forum

The Uber Password Thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Neo@lex
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
eee
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Neo@lex
It's eee, isn't it...
eee
mattyu007
My password in unguessable <3

Well..kinda
lukewarmholiday
Shiftyness13
I once had a password that was 72 letters long. >:D It was some of the lyrics from the Llama Song. >.<
Topic Starter
Kasada

Shiftyness13 wrote:

I once had a password that was 72 letters long. >:D It was some of the lyrics from the Llama Song. >.<
Crap. For a second, I thought I was going to be the one with the longest password. surprisingly Then again, my password is a random string of letters, symbols, and numbers, so I guess I win the award for most secure. ;)
Topic Starter
Kasada
Still, this topic's purpose (Or my intended) was to see who had the longest password around here.
Loginer
Reply-edit (original post was the first paragraph):
Length hardly matters. As long as a password is longer than about 15 letters, has at least 80 bits of entropy (basically, the randomness of the password), and is too random to be guessed by a human (a password like "chocolatebananakeyboard" is not, while something like "hsiCm5lax7" is), it's safe enough. "iwasonceatreehouseilivedinacakebutineversawthewaytheorangeslayedtherake" has 130 bits of entropy, which is more than sufficient, but it could be easily guessed by someone who only sees a part of the passphrase (like, say, "livedinacak"), and is a pain in the ass to type in.

"f6NzZ1o61OnYIwr4u9Ld", on the other hand, is almost 4 times shorter, has 108 bits of entropy, and is almost completely random. It uses both small and large letters and numbers, which makes the password much more secure than a password like "t85pt5xn3553ekreb3yf" (80 bits), although that's also sufficient if you find the capitalized letters way too hard to memorize.

And if you think "omg must use teh entire smp table for safety", WROOONG. "íCÙæÙzu<}¡Ýß" has 109 bits of entropy, which is only one bit more than in "f6NzZ1o61OnYIwr4u9Ld" (although that one is 5 symbols longer), but is ridiculously hard to memorize and incompatible with a lot of software and websites. Just add a special symbol like ")" or "&" somewhere in the middle of the password to make most brute force attacks unsuccessful, and you'll be fine.

A fairly simple password like "85ukd8u/0se2plz1", which has a length of 16 symbols, 86 bits of entropy, and only lowercase letters and numbers with a special symbol in the middle (vs. "85ukd8u0se2plz12" (75 bits)) would be random enough, easy to type in, pretty much impossible to guess and very hard to brute force in most cases. It would also be pretty easy to memorize with a bit of effort. Of course, you also have to be careful with how you use the password. If you use it for all of your important stuff, you'll be screwed if someone finds it, which could be as simple as tricking you to "register" on a website.

Like I previously said, if you want to be safe, use multiple passwords like these, preferably one unique password for every site you register on, and use a password manager like KeePass to keep them all in a safe place. Oh, and don't put all of your eggs in one basket; make several backups of the database file. Put them on USB drives, put them on other computers, upload them to the Internet (the file is encrypted, silly). If you don't, and your HDD crashes or something similar, you're fucked.

Kasada wrote:

Still, this topic's purpose (Or my intended) was to see who had the longest password around here.
Sure, but some people here seem to think length is the only important factor, when it's really the least important one. I just felt like writing something educational for once.
Atmey
Or generate a password and try to remember it.
Echo
I used that for my WPA password - 13 letters of randomly generated goodness
Loginer

Atmey wrote:

Or generate a password and try to remember it.
Thanks for reading and understanding my post. I love it when my effort is not wasted. :)
Sigh.
Ivalset

Loginer wrote:

Thanks for reading and understanding my post. I love it when my effort is not wasted. :)
Sigh.
You're posting a serious post in what used to be random, and you expect comprehension?
Keyboard_old
CheeseWarlock
I often use passwords combining random generation with patterns/variations on real words. My main one is 17 characters.

Sites that only support alphanumeric characters are brute-force-encouraging bastards. >:|
HateMeh
would something like this be secure ?

CrIu_lawO9fR6uGOeto_0roaxlACrIAPriemiaf6aph$AmO*ch6Et*lA3ieqI!TH
Loginer
cyanberryio
I used to use my ID number from school, but that was only 5 numbers. :P I don't use it anymore, don't try.
I used a 6 letter acronym from something else after that. :P Gotta really get a new password. I tried the two combined also.
And I also used the phone company(forgot which one)commercial: idkmybffjill once. :P Not anymore though, it's too long for me. :P

I suck at passwords though, most of the time, I get logged out from something and would hate to retype it.
Ekaru
Swiftwolf Yellowtail
My password is 8/9 characters long, and it's combined with letters and numbers. No symbols, even though I should put some symbols in one just to be a bit more secure, especially when I start to think that someone might get to my accounts (on sites that I don't want to lose my account on the most), even no one has, yet. :D
Tylian_old
Longest is 140 characters, Letters, Numbers and Symbols, Recalled from memory (No KeePass)

Shortest is 12 chars/nums/symbols
Detective Tuesday
Discussing your passwords is never a good idea. Discuss.
Loginer

Detective Tuesday wrote:

Discussing your passwords is never a good idea if your password sucks. Discuss.
Fix'd.
Hara
Ya...

Realistically, if you look at time bruteforcing and you actually use more than lower case letters, anything above 10 for something not so very important is overkill.

I tend to use a 6 (mostly this for very unimportant stuff that none would even care to want),9 or 15 combination of lower/upper case letters with numbers and for the more secure stuff I tend to stick to a 15-20 combination of lower/upper/numbers and symbols.
tonychiu1208
Longest:
tonychiu1208tonychiu24362685279776395qazwsxedcrfvtgbyhnujmikolp!^@&#*$(%)+-
(though it is long, but it is easy to remember)
all online accounts:either my icq or my phone.

pc password:tonychiu1208

online games password:
things generated by KeyPass
bagnz0r
Azure_Kite
kuwarudo
12 characters, computer generated, I wrote it in a sticky note 7 years ago. I threw it away after memorizing it by accident.
GolGate
Let me check...

10 Letters, a mix of letters, shift, and numbers.
11 Letters, a mix of letters, shift, numbers, and symbols.

I've tried a complex set of password, but it fails. Horribly.
Echo
49 lowerupperalphanumersymbolic characters
ignorethis
My password for osu account is a constant number, as well as several other forums. I use a simple word for other less important passwords, and another unique password is employed on my online chat program. I won't tell you too exactly, but it represents a
SPOILER
no I won't say

oh forgot to tell, shortest <- 9 chars, longest <- 15 chars
Yuukari-Banteki
my passwords a lot of the time have names in them making up about half of the password or more

but the names are of my old pet mice that died when i was seven, and they AREN'T common so good LUCK guessing them. once you find that you have the other half of my password, which is designed to make it more secure :3

the only time i make an easily breakable password is when i dont really care about my account

EDIT: oops i just realized i forgot to change my osu! password to one that wasn't easily breakable when i started actually caring. brb fixing password
Kitsunemimi
My password is 8 characters long and I use it for everything!!........It's fully lowercase, all it is, is just a random word. It's not an existing English word nor is it meant to be, but it's not like it's gibberish or anything. Yea I might change it in a couple of years so feel free to ruin my life. :P
Sleep Powder
12 characters long as my biggest and smallest is...7.

That's all...I don't make big passwords because I used to forget them easily.
Zatoichi
I use two passwords, of which I alternate between. Both are 7 characters long, but 8 if the password requires a number to be in it and/or the minimum requirement is 8 characters. I always use 0 for the number.

Oh, yeah, and for important shit its a 25 character long password. It's two adjectives and a noun with no spaces. I sometimes say it in chat.

ignorethis wrote:

oh forgot to tell, shortest <- 9 chars
Your password is "yathistoo".
ignorethis

Zatoichi wrote:

ignorethis wrote:

oh forgot to tell, shortest <- 9 chars
Your password is "yathistoo".
No. Obviously not.
Fishcaek-Chan
Wow! I can't even compare! I don't have many important things, my lonngest password is 8 characters long~ :?
CaptainFlameGuy
I usually use two passwords,

1 9-digits one, with both upper and lowercase characters, and a few numbers.
1 8-digits one, one lowercase character, rest consists of numbers.
WyndII
I use 2 passwords only.
Shortest password has 6 characters.
The clue is on my username here on osu! and its my password here and i mostly use this password in.. any site.
Longest password has 13 characters.
It starts with letter "w" and ends with letter "n"
show more