forum

auto switching input method.

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +17
Topic Starter
Rukatan
Well, I request this feature is for Asian Players. Sometimes the input method will make game laggy or crash when playing with input method enabled.
theowest
So automatically switch the input method whenever there's lag? Is that what you mean?

and how is this for Asian players only?
Frizz
Because Asian players are superiors
bwross
I believe the request is to have the input method turn off during play, and turn back on afterwards (or when you bring up IRC during play).
Topic Starter
Rukatan

theowest wrote:

So automatically switch the input method whenever there's lag? Is that what you mean?

and how is this for Asian players only?
Because only Asian Player uses input method, and if the key presses goes to the input method, it will make the game lag.

bwross wrote:

I believe the request is to have the input method turn off during play, and turn back on afterwards (or when you bring up IRC during play).
Yes, I means this.
TheVileOne
What?

Could someone explain to me what exactly the OP is talking about or save me the time and deny it for me?
theowest

Rukatan wrote:

Because only Asian Player uses input method, and if the key presses goes to the input method, it will make the game lag.
Sounds like something for tech support. maybe this request would decrease the lag.
TheVileOne
How can you interpret what "input method" means? This is like some inside joke. How do you get lag from switching an input method?
theowest
Something to do with how they write type their letters, not sure.

??
Saten
When you have Japanese keyboard layout enabled:

Alt + Caps lock for Hiragana or Katakana
or
Shift + Caps lock for Alphanumeric

This should work for you as well
Though I'm a bit unsure with Chinese. Hopefully it's the same.

Or just add another keyboard layout inside Chinese. Just click Show more... and select the language you want (differs depending on language of course)

In this way, I think you can avoid the lagging.
Oinari-sama
lol k I'll try to explain this a bit on behalf of "asian players"...

A lot of Chinese and Japanese Input method consist of 2 stages:

1) Alphabetical Input
2) Text Conversion Stage

For Japanese it converts Hiragana to Kanji, while for Chinese it converts raw Pingying to Chinese characters. In the conversion stage there will always be a pop up box displayed in game or in text editor. These pop up boxes are necessary because in Asian language,there may be multiple words with different meanings sharing the same spelling. The user will have to choose the right word each time he inputs some alphabets. (Ah...love the simplicity of the English language input)

The pop up box is probably what's causing the "lag" issue for the OP. (In fact it happened to me a few times too, but it's hard to reproduce so I have not yet reported it.) The pop up box is essentially some sort of overlay, for reasons unknown to me it can lag the game if you're unlucky enough to get caught while selecting a character to convert when the host starts the song. I believe the host's request is to automatically disable/switch these "input method" (culprits) when the host hits the START button.

I've developed the habit of always hitting SHIFT when I'm not typing so that I'm on English mode to avoid this problem. This can be cumbersome for new players and even if you're "seasoned" you could get caught from time to time.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion a bit. As for my vote on this issue, I'll vote for "It's a good to have, but not urgent."

EDIT: Added a few screenshots to help visualise the problem.

EDIT2: Now you mentioned it, I don't know if this should be a Feature Request or Tech Support =.=
Ephemeral
this is probably more of a performance issue with IME input than a legitimate new feature. i'm not sure of the details behind language input implementation, but maybe it can be optimized further to alleviate the lag issues instead of introducing a new feature like this.
Oinari-sama
Though I'm not a programmer, I can say that this "lag" probably has a lot to do with the overlay of the pop up box.

I just recalled, in those few occasions where I got caught before I could switch back to English, the pop up box flickered on/off (roughly @30Hz guestimate) throughout the whole song until I got a chance to hit F8 during the break. The lag was gone after I toggled it back to English.

That was the "good" news. If the dev team can solve this overlay rendering issue then the problem is likely to go away. Now for the complications - not all input methods trigger that "lag" mentioned in the OP. I'll try to provide details below for your reference and explain this to my best ability. Might give you headache though...

The all troublesome "pop up box" for text conversion isn't shown for ALL Asian language input methods. In fact, some input method uses an overlay that's incompatible with osu client and as a result the pop up box doesn't show in game (which renders the input useless). IME is one of them and I'll include a few examples below. Luckily you only have to consider Chinese and Japanese when it comes to text conversion vs player base.

The MS IME Japanese Input semi works in osu. The pop up box in the example I previously posted doesn't show in osu client, instead the user is forced to take the first conversion suggestion (unless you cycle suggestions using other hotkeys, but no pop up box is shown). I don't use it often so I have yet to observe any "lag" issues with Japanese IME.

The Chinese (Traditional) New Phonetic just plain refuses to show pop up box in osu client, which renders it completely useless. Many users such as myself turn to 3rd party input engine like the Sogou Pinying Input for Chinese, which is in the example I previously posted. That's the only chinese input method capable of showing the pop up box in osu client for me. I'm not sure what input method other people are using in game for typing Chinese, but Sogou has a large user base. That white overlay is probably the source of "lag" mentioned in the OP.

Let me know if you would like to install and test that out yourself. I'm quite happy to help with basic translations etc. Gonna be hell of a puush fest unless you want to stream your desktop live lol
Sakura
When i use japanese keyboard i dont get such dropdown box tho, i get instead to press space multiple times until i get the Kanji i want.
Oinari-sama

Sakura wrote:

When i use japanese keyboard i dont get such dropdown box tho, i get instead to press space multiple times until i get the Kanji i want.

Oinari-sama wrote:

The MS IME Japanese Input semi works in osu. The pop up box in the example I previously posted doesn't show in osu client, instead the user is forced to take the first conversion suggestion (unless you cycle suggestions using other hotkeys, but no pop up box is shown).
Personally this "input method lag" problem doesn't bother me that much. I've "translated" the OP's intention (to my best ability) and hopefully shed some light into the issue.

However considering that there're more than 400k active users in Chinese speaking communities (and that doesn't include Chinese speaking players living outside China/HK/TW/Singapore) this might be worth investigating if there is manpower to spare.
ieb

theowest wrote:

Something to do with how they write type their letters, not sure.

??
It's right