forum

[Archived] Persisting Issues With Kudosu Counter

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
rosario wknd
Problem details:

I feel bad making another post about this because it paints me as someone who's bloodthirsty for kudosu and am high on numbers, but considering modding takes up a decent portion of my free time it feels kinda disheartening when I'm not compensated for my work the way the website was designed to do.

This post is a follow up community/forums/topics/1026946?start=7361837 detailing a similar problem where kudos were being given by a beatmap owner on a map's discussion page, but never ended up being added to the overall count, which was marked as resolved and subsequently archived without the issue being addressed or fixed as far as I'm aware.

I've recently encountered the same issue as of late and due to the similar circumstances surrounding both, I've come to the conclusion that they aren't simply freak occurrences but rather bugs on the website's end, resulting in kudos not being given for a modder's effort.

Video or screenshot showing the problem:

You can refer back to community/forums/topics/1026946?start=7361837 for a bit more context but basically on beatmapsets/1171810#osu/2444197 after a certain point, kudos were given on the beatmap discussion page but not added to the overall count on a userpage.

Screencap showing kudos counter on userpage, which only credits discussions on both the normal/hard difficulties of the aforementioned mapset:

Screencap showing posts made on the mapset's insane diffuculty, and the mapper awarding kudos for the mods, which didn't show up as part of the kudos count:

Additional image showing highest kudos received section on my userpage which shows the mapper in question awarding 71 kudosu, which is inconsistent with the number given on the modding section of my userpage, which indicates that the website acknowledged the kudosu being given, but for some reason didn't add them to the count:

Comparing this to the previous post I made, it seems like this issue/bug could potentially be stemming from the fact that kudos was being awarded as intended up until a discussion post was given kudosu before being denied kudos, which is noticeable in both screencaps on both posts detailing the problem, as after the kudos was retracted the rest of resolved discussions and subsequent kudosu awarded by the mapper were not added to the kudos counter, which leads me to assume something is potentially bugged with the website.

It also might be worth mentioning that both of the sets in question where I've noticed this issue were multiple diffs sets, which resulted in my modding process taking a few days in succession, with the mapper addressing issues in each diff on the same day I made the discussion post, as opposed to addressing everything after my multiple day modding process was finished. Not sure if this holds any gravity but I thought I'd mention it anyway as It's relatively uncommon that I break modding sets like this into multiple days, as I prefer to grind them out in one sitting.

I have no clue whether this bug or something different as last time I addressed this issue I was never given any insight into the resolution and it was marked as resolved without anything being done, so I just brushed it off as a freak occurrence, so I would appreciate if I was potentially kept in the loop this time and not left in the dark.

Much appreciated my friends.

osu! version: Stable 20200519.1 (latest)
Dntm8kmeeatu
Sorry the old thread didn't get noticed.

This should probably be posted on Github. https://github.com/ppy/osu-web

Unless there is already an issue made.
Topic Starter
rosario wknd
Oh I completely forgot about github lmao what am I even doing here. Thanks for the reply!
Death
There is a limit to the amount of kudosu you can receive per beatmapset. I believe that is where the confusion is coming in. Upvotes don't directly correlate to kudosu as well, you can receive thumbs up without receiving kudosu.

Relevant links:
https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/2040
https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/pull/4620
Topic Starter
rosario wknd
Hmmmm I can understand limiting the kudos received from a beatmap if it was done illegitimately to abuse the kudosu system, but that still leaves people who actually put the work in to be undercompensated in my opinion, which also subesequently discourages modders from looking at larger sets for fear of not receiving kudos.

Not sure if a system for this already exists, but I feel there should potentially be a way to circumvent/appeal this limit for those who can provide proof they actually did the work.
Death
If you read the discussion on those two things I linked, other solutions were proposed (e.g. scaling limit based on song length), but ultimately they just went with a hard limit.

There are still other issues open regarding kudosu and upvotes/downvotes, they might cover what you want. Here are two I found:
https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/4502
https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues/1698

Feel free to do some more searching, I could have missed something. There have been quite a few issues opened regarding the beatmap discussion kudosu/voting system.