forum

Osumania, how to get started on 6k-7k?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Amefuri Koneko
Hi! I had tons of experience with 4k stepmania, could stream up to 240bpm, jumpstream up to 200bpm but I'm struggling with more than 5k at osumania. Any tips on learning to play with more keys? The problem is that I can't find easier 6k songs, all easy ones are 4k.
Is spacebar a practical bind for middle key? this one is the most annoying.
I played stepmania upscroll, is there any way to reverse bars in osumania?
buny
you can use mods to change the amount of keys you use
Topic Starter
Amefuri Koneko

buny wrote:

Oh wow, that solves almost all my problems, thanks for pointing this out.
Prolly gonna play 6k forever now :D
winber1
it might be obvious and you might already be doing this, but do you align your keys in a linear fashion?

my keys are "sdfghjkl"

I used to play a lot of stepmania before, but I quit a long while ago and started playing osu! Honestly, I failed miserably at 7k and stuff at first, but after some time you will get better. Nothing more than just playing easier songs and slowly practicing your way up there.
Bobbias
I played stepmania for years, then moved on to o2jam. I can't recall anyone using something other than space bar in o2jam for the center key. It's not impossible to learn, it just takes practice. Not playing 2 or 3 songs and thinking "god I suck, this sucks, I'm never playing 7k", but a good solid amount of actual practice (if you're one of those people who can't see to get it right away). Everyone is different, everyone learns at a different pace. I picked up 7k quite quickly, but that's because I played o2jam a lot. It took me weeks to get good enough at o2jam to play anything comparably close to most autogenerated 7k Osu!Mania maps (I mean ones that are 7k by default, I'm sure forcing a Easy into 7k would be easier than playing an easy Insane 7k)
Topic Starter
Amefuri Koneko
Yeah, I've setup my config and just playing easy and normal diffs with 7k mod at the moment. Gonna take some time training all those doubles combinations and reading donwscroll. Thank you guys for the tips ^.^
buny

Ami Furi Koneko wrote:

Yeah, I've setup my config and just playing easy and normal diffs with 7k mod at the moment. Gonna take some time training all those doubles combinations and reading donwscroll. Thank you guys for the tips ^.^
You could try rotating your screen 180 degrees through your display settings and then mirroring your keys while playing osu, if you don't mind everything else being flipped.
Mithos
Start by using the 6K mod on easier songs. After you can comfortably read patterns at 140BPM or so, add the spacebar (still on easy songs).
KRZY

Mithost wrote:

Start by using the 6K mod on easier songs. After you can comfortably read patterns at 140BPM or so, add the spacebar (still on easy songs).

Oh so it's 6K -> 5K instead of the other way around? I'm trying to learn to play 5K+ too
CXu
I can't play this game, but you're probably better off just 7k'ing right off the bat instead of adding buttons. Atleast I find it easier to remove buttons than to add them :p
MMzz

CXu wrote:

I can't play this game, but you're probably better off just 7k'ing right off the bat instead of adding buttons. Atleast I find it easier to remove buttons than to add them :p
Yeah what CXu said. The faster you get used to the spacebar/ringfingers the better.

Just turn 7key mod on and practice normal/hard on your favorite songs. So you can learn and enjoy yourself. <:

(Or you can map your favorite songs with pattern types you struggle with, i learned a lot doing this for 7key.)
Mithos
Well having 7 years in stepmania, I found it a lot easier and rewarding to spend like a day on 6K before going to 7K simply because the space bar plus the ring fingers was too much of a change all at one time.
Hanyuu

CXu wrote:

Yes while 4 and 6 key mode is pretty much the same but a bit harder. 5K and 7K are like learning the game again and the same was with 8keys mode when i started playing it. I just had to learn it all again and its not really going up one by one.
Aqo

MMzz wrote:

(Or you can map your favorite songs with pattern types you struggle with, i learned a lot doing this for 7key.)
Or you can find out what's approximately your 1/2 reading speed on 7k, take a map with appropriate bpm for it, and just make a long slider and convert to 1/2 stream. Then play that. Then re-map a new thing like that for slightly higher bpm. repeat process until you're suddenly pro at reading speed D:
Andy Chen_old
Buy iidx controller, and maybe an arcade machine while doing that ya.
Espionage724

buny wrote:

... all this time I just figured that 4K mod would only switch all songs to 4K, and nothing more. But clicking it more the once... changes the number of keys :O lol
-Vexy
I'm struggling with the same thing as OP. I am pretty good with 6k, beating most songs I have on any difficulty, even having S on a lot of songs, but 7k is just insane to me. Either, I have to use my pinky finger on my left hand to get a total of 4 keys there, or I have to use the spacebar, which just isn't doable for me. I've done a normal difficulty song with that method, and I got an S, but it's just too hard to even practise harder songs...
Akali

Vexaton wrote:

I'm struggling with the same thing as OP. I am pretty good with 6k, beating most songs I have on any difficulty, even having S on a lot of songs, but 7k is just insane to me. Either, I have to use my pinky finger on my left hand to get a total of 4 keys there, or I have to use the spacebar, which just isn't doable for me. I've done a normal difficulty song with that method, and I got an S, but it's just too hard to even practise harder songs...
It's doable for everyone, unless you have some physical problem with your hands. 7k just has steep learning curve at start due to that. Try finding key setup where your thumb is most comfortable and keep practicing.
buny
not only did you necro, but there's even a subforum for mania that you could have used
AmaiHachimitsu
play mania-specific maps, those are at least of good quality

There is quite a bunch of 7K ones
rmroy1114

Amefuri Koneko wrote:

Hi! I had tons of experience with 4k stepmania, could stream up to 240bpm, jumpstream up to 200bpm but I'm struggling with more than 5k at osumania. Any tips on learning to play with more keys? The problem is that I can't find easier 6k songs, all easy ones are 4k.
Is spacebar a practical bind for middle key? this one is the most annoying.
I played stepmania upscroll, is there any way to reverse bars in osumania?

My Technique is using a schedule like monday-4k tuesday-5k wednesday-6k thursday-7k friday-8k.

4k is the first since its the mod your good at.
or maybe pick a mod and stick with it until you reach 3 star maps then go to the next mod.

Pls tell me if my grammar is wrong.(Im not good at speaking english :lol:)
drum drum
Please don't necropost