forum

osu!mirror - the second - Working with HTML5, what's upcomin

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nanashiRei
So i guess many of you know the external project that i have been running for almost an entire year now, the osu!Mirror located at https://osu.yas-online.net. Recently i got totally fed up with my code, it doesn't have a base nor does it use any framework besides jQuery for JavaScripts. The result, although it's working pretty good, is a big mess and a pile of scrapped-code-parts. It's hard to maintain and i have been thinking about redoing it with -the modern way- of coding pages. First of all i have decided on a MVC Framework ( http://symfony.com ) that's well known, easy to use and HTML5 compliant. While this will certainly make the page more code-intense, it'll also enable me to do way more fance things with it, without much of a hassle. Then, when i look at the code base for mirror child servers (nodes), it's sad. It's not as good of a system as it might feels to you as user, then what it really is. Synchronization and updating has to be done via console php-cli scripts and only could be done by me or Neico.

With the new planned combined usage of Symfony and AngularJS ( http://angularjs.org/ ) it will become a more user driven web-app that even you, the users that like and love my page, can use and update. I will be adding update-requests and the ability to upload non-existing maps (maps that are not part of any map-pack) to the mirror for anyone at any given time. The biggest difficulty i had with this in the past was really just handling the UI updating and resource assigning from PHP over JSON to HTML and vise versa. AngularJS takes care of that, while Symfony will take care of models and controlling requests. So what before would have been a lot of code will become something like this:

<component ng-model="BeatmapPack"></component>

Once defined this will render as you can see here (the mangenta tiles):

I'd really love to hear some feedback from all of you! What do you want to see happening to the osu!mirror? What have you been missing? Anything that's constructive will be heard and considered! ^^

A public beta will launch in mid january or closely around that. Another big update to this will be, that osu!mirror will be (and already has) become the official housing of osu!droid. That means, to all of you hash-submission-cheater: Android devices have a unique-hardware-id which is always send :P take a hint!

That's all for now, i will be updating this with progress as soon as it's happening!
Stefan
Shiiiiiiit, this looks great.
neico
Oh custom maps, that'll help those who want multitouch beatmaps on osu!droid :D
Topic Starter
nanashiRei

Stefan wrote:

Shiiiiiiit, this looks great.
Far from done! And wait until you see it in action :) google "one page layout" :D
Azmato
Now I can download beatmap pack easily!!! at last.♡
Marcin

neico wrote:

Oh custom maps, that'll help those who want multitouch beatmaps on osu!droid :D
Oh you...
pixeldesu

nanashiRei wrote:

I don't know why, but some of these elements on this "example" page remind me of Bootstrap.
Okay, the buttons and the row layout, maybe (and these icons :3)

Anyway, looks great :3
Topic Starter
nanashiRei
Nobody ever said that i don't:

but i am currently modding it to be a little more flat and the colours will be osu!mirror-ish :P

Watch this if you want to know why AngularJS is awesome:

XPJ38

nanashiRei wrote:

Watch this if you want to know why AngularJS is awesome:

—Not working Youtube link—
Fixed that for you.

Nice work btw :) Very readable and shit.

edited on demand.
Topic Starter
nanashiRei
Oh, thanks, mhm

Edit: It's confusing, most forums/blogs have full video links for yt tags, then there is a select few with just video ID ^^ anyway could you edit your post to remove the duplicate, thanks :3
Marcin
This angular js looks so helpful :O
Topic Starter
nanashiRei
Not just that, whenever you think "oh do i really have to repeat this crap?" then it's time for angularJS. :) It's really cool when you want to build grids or tables from JSON (Ajax) and don't want to deal with DOM Manipulation stuff ^^ -> make a controller in an app and add models :D
Topic Starter
nanashiRei
Can you belive, that this was done with 200 lines of code?

It's lovely going to try and capture a short video of how it looks in action, will post it when i manage to do so :)
H_Hitachiin

nanashiRei wrote:

Can you belive, that this was done with 200 lines of code?

It's lovely going to try and capture a short video of how it looks in action, will post it when i manage to do so :)
:o
Topic Starter
nanashiRei

As promised, but it's kinda laggy, my notebook only has the E2-1800 APU :'(