forum

[resolved] Osu repeteadly crashing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
magidolce
Problem details: For a week now, whenever I scroll up and down in the beatmaps menu, Osu will punctually freeze and crash, thus forcing me to reboot my laptop, every 5 or 10 minutes.

Video or screenshot showing the problem: I can't really record since I wouldn't be able to switch tabs once it's frozen, but it's basically just everything staying in place - well, freezing - with the music still running in the background, but nothing responding.

osu! version: Stable 20200519.1 (latest)
Death
Please post the runtime.log file from your osu!\Logs folder after crashing but before restarting the game (toerhwise the file will reset).

Please also check your event viewer for any crash logs. A guide explaining what to look for can be found here: community/forums/topics/638421?start=6231904
Topic Starter
magidolce

Also, on the guide you sent, when I'm at the step of pressing ctrl + F, the searchbar in which I have to type "osu" doesn't appear.
Death
Is that the entire log? If so, it doesn't say anything useful so we'll probably need some sort of crash log to figure anything out.

Instead of pressing Ctrl+F to bring up the search bar you can also click on the "Find..." button on the right sidebar.
Topic Starter
magidolce
Yes it is.

What's written in French would be roughly translate as :
"Description : the process has been stopped because of an exception that hasn't been handled."
Death
Have you imported any maps recently? If this is only occurring on the beatmap selection screen, that might be related.

Try holding shift while starting the game until a configuration window pops up, then hit the "repair osu!" button.
Topic Starter
magidolce
I already tried the repair thingy, I just retried again and I got a crash again.

Yes it only occurs on the beatmap selection screen, and yes I have imported beatmaps recently, and I also believed that was the most likely thing to be related to these errors.

I hardly know anything about these stuff but I assume there are many beatmap folders that include corrupted files or something like that.

Also I just tried to switch on a map I already had a freeze when I selected it before, and it froze again, so I guess it'd only occur when reaching certain beatmaps.
Death
Try grouping your maps by difficulty on the beatmap selection screen and check to see if you have anything that hasn't been calculated. Occasionally broken maps will appear there because they don't have a star rating.

You could also try opening your Songs folder and sorting the maps in there by Date modified. That should allow you to find the maps you imported around the time you started having issues. You may want to try removing those maps temporarily to see if it fixes the issue.
Topic Starter
magidolce
Everything finished to be calculated, and I had imported all my songs on the same day, unfortunately for me :D
Death
How many maps did you import and where did you get them from (i.e. a backup, a beatmap pack, etc)?

There are some other things you can still try. Press F5 on the beatmap selection screen and run a full reprocess if the game asks.

If that doesn't work, inside your osu! folder there is a file named "osu!.db". Close the game and remove that file from the folder. Once you start the game again and head back to the song selection screen, you should see all of your maps start to reprocess. That means you removed the correct file and you should let the game do that.

Just one note on that last thing though. Removing that file will cause all of your maps to be marked as unplayed. It's not really a huge deal, it typically only matters if you sort your maps by recently played in game or try to find maps based on whether or not you've played them. If you don't do either of those things, you shouldn't worry about this.
Topic Starter
magidolce
I imported around 13 000 from a backup.

I did try the F5 thingy, but it didn't change much (I think that's because I did it previously already).

I delete osu!.db and let a recalculation processing, but nothing has changed.
Death
Not really sure then. Without any logs it's hard to say what's causing issues.

I'd just try installing the game to a different location on your computer and checking to see if you are crashing with the default maps. If you aren't, try moving your maps over from your old install to your new one, except this time don't import all 13,000 at once. If you move the maps over in smaller groups and you start to experience issues after a specific group, you might be able to pinpoint what is causing issues (in case it actually is a map that is causing this).

If you are still having issues even on a fresh install with no maps, then it's probably something else entirely and we can go from there.
Topic Starter
magidolce
That's what I thought I would do, thank for you help anyway^^
Topic Starter
magidolce
Just a quick update in case you're reading,

I managed to fix it by deleting another file as well, I don't remember which but now it runs properly, and the maps the game was freezing on before don't jeopardise it anymore ^^.
Death
Good to hear, glad you figured it out.