forum

Help on Streaming over 200bpm *longterm*

posted
Total Posts
show more
Amefuri Koneko
You don't need much strength to tap keyboard keys, and you don't get speed by lifting weights, especially heavy ones (they actually make muscles slower).
It's all pretty much about practice and personal ability.
lolcubes
In any case I found out that playing solar sect a couple of times a day only on keyboard does make a difference in the long run. My stamina isn't really that good and I still get tired on this map, but after I complete it a couple of times, certain things such as snow goose deathstream and certain other longer streams in 200~220 range become somewhat easy for me. Probably not a full 300 throughout the whole stream, because I am still bad at correctly finding the bpm for streaming, but let's just say that I don't get that many 100s either.
I guess keyboard players have an advantage here as they already have some basic stamina unlike me, who still uses mouseclicks for almost everything. :P

Now only if I would actually have a lot of time to play, heh.

Might not be the case for everyone, but it sure does help me.
kriers
I know you've been mentioning solar sect a lot- I guess I need to start playing it soon
enik
Do you guys exactly know what BPM are you currently streaming? or can you for example tap keys without music/circles in certain BPM?
Because I have no idea how to feel different BPMs and just smash keys on my max speed.
silmarilen
i find o'er the flood a better map to build stamina than solar sect.
when i played solar sect a couple of times i didnt get 1 bit better, barely got 200 combo.
after playing o'er the flood for a couple of times i got 1400 combo and then got 600 combo on solar sect.
Pacemaker

enik wrote:

Do you guys exactly know what BPM are you currently streaming? or can you for example tap keys without music/circles in certain BPM?
Because I have no idea how to feel different BPMs and just smash keys on my max speed.
You get the feel for it after a while. And no, I personally wouldn't be able to hold or feel a certain BPM without seeing circles lol
GoldenWolf

enik wrote:

This is the worst thing you can do, you can't learn to stream by this way :o
Try to play low bpm maps, listen to the hitsounds and learn to control your speed

This map helped me a lot at this
cirno-_old
I can stream up to 160 decently well. I get a B on World's End which iirc is over 170BPM but to me doesn't feel as hard as Mendes which is 168BPM. Maybe it's the length of the streams or something.

I've been playing maps from the stream compilation and also this:
http://osu.ppy.sh/s/43701

I practice just streams for no more than an hour a day, then I play regular maps for the remainder time I put into Osu which I think is also important. I went from a 50% accuracy in Mendes to almost 80% in just a little over a month, so I think I'm doing something right.
silmarilen
nah mendes is just a stupid map, i can stream anything from 140-190~ bpm and i cant do it either
GoldenWolf

cirno- wrote:

I get a B on World's End which iirc is over 170BPM but to me doesn't feel as hard as Mendes which is 168BPM. Maybe it's the length of the streams or something.
World's End (approved one) is 178 bpm and OD9, it's hard to keep a good accuracy.
Ohrami

Ami Furi Koneko wrote:

You don't need much strength to tap keyboard keys, and you don't get speed by lifting weights, especially heavy ones (they actually make muscles slower).
You need strong forearm muscles to move your fingers fast
LoGo
Method i found good on improving stamina is taiko+relax(but cons may be that you not gonna be able to hold your pen stable(if you play with tablet)
If someone still doesn't know, playing taiko with relax means that you just press in rhythm without looking on circle colors with 2 keys.
1. http://osu.ppy.sh/b/119666 Ono's taiko oni +relax
2. http://osu.ppy.sh/b/144026 in taiko mode +relax(requires good stamina)
Strange no one mentioned this http://osu.ppy.sh/b/151078 good for spacing practice.
VoidnOwO
:oops:
buny

Kyou-kun wrote:

Ami Furi Koneko wrote:

You need strong forearm muscles to move your fingers fast
you need coordination also
winber1
I actually adjust my stream speed and cursor movement speed by looking at either new combos, the ends of streams (which may or may not be a slider), or looking at numbers which I know will be a main beat of the song (usually 5, 9, 13 etc.). If it's a long ass deathstream like 20+ hitcircles long, I'm just like fuck it, and I just stream hoping I get it right. If I see or if I feel slightly behind, I will realize this by checking my distance between where my cursor is and where the next combo is (or next number, e.g. combo 9 ). However, if it's a really compressed stream, I look pretty exactly where my cursor is and I pay attention to the boundaries of the approach circle more
Wishy
I have no muscles whatsoever, not doing any real physical activity since 2004, and I'm a fast streamer.
Xaffy
Pretty sure stream speed is pretty much central nervous system based and not muscle strength based.
Ohrami
To tell how fast you need to stream, just look at the BPM

wtf

Also no, you need strong muscles to stream fast
Wishy
You'd be surprised at how weak I am. Don't you move your fingers with your tendons?
silmarilen
your tendons come from your muscles, so to move them you still use muscles
Neptune
I'm not the strongest either, and my streaming is badass too (210-240 on several days) , so I have no idea. I think it's also a bit of a mental thing.
Though, in my first days of osu I couldn't hit like 140bpm so, the more you play, the more you get.

For example, Cookiezi! Have you noticed his arm muscles? They aren't smashing either, really not smashing. And he can stream 222bpm continuous without problem and whatever not. Talent maybe? Passion? Or just strong fingers?
Tanzklaue
my streaming, while generally shit, is on some days more off than on others. for example, yesterday, despite being horribly exhausted from too few sleep, I could do some of the best streaming I had in a while (fcing a 196 BPM insane with OD8 and an acc that despite not being good was not horribly bad for my standards). on many other days, I don't even hit triplets correctly.

speed overall comes over time, and everyone progresses in different speeds there. stamina and accuracy (which are a necessity for long streams) is something that can only be build up with long practice times, unless you are naturally talented in that regard.
winber1
starting writing with your left hand until you can write as well as your right hand. voila. instant streaming
Tanzklaue

winber1 wrote:

starting writing with your left hand until you can write as well as your right hand. voila. instant streaming
who writes with only one hand?nvm penwriting ofc
buny

winber1 wrote:

how does that work?
Rianne_old

winber1 wrote:

I can do that and it doesn't help at all.
silmarilen
it is pretty much impossible to become as good at writing with your other hand as with your main hand
even if for some reason you cant use your main hand anymore and you have to switch
Rianne_old
both my hands have ugly hand writing and feel about as smooth while writing, it's just that I use right more often due to being used to it
cirno-_old
I've gotten to the point I can FC normal insane maps with normal 140-160BPM on my 1st through 5th try. For example:

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/183541
I S'd that first try and nearly S'd it with hidden right after.

But these kinds of streams:
http://youtu.be/A-WU99hSJs8

are still freakishly difficult for me. And streams that are longer than like 15 notes, you know like mendes, are also extremely difficult. I lose my sense of rhythm and end up attempting to gain it back as I hit lots of 50's/100's/ and a miss or two till the end of the long stream.

My main problem is that I'm not consistent. One day, I'll be alright and think I'm getting better, and the next day do as bad as I did 2 months ago. Streams are the only thing I'm not consistent on. Jumps I am slowly improving every day at, but streams not so much.

I don't want to keep S'ing just easy insane songs. I want to improve to play harder insane songs, but remain consistent of course.

So how do you practice streams? I, and maybe others, are totally gonna copy you ;)

I'll edit this post as advice comes to keep it organised and helpful.
VoidnOwO
GoldenWolf
Playing low bpm streams ( http://osu.ppy.sh/s/25871 for example ) helped me a lot. Listen to the hitsounds and ... practice :p
cirno-_old

BRBP wrote:

There's already two stream threads, how many more do we need?
search.php?keywords=stream&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=13&sc=1&sd=d&sr=topics&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I did that before making this topic. I'm not going to bump a super old thread, and this isn't about how fast your stream hitting speed is, so I say this thread is alright. Maybe streams should get its own sub-forum :P

GoldenWolf wrote:

Playing low bpm streams ( http://osu.ppy.sh/s/25871 for example ) helped me a lot. Listen to the hitsounds and ... practice :p
Just played it. S'd first try but broke a combo on some slider. Good map. Gives me confidence. Guess my problem is maybe I'm a bit ahead of myself concerning BPM?
VoidnOwO
Pacemaker
I train my basic streaming technique by just playing random insanes. 180-190 BPM are the most fun ones imo.

For physical training I use:
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/48098&m=0#

[SOLO] + Nofail. I can feel the pain in my arm whenever I just think about it.
winber1

cirno- wrote:

http://osu.ppy.sh/b/183541
I S'd that first try and nearly S'd it with hidden right after.
WTF I'M RANK #7 NOW.

i mean, uhh, what golden wolf said.

your cursor needs to move at a more steady rate, and just try not to panic when streaming even if you feel like when you're behind or ahead, just keep streaming. Unless you get x's, then you can panic a bit until you get back on track, but that's only if you miss.
Jordan
I have quite the same problem, i got worse at streaming every day since more than 1 month already. No matter how much I try to practice I keep getting worse at streams.
MillhioreF
Merged cirno-'s thread into Aqo's thread.
VoidnOwO

MillhioreF wrote:

Merged cirno-'s thread into Aqo's thread.
I won
enik
Can you please link the map on the video? I have stream complitation, but not this long one. (hate this search -.-`)
edit: nevermind, found this part in the middle of [V2 BPM150].
cirno-_old

enik wrote:

Can you please link the map on the video? I have stream complitation, but not this long one. (hate this search -.-`)
edit: nevermind, found this part in the middle of [V2 BPM150].
Yea I just edited the map. That's all.
show more