forum

[osu!mania] SV changes to change scroll speed [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +19
Topic Starter
Agka
I'd like SV changes to be able to change the scrolling speed during a song in osu!mania.

There's a hell of a lot of reasons- stop support, intensity changes for maps such as xepher, and a hell of a lot of creativity to be explored that at this moment can be done only with BPM changes.

Discuss.
Nyanderfull
I support anything with bpm changes and creativity.
Loctav
There are maps who make an awesome use of it.

I support this to be added.
Make slider velocity changes also change the scrolling speed ;___;

wanwan159 wrote:

I support anything with bpm changes and creativity.
not bpm changes. SV changes.
those
peppy himself has also wondered why slider velocity doesn't tie into the scroll speed of osu!mania.
Rei Hakurei
SV changes would affect the scrolling speed, but how about Slider Velocity Constant itself? if SV default of beatmap is didn't give an effect then it could be better to prevent the very high scrolling speed for normal bpm
Topic Starter
Agka
i'd rather have default scrolling not affected by the initial SV variable. but to each his own :p
jemhuntr
Topic Starter
Agka

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/102173 ?

we have pretty different reasons and ideas

this is for enhancing creativity and making it at times, harder, using variations of the slider velocity

while that seems to just want to make it easier by using the base slider speed.
mm201
It should be handled the same way as taiko, imo.
jemhuntr

Agka wrote:

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/102173 ?

we have pretty different reasons and ideas

this is for enhancing creativity and making it at times, harder, using variations of the slider velocity

while that seems to just want to make it easier by using the base slider speed.
oh.

mm201 wrote:

this.
Rei Hakurei

mm201 wrote:

in that case the SV is the important key here. as well to prevent initial SV changes abuse (such as 0.4, 3.6, etc.) so the initial SV is nullified and only checks the green timing~ (so high initial SV and low initial SV is treated as same),
mm201
Following SV makes sense to me since it allows the mapper to control the scroll speed more precisely. (If we don't give mappers control of this, you can bet they'll hack their way around, hurting mapping.) Player custom approach speed can be combined on top of it.
Hanyuu
if the scrolling is like in taiko you can not make alot of bpm effects(tricks like in festival of ghost 2 like in the video are not possible then anymore). also it would be very weird on SV changes because the notes that are changed will come faster than the notes before it so notes are falling each in different speed.

the way it is now is better i think because it feels like the notes are lying on the field and the field is moving towards you with all notes at the right place. If you change that to taiko like scrolling it is like the field stops and SV controlls the note speed. It is very inaccurate and looks bugged on speed changes.

Also if you let the mapper chose the scrolling speed is just stupid again. Everyone should set it before playing to their speed they can read and are comfortable to play. also this will probably lead to abuse by the mapper and dont say now somethink like "mods can take care of that" because it is not going to happen because everyone got their own way of playing and what works for one will not work for the others most of the time. also it is inconsistent because you will end with different speeds for songs with same or close BPM which is stupid again because you have to remember what speed to set for each song seperately.

I have played a different fan game like osu mania before and it used just that taiko like scrolling that you want and it was really bad. It was just annoying to play the inconsistency in speed modifiers and you could do none of the BPM tricks you can do now. I dont know know what tricks or creative stuff if you have in mind but just try in osu editor doing some of that in taiko mode and see if that works for you. Or if you want i can link you the other game (it has an editor aswell and basicly is what you want) and try there first and see if your going to be happy how it is. For me the way it is now it is like the original and its the best, and i hope those SV changes never get implemented.
jemhuntr

Hanyuu wrote:

if the scrolling is like in taiko you can not make alot of bpm effects(tricks like in festival of ghost 2 like in the video are not possible then anymore). also it would be very weird on SV changes because the notes that are changed will come faster than the notes before it so notes are falling each in different speed.
You can't even make bpm effects in most songs unless you double or half the bpm.
No. There will not be a time when 2 notes will fall at a different speed.

Hanyuu wrote:

the way it is now is better i think because it feels like the notes are lying on the field and the field is moving towards you with all notes at the right place. If you change that to taiko like scrolling it is like the field stops and SV controlls the note speed. It is very inaccurate and looks bugged on speed changes.
???

Hanyuu wrote:

Also if you let the mapper chose the scrolling speed is just stupid again. Everyone should set it before playing to their speed they can read and are comfortable to play. also this will probably lead to abuse by the mapper and dont say now somethink like "mods can take care of that" because it is not going to happen because everyone got their own way of playing and what works for one will not work for the others most of the time. also it is inconsistent because you will end with different speeds for songs with same or close BPM which is stupid again because you have to remember what speed to set for each song seperately.
Changing scrolling speed within a map emphasizes some parts of the song. And I don't think abused maps would be ranked anyways, unless the diff is uber insane.
??? This will be a multiplier, and it will not change your map speed preference.

Hanyuu wrote:

I have played a different fan game like osu mania before and it used just that taiko like scrolling that you want and it was really bad. It was just annoying to play the inconsistency in speed modifiers and you could do none of the BPM tricks you can do now. I dont know know what tricks or creative stuff if you have in mind but just try in osu editor doing some of that in taiko mode and see if that works for you. Or if you want i can link you the other game (it has an editor aswell and basicly is what you want) and try there first and see if your going to be happy how it is. For me the way it is now it is like the original and its the best, and i hope those SV changes never get implemented.
I don't really know of any bpm effects you could add in a song with a constant bpm. And if you think that notes would fall at different speeds at the same time, you're wrong.
Sorry if I'm not getting your point that much.
Hanyuu

JeMhUnTeR wrote:

Hanyuu wrote:

You can't even make bpm effects in most songs unless you double or half the bpm.
No. There will not be a time when 2 notes will fall at a different speed.

Hanyuu wrote:

???

Hanyuu wrote:

Changing scrolling speed within a map emphasizes some parts of the song. And I don't think abused maps would be ranked anyways, unless the diff is uber insane.
??? This will be a multiplier, and it will not change your map speed preference.

Hanyuu wrote:

I don't really know of any bpm effects you could add in a song with a constant bpm. And if you think that notes would fall at different speeds at the same time, you're wrong.
Sorry if I'm not getting your point that much.
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/5069
watch this song on hard mode taiko autoplay you will see what i mean. This is what will happen if you let timing sections regulate the speed with slider velocity.

Hanyuu wrote:

???
The way it is set for this game type is like. if you imagine a conveyor belt and the notes are lying on it. The BPM directs how fast the belt goes. If you put in timing sections with different slider velocity it will apply a different speed for this section with a different SV and it will end that the notes in there are falling faster or slower than the rest of the song. it will end like the scrolling in taiko where notes are falling in regular speed and while that some other notes with different slider velocity blend in. its like a chaos mode and looks really wrong.
jemhuntr
nah you still don't get how this would work. Bpm will change the speed of the notes. And at the same time, slider velocity also changes the speed of the notes in the same way. In your example, bpm will tell the initial speed of the conveyor belt. SV will tell when and how much the conveyor belt speeds up or slows down.
bwross
I think there's a disconnect here. If things are done "like Taiko", then Hanyuu is correct... multiple layers of objects moving at different speeds over top of one another is not an uncommon sight when playing a converted map in Taiko. JeMhUnTeR probably didn't understand that agreeing with doing things the Taiko way wasn't what he actually wanted or was really thinking.
jemhuntr
oh. but we're talking about SV being able to affect the fall speed, right? and not about the transition between speeds.
mm201
I too only meant the conversion of BPM/SV/SVM into fall speed when I mentioned taiko.
Hanyuu
Ok i really dont understand anything at all then anymore i think ... lol. But isnt it then the same thing you are allready able to do with BPM changes now?
those

Hanyuu wrote:

Ok i really dont understand anything at all then anymore i think ... lol. But isnt it then the same thing you are allready able to do with BPM changes now?
Yes, except according to the ranking criteria that's not allowed.
show more