forum

Poll 15: Would you buy an osu! graphics tablet?

posted
Total Posts

Would you buy an osu! branded graphics tablet?

Yes
74.17%
No
25.83%
Total votes: 240
Polling ended
show more
Marcin
I don't even have money for new keyboard, but if i could get some, i'd buy Osu Tablet.
VoidnOwO

Marcin wrote:

but if i could get some
What stops you?
Eyenine
Shots, I'm late o.o
RBRat3

BRBP wrote:

All I care about is how light the pen is, and how accurately the tablet measures pressure.

So probably not.

Edit: AAA Battery? Never
Its pressure sensitive.

As for the battery I have rechargeable ones with a usb battery charger so it's kinda moot for me.
Jenny
I'd like to buy one of these but let me suggest the following stuffs:

• - Pen and tablet-surface should not scratch when in contact, so you can lie down without losing smoothness in motion
    - Along with that, the driver would have to allow disabling the click on pentip / letting us as the users adjust what a tap does
I used to use a Trust TB-5300 and these two were the major reasons for not getting any Wacom tablet as I experienced that as quite big issues, at least to my style of playing.
Vext_old
Not sure this topic is even still relevant but oh well.

For one I am fairly certain that a large majority of the people saying/voting yes have only the intentions of having one. I would be incredibly surprised were even half of them to actually buy one.

Second there are several flaws to this including size, batteries, and pressure sensitivity that while not really fatal will be a big deal to most people.

Third you stated that the intention was to make it cheaply available to everyone. With this comes at the cost of certain elements in a tablet people want for more than just the purpose of osu!. If you can pay a few more dollars and get one with many more capabilities then you probably will.

Fourth, from what you said the initial investment is large indeed. If the amount of units you'll have to acquire are equally large then you'll have many headaches dealing with holding onto your stock, and let's not even get into the tech support/malfunctioning products part. Without the possibility of profit to aid osu! in some way this will just drag it down rather than help. On top of that, these are not an easy sell really, I don't think the rate of sales on them would be fast.

Fifth there is a lot you have not stated that we need to know to really help in a decision such as how many units and how much of an initial investment it is.

Way I see it from everything is that it's not necessarily the best investment for this situation. Were the company to for instance offer a tricked out for osu! styled tablet that you would simply point users to and for each one purchased you received a sort of finders fee (less than you could get from buying them in bulk and holding the burden but without any burden whatsoever) for selling their tablets for them then I would greatly encourage it as long as the quality held up.

One unlikely possibility to negate the risk would be to have the users actually commit to buying one before you order them. This is highly unlikely to work but it is plausible. Have everyone who really wants one to essentially order a ticket (like a pre-order but paid in full, not just $5 down) from you for the tablet. If you meet the mark for how many you need to get sold to order them by a certain date then go with it, if not return the money and walk away without any loss. But again I can't see people actually willing to commit like this.

Other than that the only suggestion I would have because I personally really like the idea of the osu! tablet as an item would be to follow in the footsteps of game consoles like xbox, wii, ps3. If there is a way you can get for a slightly higher price a much lower stock then you can for instance get let's say 10 25 50 100 depending on the intentions. Deck those tablets out and make em gorgeous, none of that "Oh it has pippi in the corner, that makes it an osu! tablet" bs, deck that thing out. Then make them limited stock/edition (and/or one time only) with a certain way to get them. Could be as simple as simple as purchasing them in the osu! store or perhaps as giveaways to 10 random people that buy supporter during the month or whatever. The point being there are many largely devoted and obsessed users on osu! that would kill for say 1 of 10 ever made osu! tablets and would go to great lengths to get one, as well there are a lot of casual people who would throw a couple bucks for supporter for a chance to get one, but very few who would pay a large sum for something average/sub-par that everyone has.

tl;dr because I already know you won't read all of what I said or probably even half - High risk + low profit = bad investment. You can do better, get a better situation or better price. You hold ALL of the cards in this particular one and lose nothing from walking away. Take advantage of that.
YodaSnipe
Didn't know about the poll 'till now. However, I would buy one EVEN if only to have one. Plus you can't really go wrong for $35 ^^
Sorun

Vext wrote:

One unlikely possibility to negate the risk would be to have the users actually commit to buying one before you order them. This is highly unlikely to work but it is plausible. Have everyone who really wants one to essentially order a ticket (like a pre-order but paid in full, not just $5 down) from you for the tablet. If you meet the mark for how many you need to get sold to order them by a certain date then go with it, if not return the money and walk away without any loss. But again I can't see people actually willing to commit like this.
Basically a Kickstarter

In my opinion that's a great idea, any thoughts on this ppy? Maybe some updates :3 ?
Makar

Jenny wrote:

• - Along with that, the driver would have to allow disabling the click on pentip / letting us as the users adjust what a tap does
yes please
Marcin

BRBP wrote:

Marcin wrote:

but if i could get some
What stops you?
I'll let you Guess
The first letter of this word is A, ends up with E
thelewa
Agriculture?
Emaal
analgape
thelewa
Agile?
Yarissa
Seeing as I already have a tablet, I probably wouldn't buy one. Unless there were advantages of one over the other. Only then would i reconsider.
cokeshawty
That'd be D O P E
Kanye West

Kaoru wrote:

Seeing as I already have a tablet, I probably wouldn't buy one. Unless there were advantages of one over the other. Only then would i reconsider.
Pretty much this. I've already invested in a Bamboo tablet and it seems like this tablet is pretty much the same if not worse than a Wacom.
hinaskye
Just noticed this poll now, lol. Anyhow, i have a few friends i would buy a tablet for, and if this is cheap i would definitely buy it for them as a present. The only thing thats stopping them (or me) from buying a wacom is the price or urgency in having a tablet.

Yes i have a tablet already (which i only use for osu!) and im sure people will be interested in buying a osu!tablet if its their first tablet considering how relatively more cheaper it is than a wacom. I am concerned about the battery pen tho.
Ritzeh
no osu branded mouse? D;
Fenek Alfa

zoomxritz wrote:

no osu branded mouse? D;
This

@topic: I haven't checked the shipping rates, but I think it may still be cheaper than Wacoms(40$ = 130PLN, brand new Wacom Bamboo is 220PLN)
I' don't plan on buying it myself, but I know someone who does.
Tiny Plume
Of course I'll buy one. *-*
Lanturn
This would actually make me want to try out a tablet for osu!, even if I don't end up using it lots (because I end up liking the mouse better?), it'll be nice to have as a collectable even. (not a big fan of buying shirts hehe)

So yes, I would love to order one if you make them available!

Another suggestion that might help you sell them is to give a supporter tag for a month or two with the purchase maybe? You never know, it might sell more that way.. People like bonuses from stuff they buy ;)
GoldenWolf

Lanturn wrote:

Another suggestion that might help you sell them is to give a supporter tag for a month or two with the purchase maybe? You never know, it might sell more that way.. People like bonuses from stuff they buy ;)

I like this idea.
cirno-_old

Kaoru wrote:

This. I would have if this was available when I bought a tablet to replace mouse for Osu! but now it's too late for me.

And now I'm used to all the advantages the wacom bamboo has to offer like sensitivity in photoshop. I don't think I could get used to something different.

I still think it's totally cool and would sell well.
H_Hitachiin
This would be awesome but then again, I play CTB O.O
Yap
from my perspective, majority of people wont fond of that for the cause of the pen with battery :lol: though a specific log of Osu! seem to be splendid :3
XenoWarrior

peppy wrote:

I have been in contact with a tablet manufacturer, and it would seem it may be possible to make osu!-branded tablet. It would be an 8x5" tablet with a custom osu! design, and I'd be aiming to sell it for the cheapest feasibly possible (currently looking to be about $35-40 + shipping). I have already tested one and the performance is on-par with cheaper wacom tablets I have used, with the only major difference being a battery operated pen. After a week of use I haven't seen this as a problem, both considering weight (single AAA battery) and battery life (4,000 hours continuous use). Spare nibs would also be included for the hardcore players.

The biggest issue is that in order to get them at such a cheap price, I will need to order in bulk. I am tentative to take up such an investment unless I know there are enough people that would be interested in buying one of these devices, so please use this thread to let me know. If possible, share it with others that you think would be interested, too!

Keep in mind this would likely be the cheapest tablet you can buy in many regions of the world, even after shipping. That is my aim, anyway.
YES! I would actually buy one of those! This is a great idea!
LKs
hmm i'm too late to vote an yes

I'm interested in this plan since my wacom tablet is pratically broken after years of use. and it's the high price that hinders me from buying a new one.

will keep an eye on how is this going
Ekaru
Hmm... To be completely, 100% honest, I'd need an opinion from a pro player who tried it out before I would consider going through the hassle of buying one (I would likely have to use a prepaid Visa card, which requires going through the "joys" of downtown to get ATM).
iL7
Yes :)
420Guy
Yeah, cause it's more fun to play with one extra osu! tablet and i want to support that game. (:
mikepaps
Sounds cool id pick one up :D
Sorun
I'm thinking that the OWC physical prize is the tablets and when they are given out to the winners is when ppy will introduce them. Wishful thinking! I would be kind of sad though since I already spent most of my money on holiday shopping and wouldn't have much to spare till january.
Maneuver
Need beta testing from all range of players who use tablet and those who don't use. From Top tablet player to semi-pro player to beginner, from hovering and from touching to tapping. Most beginner wouldn't even know tablet exist if din see other players use or someone tells them.

Battery or no battery, need to know if it is much more easier to control and move for long hours and more comfy than normal tablet.

Btw, What is the length of lift-off detection for the pen and tablet before it can't detect ? and What is the battery for ?
JappyBabes
Has any progress been made on this? Like custom text engraving/printing on the tablet, customizable lpi (if that's even possible), different pens etc?
yurunneram
I would SO want 1!!! I've been trying to get a cheap tablet instead of a mouse to play Osu! and for Digital art purposes
vipto
without any thought!
For mainly 3 reasons:

1. For the heck of it
2. For supporting Osu!
3. For having a not-derping tablet :3
Rygar_the_Thunder
Yes, I would. o3o
Far East
Seems interesting ;P So yes.
Mizuki Kirimiya
Since I only use my current Bamboo Splash for Osu!, if something were to happen to it, this would be a cheap replacement that gives the same performance. I would certainly do such a thing.
jyu
Depends on the quality :>
show more