forum

Display Epilepsy Warning during Song Selection

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +25
Topic Starter
Cygnus
This is to give an earlier warning for players.
Tanomoshii Nekojou
Yep... My friend also wants this... kung hindi ko pa sya wa-warning-an eh hindi nya i-pa-play... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
theowest
Sure, it makes sense. It would be a little too late to have the warning when you're playing the map. However, you'll turn it off anyway if you're detecting a disturbing SB. You're already able to do so with Epilepsy Warning maps.
Saten
To know it beforehand is always good.
jemhuntr
wait so will this remove the annoying warning on the beginning of some songs?
Tanomoshii Nekojou
I'll support this.... :D :D :D
Lunhui
great idea o;
haha5957
Yeah sometimes warning covers some circle makeing it hard to play when it's your first try..
Soaprman
There's a request somewhere to add it to the beatmap listing on the site and osu!direct too so you know before even downloading it. This is a good idea too, but you've already downloaded the map at this point.

I can't seem to find it but I'm pretty sure it exists...
bwross
It doesn't really bother me to download or start playing the map to get the message. After all, I can turn off the storyboard, but only once I've started the map anyways. So I'm pretty much neutral on this one. I'm much more worried about maps without warnings.
higurush

or sth like this. 2min crappy design, someone might make a cool one~
Zare

haha5957 wrote:

Yeah sometimes warning covers some circle makeing it hard to play when it's your first try..
the warning is displayed below the circles since one of the last updates.

I like this, it makes sense to know it beforehand. I'd also like to have an access to Fun Spoiler settings for such maps beforehand, so the SB can be disabled without starting the song and immediately pausing it.
Sakura

bwross wrote:

I'm much more worried about maps without warnings.
That can be fixed by a BAT.
Mercurial

higurush wrote:

or sth like this. 2min crappy design, someone might make a cool one~
Fucking this.
meiikyuu
good idea
Sure
yes please
Sakura
A few things, you're already able to disable Storyboard if the map has an epilepsy warning, So there's no need to have a check for that in there, the epilepsy warning in song select could display the exact same warning that displays in-game in front of the background but behind the rest, so the player knows it has an epilepsy warning. Also i'd propose for the epilepsy warning to continue displaying while the beatmap is loading, and until it normally fades out (maybe another feature request?).

As others have pointed out a warning on the beatma listings and osu! direct is way better, however some people download beatmap packs so i can see this being useful, but not as useful as:

Why not just include a toggle in options about you being affected by epilepsy that automatically disables StoryBoard on any map that has Epilepsy Warning! (inb4 another feature request)
theowest

Sakura wrote:

..you're already able to disable Storyboard if the map has an epilepsy warning, So there's no need to have a check for that in there, the epilepsy warning in song select could display the exact same warning that displays in-game in front of the background but behind the rest, so the player knows it has an epilepsy warning.
I guess most people are unaware of that when supporting this request.

Sakura wrote:

Also i'd propose for the epilepsy warning to continue displaying while the beatmap is loading, and until it normally fades out (maybe another feature request?).
I'm not sure sure about that..

Sakura wrote:

As others have pointed out a warning on the beatmap listings and osu! direct is way better, however some people download beatmap packs so i can see this being useful
We already have that on the beatmap listing, the "Has SB" filter. Guess more information for osu!direct wouldn't hurt. t/10856?hilit=+osu+direct

I guess most SBs have an epilepsy warning on them anyway.

Sakura wrote:

Why not just include a toggle in options about you being affected by epilepsy that automatically disables StoryBoard on any map that has Epilepsy Warning! (inb4 another feature request)
Now that sounds like a better feature request. I figured nobody else would request it, so I did: t/103555/
bwross
:?:

Sakura wrote:

bwross wrote:

I'm much more worried about maps without warnings.
That can be fixed by a BAT.
That comment was tied to the sentences before it and the suggestions above. The point was that I'm not that worried that I'll have problems with flashes before seeing the warning when I start a map... unless the map doesn't have a warning.

There's a problem with getting them fixed... I ran into one recently, I didn't feel like doing much immediately afterwards (I got a bit overly exposed because I was playing Taiko, and so the flashes were peripheral in the background and I didn't notice them until I was quite nauseated), and now I can't remember what it was. There's a good chance that it had white.png in it... almost every map that's got me has that blasted file.

Sakura wrote:

The thing is, I probably wouldn't use it. I don't have epilepsy, I just have a bad reaction to bright flashes (quite possibly as a side effect of medication I was on). Most storyboards with the warning cause me no problem at all... many of which are held up as particularly problematic by many people, but are actually more like a blur that's just hard on the eyes and not a real flash. There's just too many false positives for me to hand it over to automation, I'll always feel the need to check. I imagine that feature will get a lot of support, though... from people who want every storyboard turned off automatically always, and will take whatever they can get to those ends.
deadbeat
why was this marked as dupilate?
was there another request for this. if so. can it be linked here
show more