forum

Switching to keyboard+mouse

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
nooblet
I tried switching to keyboard+mouse today, and I can't say I dislike it completely. I'm able to do more things that I wasn't able to do before in insane maps (still can't pass, but almost there!). The only problem is there seems to be a small timing difference than when using mouse-only. There are a couple maps where I have A/S's on, and can't even pass them any more with keyboard :3. Is this something I just have to get used to by playing more with keyboard? It seems like I have to press a little earlier on keyboard than I did with mouse-only. This could just be because I'm using separate hands as well so I'm not used to it since it's still the first time trying...
On a related note, if anyone has any tips from their own experiences when switching to mouse+keyboard, those would be nice too XD.
kriers
Use a decent keyboard that doesn't hurt your fingers. Find a decent techique for streams that works for lower bpm and build on this technique instead of creating a new one that only works for fast bursts.

If you feel you have to press early it could be input latency which you can easily adjust to by amplifying your effects volume and listening closely to the hitsounds ingame instead of the keyboard sounds.
Ohrami

kriers wrote:

Find a decent techique for streams that works for lower bpm and build on this technique instead of creating a new one that only works for fast bursts.
Or just have two techniques, like me :3
Topic Starter
nooblet
There are different techniques for streaming? o_o" I thought it's just alternating keys... Elaborate please? @_@
I've been practicing on Mami Kawada - Joint (TV Size) [xxheroxx's Hard], half of it is just slow streaming. I don't even know if it could be considered streaming, it's quite slow, 2/beat at 180bpm. I don't really have many beatmaps, I've only been playing songs from anime/touhou until now... are there any suggested streaming beatmaps other than "Niko - Made of fire"?
As far as keyboards go I think I'm okay, I use a macbook (running windows) and my other keyboard is also the ultrathin type.
kriers

Kyou-kun wrote:

kriers wrote:

Find a decent techique for streams that works for lower bpm and build on this technique instead of creating a new one that only works for fast bursts.
Or just have two techniques, like me :3
Wouldn't recommend anyone to make several techniques simultaneously, though.
JappyBabes
So you're telling me I've been doing it wrong.
tarticulate

kriers wrote:

Wouldn't recommend anyone to make several techniques simultaneously, though.
...I do
kriers
Do whatever you like, but just saying it can get messy.

I've had a pretty bad experience developing techniques with both hands.
In the end I dropped trying to play cheap burst streams until my slow streaming technique had settled into my fingers properly.

I also invented a mouse only style that made alternating easy but I could hardly use my old style afterwards.
winber1

nooblet wrote:

On a related note, if anyone has any tips from their own experiences when switching to mouse+keyboard, those would be nice too XD.
when i realized i could use keyboard as well, i felt like a retard and started using keyboard, and I instantly became pro B-)
B

B-)))))
:33======
Zare

nooblet wrote:

There are different techniques for streaming? o_o" I thought it's just alternating keys... Elaborate please? @_@
I've been practicing on Mami Kawada - Joint (TV Size) [xxheroxx's Hard], half of it is just slow streaming. I don't even know if it could be considered streaming, it's quite slow, 2/beat at 180bpm. I don't really have many beatmaps, I've only been playing songs from anime/touhou until now... are there any suggested streaming beatmaps other than "Niko - Made of fire"?
As far as keyboards go I think I'm okay, I use a macbook (running windows) and my other keyboard is also the ultrathin type.
There are different techniques for likely everything. In the end, the most important thing is that u find a way to play that's comfortable for you.

Also, probably the very best map for practicing slow streams: Pachelbel's Canon
Try to get as high accuracy as possible on that map and then play faster songs.
Topic Starter
nooblet

Zarerion wrote:

I tried it out, there's just one problem. I can pretty much FC the whole beginning part (including shorter and the close-together streams), but I go splat when the faster stream comes in. Is there any way to practice only a part of a map ?_?
Zare

nooblet wrote:

Zarerion wrote:

I tried it out, there's just one problem. I can pretty much FC the whole beginning part (including shorter and the close-together streams), but I go splat when the faster stream comes in. Is there any way to practice only a part of a map ?_?
First of all, the streams don't get faster, they just get longer. That's important. Through the whole song, the 1/4 beats sound the same. I recommend you to listen to the hitsounds.

If you really want to practice only a certain part, you can go into Edit mode and test the map by pressing f5.
kriers
Go to editor. Mark everything up to the final stream and delete it.
Save it as new difficulty with a random given name.
zhurai
I couldn't do it right, so all I use the keyboard for is for streaming, and then... well.. single click mouse (trying to learn how to use both buttons on mouse too)

kinda going ok... only I turned down the dpi of the mouse too so my aim is off for further things...

couldn't use the keyboard at all other than for streaming :|
enik