forum

Taiko General Discussion thread

posted
Total Posts
show more
Dolphin

i hope you realize that a (ranked) hidden oni isn't possible/viable on osu so what other appropriate name should we give a difficulty harder than oni itself whilst still sticking to the naming scheme of taiko no tatsujin?
OnosakiHito
Remember: lepidopodus mapped some Taiko maps 4 / 5 years ago. Of course from time to time some mistakes occur.
But the more sad it becomes when nowadays people make exactly those mistakes. lol
I said some time ago that in my opinion, we should be already over this whole "overmapping" thing, since the old guys did such mistakes sometimes as well. Yet, people continue with that, even though it has been several times prooven (in discussions / modding / raitings / etc.) that this isn't really favorited as long as it isn't mapped in a good / reasonable way.

In general I agree with your post Nwolf. But first of all, people have to gain experience and support their own easy mapping before they do it in general. That's one of the main problems here, if you ask me. I saw already more than enough times how people rage about blatant hard maps, yet they do the same mistake as well. But let's see how things will go on now. I'm pretty sure new BATs will learn a lot in the upcoming months. But till then, QATs will unrank stuff inexorably.

@Dolphin: As I said, I'm fine with current naming. That's what we used in the last 6 years (and what is widley known in all Taiko communities), so there is no need to change that. What I'm only talking about is the understanding of these difficulties. Like, as what you see them. For example: A possible second Oni which follows vocal mapping instead of beat mapping or just a diff. for blatant overuse?
Dolphin
People who make blatantly hard maps are not the same people who think blatant hard maps are bad.
You make it seem like it's the same group of people when it's (usually) not.
Some lesser skilled player might think something is stupidly overmapped, but that's because of their own lack of experienced compared to either more skilled players or mappers.
Just because old maps make certain "mistakes", and us calling them "mistakes", wouldn't save newer mappers from doing the exact same if they haven't been taught about these "mistakes".
In the end, your post just looked like a big giant generalization about how a single person complains about "mistakes" and "blatant hard maps" and then making these same "mistakes" and making these "blatant hard maps".

I assume that you probably didn't mean it that way, but this is what it comes off as right now.

also nice edit on my post adding that pointless spoilerbox haha
OnosakiHito
Yeah, that's atcually not what I ment. Aaaah. Well, I think I will just leave it for now in this way.
Tbh, I don't want to spam you guys with wall of text. I guess I'm just bad at explaning things in a short way. lol
Dainesl
I've made some blatantly overmapped maps before (like, extreme overmap for the sake of it) and I've actually formed my own opinion about overmapping based on these and other overmapped maps, and I'm kind of like Nwolf, as long as the overmap is CONSISTENT then it's a bit more viable to have, but when overmap is used as a gimmick then it's really hard to get right

on another note compound patterns are really hard to get down and require a good mapper in order to make them both flow well and feel rewarding to play, instead of flowing awkwardly and playing really awkwardly and you FCing the pattern felt like luck
karterfreak

Soon...soon.
Nyan
More Tatsh, more silver crowns.
DarkStoorM
So... didn't expect to do this after a month break D:
karterfreak
So after doing this, I think I can finally say I retire (Not really, but holy shit finally) :lol:

MMzz
I always choke at the end after the 1/6 dddk stream. Usually get so nervous and mess up on the constant timing changes. ;_;
teach me Tasha senpai.
cheezstik
Is it just me or is taiko much easier than standard? I remember taking at least a month to get to 1k pp on standard, and maybe 2-3k playcount, yet I've achieved the same thing on taiko in 3 days and 200 playcount.
roufou

cheezstik wrote:

Is it just me or is taiko much easier than standard? I remember taking at least a month to get to 1k pp on standard, and maybe 2-3k playcount, yet I've achieved the same thing on taiko in 3 days and 200 playcount.
you can't really call a gamemode easy just cause you got the same amount of pp on it easier, because the pp system isn't made to have the modes give equal pp depending on skill, anyways to answer your question it really depends, I think taiko is really easy overall and I was somewhat of a natural at it compared to most people wherein I could read easily slower patterns and hit them usually without confusing the buttons
Dolphin
less active players = less competition
taiko =/= standard pp
cheezstik

agu wrote:

cheezstik wrote:

you can't really call a gamemode easy just cause you got the same amount of pp on it easier, because the pp system isn't made to have the modes give equal pp depending on skill, anyways to answer your question it really depends, I think taiko is really easy overall and I was somewhat of a natural at it compared to most people wherein I could read easily slower patterns and hit them usually without confusing the buttons
I wasn't calling taiko easy, I don't think any mode is easy, I was just saying it seemed much easier to gain pp. Yeah most of my trpuble in taiko right now is reading, I can play ar10 in standard yet most taiko songs on hard-insane are way too fast, the notes literally look like blurs.

Dolphin wrote:

less active players = less competition
taiko =/= standard pp
Yes, I know this, which is why I mentioned pp and not rank. But yeah, I now realise pp gains are much higher in taiko, at this level at least. I will be enjoying the mode none the less.
Luna
pp scaling is still kinda messed up in taiko, that's all. Same for the other special modes - osu! is the only properly balanced one so far. Just ignore pp for the most part and focus on individual score progression.
TKS
maybe you know that PP doesnt mean a truely player skill in many cases. PP is nothing more than just a point.
Bara-
Why does high accuracy no FC gives so much more pp than a FC?
I'm starting to try to get higher scores/acc on older plays, and I gained 100+ pp (400 ranks) while only going from 93% Fc to 96% orso
Too bad it's hard to get more pp now ;-;
someone send me maps for 180-200 pp
XK2238

TKS wrote:

PP is nothing more than just a mere integer.
MMzz
Yeah, pp only caters to speed. And not just DT speed.
PP is weighted by the ratio of how many notes there are during the song. So a short song with a lot of notes = pp map. Add DT it becomes a crazy pp map because the time is less and there are the same amount of notes. Of course acc is weighted as well. But from what I've seen a 97 and 99% will be similar pp.

So pp isn't a very good indicator of skill because it doesn't pinpoint actual hard maps as hard. It doesn't look at patterns or anything. Just that ratio.
Sinzee
I've searched and I tried, and I can't figure out... where do I put my damn eyes when playing taiko? I alternate between the circle and a little to the right of it and sometimes my eyes just get all messed up and I lose all control.
Dolphin
the more you play the more you grow comfortable, eventually you'll find that sweet spot automatically.
i personally actually have my eyes around the middle, maybe a bit towards the judge circle, unless when i'm playing Hidden, then I obviously put my eyes to where the notes appear.

The reason I do this is so that I don't have to look at huge cluster of notes at the same time.
Sinzee

Dolphin wrote:

the more you play the more you grow comfortable, eventually you'll find that sweet spot automatically.
i personally actually have my eyes around the middle, maybe a bit towards the judge circle, unless when i'm playing Hidden, then I obviously put my eyes to where the notes appear.

The reason I do this is so that I don't have to look at huge cluster of notes at the same time.
Apparently I follow the circles now can I keep this up or should I unteach myself to do this before it's too late, because it feels messy, YET I just magically follow them, I don't know if this is normal but I don't wanna learn myself something that will be a pain to get rid of. Sorry if i can't make sense, my mental state is messed up atm
roufou

Sinzee wrote:

Dolphin wrote:

Apparently I follow the circles now can I keep this up or should I unteach myself to do this before it's too late, because it feels messy, YET I just magically follow them, I don't know if this is normal but I don't wanna learn myself something that will be a pain to get rid of. Sorry if i can't make sense, my mental state is messed up atm
my recommendation is trying to teach yourself to play HD or FL to make it a habit looking to the right or left of the screen generally (although FL might seem like the easiest option I highly recommend to practise HD rather) it might be too early to start learning HD right now but someday I think it's optimal to opt for it...

it is fairly important to get good habits while playing since the optimal way of playing is more or less looking as long right to the screen as possible, although you may want to adjust your view to get best possible accuracy, in the end, just attempt getting good at looking to the right of the screen or around the middle, at least in faster scroll speeds. following the notes is not a bad habit, although it becomes pretty overwhelming keeping on doing it in harder maps, I haven't tried myself so I'm not sure how you will develop after practise...just try your best to be able to look to the right.
MMzz
Depends on what resolution you play in. These below examples are for no-mod play.

4:3 ratio you want your eyes farther to the right because the bar is short and notes come faster compared to 16:9. A good area to be at is a little bit past where Hidden stops showing notes. That is more than enough time to analyze before hitting the note and the next set of notes will be in range of your eyes. Otherwise looking too far to the right might cause you to get confused easily because you have to analyze notes, wait, then hit those notes and start to analyze the next set of notes at the same time. Its not impossible, but doesn't seem practical.

16:9 ratio you will want to look closer to the left because the bar is longer and notes come slower compared to 4:3. This is just like I explained above while talking about looking too far to the right in 4:3. Being farther on the right will again cause you to get confused by over analyzing notes while still having to perform notes.

Another thing you do is have a resolution small/big enough so you can see the whole window without having to look around. This is a popular technique in standard because you can see everything and not have to move your eyes around too much. It can most likely be applied to taiko.

Generally what I notice players tend to do while starting out is following the notes go down the bar instead of keeping their eyes in one place. This is an extremely bad habit because you are following the pattern you are focused on and making sure you hit it, then you are left with no time to analyze the pattern directly after.

All said and done what I said is mostly theory. Everyone does stuff differently, but you can use this as a guideline to figuring out what works for you.
Sinzee
Just to make sure, what you mean by having your eyes at one point, do you literally mean glue them to that point and pretty much not move them at all or do you follow circles within that little area? I think I'm only following them like a little but in the middle ? Sorry if im being ignorant or whatever but I don't wanna start bad habits, I did in osu and they were a real pain to get rid of later. I'm planning to play these really hard maps BUT I will never play hidden I dislike the mod.
Dolphin
i personally follow the notes slightly (i read them in groups)
also obviously you hate hidden because you're not used to playing with it.
it takes time to learn how to use it, after that it can be fun or even helpful to use sometimes (i certainly feel that way)
too tired to people using hard rock just because they can sightread :roll:
karterfreak
Backing up what MMzz said here, though I'd like to add that positions can possibly change a bit when playing with HR as there's a faster scroll speed. For example, I look pretty close to the hit area on very low SV maps, but look very close to the right on very high SV maps (generally high BPM HR maps). That doesn't work for some people, but it works wonders for me.

On the note of disliking HD, you should actually try and play HD a lot. It helps with quick pattern recognition and will set your eyes to a good location for reading notes regardless on normal SV maps. Eventually you won't be able to tell much of a difference between playing HD or nomod when your reading becomes good enough.

@ Dolphin: To be fair, you can sightread pretty much anything with HD as well, it only gets harder with low SV / multiple SV maps.
Sinzee
Alright thanks guys, one last thing how do I remove this wavy thing at the top? I think that's what's makes it impossible for me to stay at one place
Dolphin
edit taiko-slider.png and taiko-slider-fail.png in your skin's folder to be completely blank
XK2238
MMzz
Happy Halloween
OnosakiHito
Oh, great :3
happy halloween
Luna
Whoooooo
Just got my first and only Hidden S \:D/
Yes, this is sorted by rank, I really don't have any other Hidden FCs... The other three silver S/SS are all FL scores on easy conversions I did years ago :?
Accuracy is meh because I need all my concentration to avoid missing, but I'm still happy with the result.

/E:
I'm on a roll :oops:
shitacc, but WHO CARES
XK2238
there's still ppl regarding 98.9 as shit? wow

nice HDs anyway, gratz :D/
LZD

XK2238 wrote:

there's still ppl regarding 98.9 as shit? wow

nice HDs anyway, gratz :D/
if people know that they can acurate more, they'll always complain (me too xd)
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun

。゚(゚ノД`゚)゚。
Luna
This is probably gonna look really lame to most of you, but since I'm bad at high BPM this made me happy /o/
Kuro
I think you did awesome because I can't even pass that marathon. There's one song in the middle of it that's pretty fast and it has a TON of 1/6 spam... >.>
\me glares at Gezo
Topic Starter
Yuzeyun
I hope you get cancer.

This map is terrible I wish it fucking never existed.
Luna
ilu Gezo <3
show more