forum

[Archived] difficulty calculation is running forever

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
SmoothCat
So I've got a new HDD and moved my osu! on it and now it has to recalculate all maps which is fine but its just calculating it for std and in the other modes(mania, taiko, ctb) its just calculating the maps that are made for the mode but not the std maps so almost every map is 0 stars now and its not making any progress for 3 hours now i also tried swtiching to stable but its seems that its not making any diffrence

osu! version: Stable 20200320 (latest)
Death
If you want the game to calculate your standard maps, you'll need to leave it open on the song selection screen with that specific mode select. If you have not done that, please do so. I don't know how many maps you have, but it could take quite a while to calculate everything.

If you want to actually check to see how many maps are being calculated, you can group your maps by difficulty. A group named "Not yet calculated" should be displayed containing all of the maps that have not yet been calculated along with how many of them there are. That number will not update in real time though, so if you want to check up on the game's progress you will need to get the list to refresh. You can do that by switching to a different grouping type and then switching back to "By Difficulty".
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

If you want the game to calculate your standard maps, you'll need to leave it open on the song selection screen with that specific mode select. If you have not done that, please do so. I don't know how many maps you have, but it could take quite a while to calculate everything.

If you want to actually check to see how many maps are being calculated, you can group your maps by difficulty. A group named "Not yet calculated" should be displayed containing all of the maps that have not yet been calculated along with how many of them there are. That number will not update in real time though, so if you want to check up on the game's progress you will need to get the list to refresh. You can do that by switching to a different grouping type and then switching back to "By Difficulty".

im in the menu screen with the mode selected but its not making progress it stays at the same number for like 3 hours now

edit: to be clear its not processing a single map
Death
Leave the game on the song selection screen, not the main menu. And please make sure you are refreshing the list to check the updated number. If nothing is being processed, there is most likely some specific map that is causing issues that will need to be removed.
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

Leave the game on the song selection screen, not the main menu. And please make sure you are refreshing the list to check the updated number. If nothing is being processed, there is most likely some specific map that is causing issues that will need to be removed.

im in the song selection screen all the time (i called it menu screen but its the song selection screen) and nothing happens and it would make no sense that a map would cause it cause i did the same 2 days ago with the exact same beatmap folder and had no issue there so im pretty sure its not because of a beatmap but i cant confirm also how should i spot that map? like i need it to calculate cause my performance is bad like this and i need to see the sr to sort the maps
Death
How many maps do you have that are uncalculated?
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

How many maps do you have that are uncalculated?

Death
Okay, that's going to be pretty impossible then. How about you try restarting your computer to see if that makes a difference.

If you are still having issues, try this: Close osu!, open your install folder, find the "osu!.db" file, and remove it. Then restart the game and head to the song selection screen. You should see all of your beatmaps reprocess, that means you removed the correct file and you should let the game do that. After it's done, then leave the game open on the song selection screen for a bit and check to see if your maps start calculating again.
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

Okay, that's going to be pretty impossible then. How about you try restarting your computer to see if that makes a difference.

If you are still having issues, try this: Close osu!, open your install folder, find the "osu!.db" file, and remove it. Then restart the game and head to the song selection screen. You should see all of your beatmaps reprocess, that means you removed the correct file and you should let the game do that. After it's done, then leave the game open on the song selection screen for a bit and check to see if your maps start calculating again.

it just processed for around 1min and now im stuck at 95.608 maps...

Edit: i wanna mention that i did exactly what you told me to do
Death
Try leaving it for a bit longer, I still think this might be caused by one particular map.

The only other thing I could think of trying would be to create a new osu! install somewhere on your computer and slowly move your maps from your old install into the new one. Move big groups of maps into the new install, let them calculate, then move another group in. Repeat until you get stuck again or it finishes. If you get stuck you can narrow down which map might be causing problems.
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

Try leaving it for a bit longer, I still think this might be caused by one particular map.

The only other thing I could think of trying would be to create a new osu! install somewhere on your computer and slowly move your maps from your old install into the new one. Move big groups of maps into the new install, let them calculate, then move another group in. Repeat until you get stuck again or it finishes. If you get stuck you can narrow down which map might be causing problems.

it calculated all std maps but again it wont calculate them for other modes
Dntm8kmeeatu
See If will calculate if you change your gamemode to mania taiko or catch and leave it there for a bit.
Death
Was the issue not that standard maps wouldn't calculate? If so, I'm not sure what your original issue was. If you switch your mode to other modes is it not calculating those modes?
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

Was the issue not that standard maps wouldn't calculate? If so, I'm not sure what your original issue was. If you switch your mode to other modes is it not calculating those modes?

no the issue isnt that the std maps wont calculate the issue im having is that when i switch the gamemode to taiko, mania or ctb it wont calcute the std maps for the mode i switched to like all std maps are 0 stars in the other gamemodes
Death
Standard maps are automatically converted to the game mode that you selected, which means they end up with a different star rating that needs to be calculated separately, which can still take a while. And you are saying that none of them are calculating at all, in any game mode (other than standard)?

If converts are what's not being calculated, why don't you follow the steps I listed above while keeping track of the number of uncalculated maps of one particular game mode? The point of that was to try and find out where difficulty calculation is getting stuck. It's not possible to do that if you are keeping track of the number of standard maps that are being calculated when you are having issues with other modes.
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

Standard maps are automatically converted to the game mode that you selected, which means they end up with a different star rating that needs to be calculated separately, which can still take a while. And you are saying that none of them are calculating at all, in any game mode (other than standard)?

If converts are what's not being calculated, why don't you follow the steps I listed above while keeping track of the number of uncalculated maps of one particular game mode? The point of that was to try and find out where difficulty calculation is getting stuck. It's not possible to do that if you are keeping track of the number of standard maps that are being calculated when you are having issues with other modes.

Dude i did exactly what u told me to do and i would keep an eye on the numbers BUT they are not changing so it is stuck at the same number without any progress at all and what i said was that the std maps wont recalculate for the choosen mode means maps that are made for catch are calculating for catch but maps that are made for std wont calculate for catch and thats the problem and the same goes for every other mode other than std and i tried the things u told me to do but as soon as the std maps are calculated and i switch to a diffrent mode it stops like its not calculating the std maps for other game modes i hope i made it more understandable now cause i really wanna solve my problem :c
Death
Okay, just to be clear. You created a fresh osu! install somewhere else on your computer. Then you moved a small group of beatmaps into that new install and let them calculate for standard. You then switched to a different game mode and none of the converts calculated at all?
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

Okay, just to be clear. You created a fresh osu! install somewhere else on your computer. Then you moved a small group of beatmaps into that new install and let them calculate for standard. You then switched to a different game mode and none of the converts calculated at all?

yes i did i did split my maps into like 20 diffrent groups but it doesnt matter what group of maps im importing its not calculating
Death
Honestly not sure what could be causing that behavior. For what it's worth, everything seems to be working fine for me, on all game modes. That is initially why I suspected some specific beatmap to be causing issues for you.

Do the maps calculate if you select them in-game?
Topic Starter
SmoothCat

Death wrote:

Honestly not sure what could be causing that behavior. For what it's worth, everything seems to be working fine for me, on all game modes. That is initially why I suspected some specific beatmap to be causing issues for you.

Do the maps calculate if you select them in-game?

so im sorry that i response so late but i reinstalled osu again and reimported and let the maps caclulate and again it gets stuck in the other modes and no the maps do not calculate when i select them i also tried playing them but even after i played them they wont calcluate so im really out of ideas

Edit: somehow it calculated the maps for every mode but ctb bad thats bad cause i mainly play ctb
show more