forum

[invalid] Karaoke Play Mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Jarby
I'm thinking about a Karaoke mode. Hit circles are activated by singing at the correct time, sliders are activated by holding a syllable for the length of it and spinners are done by either screaming as loud as you can, or by singing random syllables as fast as possible. I haven't decided yet.

Pitch detection wouldn't be possible without having an unreasonable amount of coding and mapper attention, so forget that. Maps without vocals or Insane difficulties can just be ignored by the player, and replays can be saved off and online with or without vocal playback. Lyric support and specifically made for (but unranked) difficulties would help a lot.

Is all of this possible with a standard microphone? That is my only concern at the moment. Most microphones have reasonably good background noise filters and a sensitivity setting in the osu! client may help, but is it even feasible? I am not sure, not at all.
Rolled
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
RemmyX25

Rolled wrote:

I hope we can spectate this
There are just some people I don't want to see trying karaoke.... nor do I want people to hear my bad voice

/me facepalms
Topic Starter
Jarby

RemmyX25 wrote:

Rolled wrote:

I hope we can spectate this
There are just some people I don't want to see trying karaoke.... nor do I want people to hear my bad voice

/me facepalms
Of course, there would be an option to mute your voice on spectation. Take advantage of new players who forgot to turn it on?

I can imagine Marisa would be fun interesting fucking insane with this mode.

Download: Varade - EastNewSound - Black Lotus [Collab] (2011-05-22) Osu.osr
An64fan
A bit out-there of an idea, but I like it. I myself don't have a mic (though everyone keeps bugging me to get one), but this sounds like it could be fun. Would definitely take a lot of time to do something like this and even make it particularly usable, but it's an awesome idea and would make a very awesome mode.
Remco32
Sounds awesome!
Olinad
Well, It would sound awesome if beatmaps actually followed the singing line. But they usually don't... So to sing songs you should actually look for beatmaps created for this use!
Some may be created, but would it be worth it?
silasw
Seems more like a separate game. I like the idea of a mode with a microphone though. Maybe don't call it karaoke mode, more like beatboxing mode.
Jeffro
Indeed. Maybe he can take a look at how much difference of db someone makes when making a sound in his mic and register that as a hit. Sounds more like a job to do with Taiko-like mode though to make stacks a long sound or something.

Would be crazy to hear someone do Owen was her and go a a a a a a a a a a a a on the stacks XD
ThePassingShadow
...Terrible idea...

How would this ever be able to work ?
An64fan

ThePassingShadow wrote:

Who knows, but obviously everyone (else) thinks this would be awesome (including me). :P

I guess it could make use of volume and pitch of the music?
Topic Starter
Jarby
Not a bump.

By the way, this could probably work with a modified Taiko interface.
ThePassingShadow

An64fan wrote:

ThePassingShadow wrote:

Who knows, but obviously everyone (else) thinks this would be awesome (including me). :P

I guess it could make use of volume and pitch of the music?
Eh. It would be really hard to implement. It barely works in Rock Band...
An64fan

Butanero wrote:

But peppy can code anything, so who knows.
peppy
It would require mappings of the pitch of the song, of course. If it was just volume based, that's a different story.
fufe
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.

peppy
That's because they failed at implementing it properly ;).
Topic Starter
Jarby

fufe wrote:

You guys know about this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UltraStar
basically ultrastar is to singstar as osu! is to EBA/oendan

This idea barely worked for me on that. I sing vocals on expert in rock band so failing at/with this was just frustrating.
I'm not trying to suggest a Singstar rip-off. Pitch detection, I assume, would be the only truly troubling part to code, and It's a bad idea, seeing as it would have to be adjusted separately for every beatmap.
fufe
If its not pitch based then it would basically be volume based, right? You would need a pretty high quality mic to pull that off I think. You would have to fight background noise and static and crap like that. I've used a handfull of different mics to use for Ventrillo for Wow. Trying to set up non-push to talk sensitivity was almost always more trouble than its worth. Same goes for games that auto broadcast when you talk on Xbox live like rock band or GoW or whatever. Usually have to just mute and unmute when i wanna talk.

I know i do sing along or even beatbox with songs when im playing sometimes but i still dont understand how this would work.
Topic Starter
Jarby

fufe wrote:

If its not pitch based then it would basically be volume based, right? You would need a pretty high quality mic to pull that off I think. You would have to fight background noise and static and crap like that. I've used a handfull of different mics to use for Ventrillo for Wow. Trying to set up non-push to talk sensitivity was almost always more trouble than its worth. Same goes for games that auto broadcast when you talk on Xbox live like rock band or GoW or whatever. Usually have to just mute and unmute when i wanna talk.
I don't think background noise would be a big problem with sensitivity settings. If not, you always have the option of buying a decent microphone.
FurukawaPan
This sounds like a different game entirely. But spectation mode would SOOO make this worthwhile :lol:
iJXL
it would be great if we have a new game mode!! Osu!Karaoke!! i really like to sing! kekekeke :)
deadbeat
denied sorry. and please don't bump old completed requests :p