forum

Getting nervous...

posted
Total Posts
show more
Zare
Doesn't getting nervous make the game even more fun? I mean, to overcome this nervousness is kinda a challenge itself, isn't it?
For example: Today I tried to FC a new map, so I turned on SD, played it, got nervous and missed one the last notes. Dang.
After that I retried a few times, and eventually managed to keep my hand calm, even though I was nervous as hell, and got the FC. That probably made me even happier than a FC on the first try would have.
silmarilen
missing one of the last notes on my first try is not my definition of fun no
buny

silmarilen wrote:

missing one of the last notes on my first try is not my definition of fun no
theowest
I want the ability to hide my combo, score and everything, except the actual gameplay. Like the relax mod. I'm playing the difficulty all the way out anyway, so I wouldn't worry about any misses.
lolcubes

Tom69 wrote:

do not think about blinking.
This is actually pretty deep. If you need to blink, just blink, don't think about blinking. :D

Joking aside, I get nervous a lot and it's so funny how getting a single 100 (when I play for SS) makes me relax so much, I am always very tense for some reason haha.
kriers

lolcubes wrote:

Tom69 wrote:

This is actually pretty deep. If you need to blink, just blink, don't think about blinking. :D

Joking aside, I get nervous a lot and it's so funny how getting a single 100 (when I play for SS) makes me relax so much, I am always very tense for some reason haha.
Getting a single 100 makes me start cursor dancing until I die.
MillhioreF

theowest wrote:

I want the ability to hide my combo, score and everything, except the actual gameplay. Like the relax mod. I'm playing the difficulty all the way out anyway, so I wouldn't worry about any misses.
Press Tab to hide the leaderboard, then skin 0-9, comma, dot, slash and x transparent. Clean gameplay!
theowest

MillhioreF wrote:

theowest wrote:

Press Tab to hide the leaderboard, then skin 0-9, comma, dot, slash and x transparent. Clean gameplay!
That's what I've been doing. However I do want to see my scores at the result screen, they'll be transparent too.
buny

lolcubes wrote:

Tom69 wrote:

Breathing manually also

kriers wrote:

this except when I miss or get under a certain %
lolcubes

kriers wrote:

Well, I skip the dancing and just die, after a while. :p
G0r
I just hit retry.
kriers

lolcubes wrote:

kriers wrote:

It's the art of dancing more rapidly until you're not actually playing anymore
puncia

theowest wrote:

MillhioreF wrote:

That's what I've been doing. However I do want to see my scores at the result screen, they'll be transparent too.
Play with your transparent skin, switch to a normal skin then go to your play screen to see statistics. Weird but I think it's the best.
theowest

Puncia wrote:

theowest wrote:

Play with your transparent skin, switch to a normal skin then go to your play screen to see statistics. Weird but I think it's the best.
that's annoying.
VoidnOwO

theowest wrote:

1. Change the song BG to a flat black image
2. Make a skin where everything else except the result screen is black
4. Profit
theowest

BRBP wrote:

theowest wrote:

1. Change the song BG to a flat black image
2. Make a skin where everything else except the result screen is black
4. Profit
Most of my skin elements are either hidden or tiny and transparent.

Hidden elements:
  1. HP bar
  2. section pass and fail
  3. count1-3, ready and go
  4. cursor trail
  5. follow point
  6. hit300
  7. lightning
  8. slider points
  9. spinner background, circle, clear, spin, etc.
  10. star2
The hitcircles are from Tom69's skin, which makes things even more lightweight.
The slider track is black and my only two combo colours are white and green. sliderfollowcircle is just a white, almost transparent ball. No animations.

Here's my current cursor:

I find that colour easier to see than green, blue or red. Purple is usually okay too.
VoidnOwO

theowest wrote:

Editing this to a bit shorter...

I prefer having a visible HP bar and slider ticks (don't really know why). I used to use a cursor nearly identical to that as well. Nowadays I'm using a nearly invisible (2x2px) black cursor with 3x3 white cursor trail, as I seem to perform better that way, not with a mouse though.
Purple

lolcubes wrote:

Tom69 wrote:

Ok new rule: Do NOT think about Tom69 saying "do not think about blinking"
Bread
Endyron

kriers wrote:

thelewa wrote:

What if we play because osu! is the only thing giving our lives a meaning?

Do we get 200% more nervous?
You make it sound like you're gonna kill yourself first thing after breaking your combo
I just try to brake whatever i see first after breaking my combo ^^
Endyron

lolcubes wrote:

kriers wrote:

I only feel that way if i get a single 50 i just stare at the screen without doing anything untill i die and i keep starting for a minute like a part of me died. :D
WolfCoder
I get really nervous when I see a thread already full of pages pop to the top of the forum list out of nowhere.
AmaiHachimitsu
Nice necro.

If you want to handle stress, play under pressure more. Stream your liveplays, have spectators on and such.
zxcv
Break your keyboard when you miss a combo or 100,50 it. It usually helps, and has worked wonders for me. ;)
buny

- O No De Ra - wrote:

Break your keyboard when you miss a combo or 100,50 it. It usually helps, and has worked wonders for me. ;)
i never miss a combo because i never start one to begin with
Rewben2

- O No De Ra - wrote:

Confirmed effective method 0% failure
raww_old
used to get nervous when i was trying to set scores

now I just play to practice/have fun, so it isn't really an issue anymore
itsRadikal
Man up.

There was one time when I kept missing the first note of the song...for like 10 times.

Escape and Retry ezpz.
- Marco -
Just be calm and retry, if not today maybe tomorrow.
Galagrawr
There's nothing wrong with being nervous. Sometimes, when I play a hard song and FC it, my heart will be pounding because I was so nervous :3
nyrox
I was playing a song with hidden, only expecting a pass, and I got to the last 10 notes with SS. It woulda been top 50 but I missed, gave up and failed. I thought I was going to have a stroke and took a 10 minute break.
Vuelo Eluko
As someone who usually plays with nofail, it's EXTRA bad for me. my hands shake so profusely my mouse actually goes airborne a bit if im trying to nomod pass a map for the first time.

Just today it cost me a pass on a map i never actually passed before, during the very end [within 10 seconds of the end] at a part that should have been easy.

i dont know what to do to make it less bad, it makes playing the game impossible for me sometimes. It's pathetic but I can't help it..

I just dont know what to do. Breathing exercises? Tie my arm to the desk?
Vertify

nyrox wrote:

I was playing a song with hidden, only expecting a pass, and I got to the last 10 notes with SS. It woulda been top 50 but I missed, gave up and failed. I thought I was going to have a stroke and took a 10 minute break.
Dayum. And I thought my nerves were bad. That's extreme but funny at the same time lol.
I recently screwed here - https://osu.ppy.sh/b/325377?m=0 >_<
Nervous at the end as usual...
Soarezi

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

As someone who usually plays with nofail, it's EXTRA bad for me. my hands shake so profusely my mouse actually goes airborne a bit if im trying to nomod pass a map for the first time.

Just today it cost me a pass on a map i never actually passed before, during the very end [within 10 seconds of the end] at a part that should have been easy.

i dont know what to do to make it less bad, it makes playing the game impossible for me sometimes. It's pathetic but I can't help it..

I just dont know what to do. Breathing exercises? Tie my arm to the desk?
Or then stop wondering and start playing more.
Vuelo Eluko

Soarezi wrote:

im guessing playing without nofail is the only way to get used to the pressure huh :|

oh well, whatever it takes. gonna be failing a loooot of songs near the end
aBunny

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

im guessing playing without nofail is the only way to get used to the pressure huh :|

thatll just make you even more nervous when you dont play with nofail
RaneFire
After re-reading a lot of the comments in this thread, I think some people may find this interesting:

link
CookChefSteak

RaneFire wrote:

After re-reading a lot of the comments in this thread, I think some people may find this interesting:

link
that is just extremely interesting
thanks for sharing
Vertify

RaneFire wrote:

link

Tedtalks never surprises me! Nice video.
-Chronopolis-

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Soarezi wrote:

I find playing multiplayer with the scoreboard visible enabled for a few hours helps me loosen up. Like I don't magically play better, but at least I can at least play confidently. Also, remembering that everybody looses their share of scores to beatmap drain too.
show more