible means to achieve that, if you don't then you're not that serious and are just trying to have fun, say you're in the middle between being serious and being completely casual. You'd know this if you knew anything about... any really serious player. If you're serious about some game and don't use the best possible options to be good, then you're either stupid or not serious.

How do you read your own bullshit without thinking: ''Hmm, maybe I should stop typing with my ass and let bullshit like this flow over the forums.''
Did you know it's possible to have fun in a game and still be serious? Yes, it is possible. Weird right? I had fun back in the day mouse only and still was serious about getting the best possible rank. ''no i am wisy not poissible there jus somthin wrong with head lol XD''
Nope, not really, from the moment you're serious about something the top priority are results, fun comes after that. From the moment you prioritize fun over... seriousness? to a point your game level goes way lower, then you're not really serious, or you are serious and retarded.

And this again shows your stupidity, really, how do you read your own crap without thinking how stupid you are? It's incredibly sad that you honestly do not understand that what you type is pure crap. I'm not even going to type out why, this is just sad. You are a sad person Wishy. Please take that IQ test, man, please oh fucking please.
It's not pure crap, it's actually completely right. You just don't know what it means to be serious and try to be the best on something.

Kanye West wrote:

And just because it's harder, you should just give up that playstyle? Sounds like someone's promoting an attitude of being a little bitch and conform to the majority.
YES, if you really want to be good you should give up that playstyle. If you just want to have fun go ahead and play with your screen off if you want.
D33d
What if mouse-only, shock horror, works for some people? The only maps which I'd consider to be unplayable with a mouse would be terrible maps. If I found any of the harder maps compelling enough to want to practice them constantly, then I might actually become "pro" after a while. It sounds like you're mad at the fact that some people are better than you at using a mouse. For me, it feels much more satisfying. Then again, I only play this game for fun, as is the point of playing a game for me. I'm such a heretic.
Wishy
I still have to see any top tier player use that playstyle. I'm not really following pros anymore but from what I know most (if not all of them) do play with a tablet and a keyboard. Sadly there are devices which work better than other ones, just like on fighting games almost everyone uses an arcade stick, here most pros (if not all) use a tablet/mouse and keyboard, on shooters they use proper mouses instead of $3 ones, etc. Reality backs up what I'm saying so... no real point to argue about it. Can you be good with any play style? Yes. Are all play styles equally easy/hard? No. Are there better play styles if you are serious about being good? Yes.

I suck at this game and haven't been seriously playing for over 2 years, just playing for fun, I don't really care if somebody is better than me at all lol.
lolcubes
Well you still have to include people who did go tablet and went back to mouse. They either aren't comfortable with it, or they are just unable to utilize it properly for whatever reason. Such people can still rank up quite high.
Wishy
Talking about mouse-only.
D33d
In that case, why make such a big deal about it? I'd say that it's quite possible to get high ranks with nothing more than a mouse. When I'm actually trying, I have a pretty good amount of control with it. There's no reason to call something a waste of time, especially if it ends up making the player feel more connected to the game. I'd say that good mouse-only players are worthy of some kind of recognition, because it's a skill in itself and is the "proper" way to play.
show more