forum

/np is an osu!direct link [Resolved] [Added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
K2J
What title says. If you're passing a link to someone else, you often have to navigate to the map's online menu, click "open thread", and copy the URL yourself. It'd be nicer (and cleaner) if simply showing what you're now playing would be a link, if it's uploaded.
LuigiHann
smart
Rolled
Maybe a different command other than /np, since sometimes people just like to let everybody know what they're doing.
RemmyX25
/link perhaps?

+1 support
An64fan
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Ekaru
It would say, "this user was a dumbass and tried to link to a nonexistant map"

Well, maybe not exactly like that, but you get the idea. I have no opinion about this idea though. I don't know what to think of it.
Topic Starter
K2J
It... wouldn't create a link? Come on guys, that's pretty simple.

And I disagree with having a separate command. Using /np lets people choose to get the map, even if you're not explicitly sending it out for modding.
An64fan
I don't think I'd like to type /np to show what map I'm playing and have it show up a link...... Why I vouch for a separate command.
Hyperworm
ITT: confusion.

Did you know: links can have descriptive text that differs from the link destination URL? If you've ever been on "the internet", you may even have seen this concept in action already! :lol:
([/extreme tongue-in-cheek not to be taken seriously] :P)

Even if this isn't already possible in the osu! client, I can't imagine it would be very hard to implement.

Anyway, seriously: K2J, I think lots of people are assuming that the link you mention in the OP has the link URL as its text, replacing the current behaviour entirely. ._. I don't see a need for a separate command.

Why explicitly an osu!direct link though? This would be useful for regular players too. Maybe it could just work as a regular link if you don't have osu!direct? (OK, now it's getting more complicated. >_>)
Topic Starter
K2J
Like this: I type /np, and...

*K2J is listening to Jun Senoue - Egg Fleet
Like any link that's part of the osu!Direct pickup, if you have Direct, it'll bring up the screen, and if you don't, it'll just open the page. Sorry if the thread title confused anyone - I'm just so used to seeing any link I click get the osu!Direct dialog for all my links.

I don't see what's so complicated about this. All it's going to do is make your /np commands have an embedded link. Why anyone would want to turn off this functionality once implemented is beyond me, so speak up if there's some sort of vital thing I'm missing.
FurukawaPan
I think it should be a separate command, providing a link to a beatmap in irc. /np is just a text string showing what you're doing. Besides it would fail if you did it on a map you hadn't uploaded yet.
Hyperworm
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Topic Starter
K2J
Urp. I don't really use IRC that often... yeah, I can see why that would be a problem.

Is the IRC client open-source?
Echo
osu chat does not and will not support links embedded into text. If you want it to work like that, then osu!direct will have to parse the song artist/name, which might (but unlikely) result in multiple results.
Shikaku_old

Echo wrote:

osu chat does not and will not support links embedded into text. If you want it to work like that, then osu!direct will have to parse the song artist/name, which might (but unlikely) result in multiple results.
*K2J is listening to Jun Senoue - Egg Fleet http://osu.ppy.sh/s/2639
Echo
I obviously meant non-urls.
An64fan
Topic Starter
K2J

Echo wrote:

All right, then, my idea's out the window. I vote in favor of the /link command.
Jeffro
Echo

Jeffro wrote:

I saw the beatmap link in a few people's /np today but its not clickable. Anyway to fix that? :)

peppy's todo list wrote:

1. /me with URLs in it means the URLs are not hyperlinked.
Jeffro
anonymous_old

Shikaku wrote:

*K2J is listening to Jun Senoue - Egg Fleet http://osu.ppy.sh/s/2639
Why can't the IRC client parse a special format for hyperlinks?

For example,

Raw IRC message wrote:

:K2J PRIVMSG #osu :\001ACTION is listening to [Jun Senoue - Egg Fleet](http://osu.ppy.sh/s/2639)\001
would translate into

What you see wrote:

* K2J is listening to Jun Senoue - Egg Fleet
This feature would even allow you to inline your own URL's in any message, not just this special case. (This may cause malicious exploitations, such as this: http://osu.ppy.sh/. That can be filtered somehow, though.)
Echo
If that's in the IRC specifications, then I have no problems with it. If not, don't forget that normal IRC clients won't support this and will end up looking weird for those of us who generally use external clients.

The other way to do it would be to process the message server-side; if the client is osu! then send it like that and have osu! change it into a hyperlink, otherwise post the link after the message.

Of course, I still prefer having a separate command :P
Topic Starter
K2J
I think I would, too, now that I've seen it in action. Should I change the topic title?
anonymous_old
peppy
I was trying to think of a markup that would falback for normal clients and also look legible, and haven't come up with anything better than your suggestion strager. Thanks
Topic Starter
K2J

peppy wrote:

2009-03-19
(+) Web links in /me messages now link correctly.
(+) /np links now link correctly.
Yeaaaaaaah