forum

osu! website translation project

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
peppy
I have added a new google translation system to the osu! site. For users who visit the osu! website with their default language set to something that isn't english, a toolbar will appear offering them a translated version. Initially, this translated copy is done using google translate, so there may be a lot of mistakes. Keep in mind that this feature is intended to help people that can't read english, not be perfectly translated.

That said, it also means that anyone can contribute to the translation. If you use the menu at the bottom-right to change your language, you will be able to hover any word or sentence on the site and offer a "suggestion":

You will need to be logged in to a google account to provide suggestions, I believe. Please start with corrections for important things, like buttons, warnings and notices. There isn't much point in providing corrections for forum posts, for example, unless they are announcements of stickies.

Important: For now it looks like suggestions are not working correctly. If you would like to help out, please send me your email address for now so I can add you as an editor.

If you want to help on a higher level, please PM me your google account email address, and I can add you as an editor. Editors can add fixes for whole sentences and also individual terms without approval.

Let me know how this works, and please keep feedback positive and constructive.
[Dellirium]
What to do with these artifacts? :<

And I changed some translations but still don't see them D:
Seph
They need approval before changes take place.

Its funny how it literally translates EVERYTHING. Even names :D
[Dellirium]

Seph wrote:

They need approval before changes take place.
peppy added me to editors group.

Its funny how it literally translates EVERYTHING. Even names :D
Yeah, translated usernames are funny and sad in the same time.
Topic Starter
peppy
For now it looks like suggestions are not working correctly. If you would like to help out, please send me your email address for now so I can add you as an editor.
nanashiRei
The suggestions are not per-page in the translation api they are global to the translator of google. So the suggestions will appear once it has gotten enough aproval from google users.
Topic Starter
peppy
Leeg
I don't know why, but when translated into any language, the specific language forum is deleted partially.
XPJ38
Is there a way to definitely get rid off that toolbar? It comes back whenever I close/open my browser, even if I click on "Disable translation for this website" >.< (Yes, I accept and store cookies)

Fun time:

("plein d'entrain" means "full of life" in French, hahaha)
Leeg

XPJ38 wrote:

By the way, is there a way to definitely get rid off that toolbar? It comes back whenever I close/open my browser, even if I click on "Disable translation for this website" >.< (Yes, I accept and store cookies)
are you logged in with your google account??
XPJ38
Yes, I am.
Topic Starter
peppy
The toolbar should only show if:

* Your browser language isn't defaulting to english.
* You haven't chosen to hide it. If it is coming back, you likely have a plugin or option set to stop cookies being set in some specific cases. Tell me if you figure this one out (or if anyone else is having similar issues).

@Leeg: that's an alignment issue, which I will look at fixing (might want to report it in tech support so i don't lose track of it).
Morbon_old
Thx for translator, i loled hard from russian one.
Bass
it translated "ppy" to "pełen werwy" which means "full of verve" :) . I think it should avoid translation of nicks.
XPJ38

peppy wrote:

* You haven't chosen to hide it. If it is coming back, you likely have a plugin or option set to stop cookies being set in some specific cases. Tell me if you figure this one out (or if anyone else is having similar issues).
I still can't hide the toolbar on my computer (Firefox 16, French Win7), even with disabled addons and plugins :?

I tried to replicate the problem with every web browser on a fresh install of a French Windows 7 in a Virtualbox to see if it was specific to me. This is what I got:
  1. IE8 and last version of Chrome: work fine, toolbar is correctly hidden and never comes back.
  2. Firefox 16 with Flash Player: toolbar is permanently hidden only if you click on "Disable for English". "Disable translation for this website" works until you close/open the browser.
  3. Firefox 16 without Flash Player: toolbar never shows up, even if you have never visited osu.ppy.sh before. Don't ask me why :o
  4. Opera 12.10: toolbar is displayed but cannot be hidden, it comes back every time.
Weird.

This problem isn't osu-specific and occurs with every website with Google Translate toolbar (like this one).
Seph
I pretty much did the forum layout to tagalog first, will do the buttons later lol

Also I'm not experiencing that Google Translate toolbar being missing, I must be one lucky bastard.

By the way peppy is it possible to disable google translation in some parts of the website? If so that'd be convenient.

Edit: okay so apparently im experiencing something whenever i turn on the toolbar and close it. Whenever i check another page my browser turns blue for like 5 secs or so before loading the page. Note i dont have slow net D:
Repflez
Does anyone gets this bug?

The rest of the Other Languages forums does not appear when the translations are on.
Seph
It probably gets cut off because they are too long?
Bass
Nokeru

Repflez wrote:

Does anyone gets this bug?

The rest of the Other Languages forums does not appear when the translations are on.
^This. I lol'd
nanashiRei

peppy wrote:

This is not what the editing page implies.
Convinced, didn't see there was a all-new version of this. But then again, it could take a few hours, if not days, to populate through the entirety of googles massive CDN-thing.