forum

osu! World Cup #3 (Concluded - Korea wins)

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Loctav
Sorry for disappointing you, but putting a loser bracket would go beyond the scope of what we can bear. The tournament needs to have an end and that's why we can not efford having a loser bracket right after a group stage.
Sorry.
JappyBabes
What Group B should be:

Not sure why you guys never remember that China and Norway are rematching and never take that into consideration.
Cyclohexane
results are temporary
Wishy

KRZY wrote:

Is it necessary?

Do teams deserve second chances in bo9 rounds?
Loser bracket is meant for this not to happen:

Top 16: KR vs JP.
Top 8: KR/JP vs PL.
Tournament is over before playing semi-finals/finals. Not top tier teams can reach ranks like top 2~4 because the best are already out because of chance. Remember how China was left out by Korea on the first match on OWC 1? Loser bracket is about best teams getting the best positions, if you don't use it you either need to seed teams AGAIN so they won't play against each other (meaning you gonna have to seed PL, KR, JP and some other team on "4 corners" so they will meet on semi-finals) and then random the rest. Which isn't a bad idea actually and it would do the job somehow.

I'd be fine with seeding 4 "super strong teams" to avoid best matches happening on top 16/8 (and some teams getting some top 2 rank because of pure luck).
Mismagius

Wishy wrote:

KRZY wrote:

Is it necessary?

Do teams deserve second chances in bo9 rounds?
Loser bracket is meant for this not to happen:

Top 16: KR vs JP.
Top 8: KR/JP vs PL.
Tournament is over before playing semi-finals/finals. Not top tier teams can reach ranks like top 2~4 because the best are already out because of chance. Remember how China was left out by Korea on the first match on OWC 1? Loser bracket is about best teams getting the best positions, if you don't use it you either need to seed teams AGAIN so they won't play against each other (meaning you gonna have to seed PL, KR, JP and some other team on "4 corners" so they will meet on semi-finals) and then random the rest. Which isn't a bad idea actually and it would do the job somehow.

I'd be fine with seeding 4 "super strong teams" to avoid best matches happening on top 16/8 (and some teams getting some top 2 rank because of pure luck).
well why don't we make a tournament with just these 4 teams if that's all you want to see
Topic Starter
Loctav
No need to worry about this kind of stuff.
Wishy
@BD Any serious tournament has got a loser bracket, this would do part of the job but it won't take any time, since the problem about adding a LB is time. Deal with it, you're not supposed to get #2/#3 when you are not as good as top 3 teams. And again, you're not supposed to lose on Top 16 thing if you're one of the best 4 teams.

This was already done on group stage and no one seemed to complain about it.
Nashmun

Wishy wrote:

@BD Any serious tournament has got a loser bracket, this would do part of the job but it won't take any time, since the problem about adding a LB is time. Deal with it, you're not supposed to get #2/#3 when you are not as good as top 3 teams. And again, you're not supposed to lose on Top 16 thing if you're one of the best 4 teams.

This was already done on group stage and no one seemed to complain about it.
You never played sports, right ?
Wishy
You do know that on sports (say football) they play TONS of quallys so they can sort teams out after that, right? (Don't they start playing them 1/2 years before the actual event?)

And that everything they do is based on profit, right? If making a loser bracket would give them money they would do it, apparently it doesn't. We're talking about videogames here where playing a few more matches doesn't mean investing huge amounts of money.

You never played any competitive videogame, right? Cause all I play/follow always got a loser bracket on major tournaments (FGs@EVO, DotA, etc).
Nashmun

Wishy wrote:

You do know that on sports (say football) they play TONS of quallys so they can sort teams out after that, right? (Don't they start playing them 1/2 years before the actual event?)
So what ? You still have a hierarchy as big as you have here. When, in a rugby world cup for example, you have a 1/8 with New zealand vs Australia, you still have a top country eliminated right after group stage when countries that aren't even on top 10 can get higher. Not even mentionning Tennis because this happens even more.

I'm not against adding a loser bracket though, but saying "lol if you are a minimum serious you should have one, everyone do this" is not really accurate.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Overall tournament schedule has been changed. Please keep the changes in mind.
And please don't cry about finals/semifinals being in the same weekend...
GladiOol

Loctav wrote:

Can you atleast tell us why you would do this?
Wishy

Nashmun wrote:

Wishy wrote:

So what ? You still have a hierarchy as big as you have here. When, in a rugby world cup for example, you have a 1/8 with New zealand vs Australia, you still have a top country eliminated right after group stage when countries that aren't even on top 10 can get higher. Not even mentionning Tennis because this happens even more.

I'm not against adding a loser bracket though, but saying "lol if you are a minimum serious you should have one, everyone do this" is not really accurate.
Read my full post please.
Wishy

Loctav wrote:

How are teams gonna practice two map pools? It's not like finals gonna be harder but they gonna have to practice like 30 maps. o_o
GladiOol

Wishy wrote:

Loctav wrote:

How are teams gonna practice two map pools? It's not like finals gonna be harder but they gonna have to practice like 30 maps. o_o

Loctav wrote:

You heard the man, Wishy... Loctav's tournament, nothing we can do ):
silmarilen

Wishy wrote:

Loctav wrote:

same map pool for both?
Mismagius
why don't you give explanations instead of imposing facts and prohibiting complaints rofl
Gon
Match schedule for Malaysia vs Uruguay in twitch.tv info should be 16:00 UTC instead of 21:00 UTC btw (as shown in googledocs). No one's gonna be up at 5am to play osu, period
Flanster

Gon wrote:

Match schedule for Malaysia vs Uruguay in twitch.tv info should be 16:00 UTC instead of 21:00 UTC btw (as shown in googledocs). No one's gonna be up at 5am to play osu, period
Fixed.
JappyBabes
The drama's over guys, don't worry.
F m L_old
The best match i have had in while.
Good game Latvia

Not playing if lewa is captain in owc3
Vmx
WHY
XPJ38
^ Awesome XD

Have you eventually played that?
Forseen

Vmx wrote:

WHY
My thoughts exactly... Sure would be a great pick for warming up, even without mods.
Vmx

XPJ38 wrote:

^ Awesome XD

Have you eventually played that?
Nah in the end we had to change it :(
XPJ38
Booo

peppy being a killjoy
Cyclohexane
Oh man, shame I didn't see this
Topic Starter
Loctav
Due to incooperative behavior and ongoing attempts to disturb this tournament in it's organization, thelewa has been banned from all future OWCs.
This was a collective decision by OWC staff.
Objections can only be handed in via forum PM to me or fartownik.
Liut
inb4 "I was not going to partecipate anyway"
Sorun
Ohhhh lewa why?
Lunati

F m L wrote:

The best match i have had in while.
Good game Latvia

Not playing if lewa is captain in owc3

Good game exept for lewa ;_;
jesse1412

Loctav wrote:

Due to incooperative behavior and ongoing attempts to disturb this tournament in it's organization, thelewa has been banned from all future OWCs.
omg lewa pro hak stream he is hacked disturbed osu and peppy :(((
zozozofun
http://osu.ppy.sh/mp/5315560 4 - 1 Dutchland - BrasilHUE
Mismagius
i'm out
thelewa

Loctav wrote:

I was not going to participate anyway

also, you're a doodoo head
Hernan
Man I hate kids
Synchrostar
Fascinated by the length of it.
zozozofun
In real terms, that thing isn't long Synchro, I am dissapoint.
Synchrostar
im dissapoint in u.
no ss last match l2p

(...it's longer than mine.

jk)
Metro
Argentina vs. Portugal: http://osu.ppy.sh/mp/5316732

gg's
show more