forum

Cross vs mode(osu vs. mainia/taiko/ctb & viceversa)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +3
Topic Starter
Satoriblue
So I had a thought; one of my friends enjoys playing rhythm games in the style Guitar Hero, though isn't good at osu. But what if there was a way we could compete through a special multiplayer mode where these modes are evenly balanced - same difficulty, same amount of beats, only different playing styles. This would also open up a wider variety of multiplayer rooms to choose from, though this mode probably shouldn't(and wouldn't) be taken too seriously on terms of competitiveness.

Whats your opinion? Would this be a fun mode to have?
Luna
Wouldn't work, scoring algorithms are WAY too different between modes.
On short, easy maps, mania players would always win (10M max score regardless), everything above 10M is unattainable for mania players, Taiko players would never stand any kind of chance etc
Just compare the top scores between modes on marathon maps like paraparaMAX to see how different the scoring actually is.

And if you take scoring out of the equation, it's basically singleplayer since everybody is playing different maps anyways
Archangel Tirael
Not support because... Hmmm... Luna already say why I not support.
P.S. Mainia? ;)
PROGUY

Satoriblue wrote:

Would this be a fun mode to have?
NO.

Also we're looking at four different scoring systems here, and it makes sense that it's impossible to do so. Same goes if the multiplayer ranking is switched to accuracy.
Pegram

Satoriblue wrote:

though this mode probably shouldn't(and wouldn't) be taken too seriously on terms of competitiveness.
Oh wow you guys, stop being such jerks.

Yeah, might be fun. Instead of score, you could just look at the accuracy instead, as the scoring really is completely different in different modes. And if it's for fun, who cares?
Topic Starter
Satoriblue

ReZero wrote:

Yeah, might be fun. Instead of score, you could just look at the accuracy instead, as the scoring really is completely different in different modes. And if it's for fun, who cares?
This

PROGUY wrote:

Satoriblue wrote:

Would this be a fun mode to have?
NO.
Have you no understanding of the concept called fun?

Also we're looking at four different scoring systems here, and it makes sense that it's impossible to do so. Same goes if the multiplayer ranking is switched to accuracy.
Already mentioned this, a special algorithm to handle scoring would be required for this.
Also technically multiplayer is just still single player with a few extra features and synchronous ranking.

Right now Osu is one big community segregated by our play styles, limiting who we can play with, talk with, etc. And that's pretty sad if you ask me; I'm no good at guitar herp, nor mania(*gives Tireal the stare*), and the opposite for my friend. Even if it's not serious competitive playing, at least we'd be able to compete on some basis. And have a fun time doing so.
Soaprman
I don't think this is a completely bad idea. What this does is turn it from a competition to just dudes hanging in out in a room playing games and talking sometimes.
TheVileOne
There's no competition here. It would be pointless. In Guitar Hero you're working together, but in osu you don't work together and there is no way to balance the gamemodes.
Drafura

Archangel wrote:

Mainia?
Also.. No, this makes no sense even with accuarcy.
Kurokami

ReZero wrote:

Instead of score, you could just look at the accuracy instead,
No, you are the jerk.
Compare ctb and taiko accuracy. In ctb the chance to get acc below 98% very low, you need to play unranked or even unsubmited map for this. In taiko even for a pro player is hard to get S (means above 98%). So taiko players wouldn't have a chance to win.
jabberwockey
I'm sorry, I can't see how this would work out ; o ;
ann_old
Sorry my friend, but this doesn't sound like it'd work out.
qlum
This generally wouldn't work because of the score differences and more importantly difficulty differences of one map in multiple modes. The only thing that may be a bit close to this would be taiko and mania but even that would be very hard to balance.
Kuro
Just so happened to be rummaging through old feature request and stumbled onto this one... :o

It looks like a majority of people dislike this idea, myself included, so think about this for a second: How about doing the opposite of this request instead? Instead of competing against each other, make them work together? There will be another play mode in the multiplayer lobby named "misc." or "combined play" or whatever... :/

Anyway, it'll be different from the other game modes in multiplayer because there can only be a max of 4 players in each room and matches can only begin once they have at least one player on each game mode. It'll consist of 1 osu, 1 taiko, 1 ctb, and 1 mania player. To combat the different scoring algorithms, instead of trying to make a new one just don't do anything about it :roll:

Scoring will be based on individual algorithms and be as followed:

1. Other player: osu standard: His score out of MAX score obtainable
  2. Me: Taiko: My score out of MAX score obtainable
  3. Other player: Ctb: His score out of MAX score obtainable
  4. Other player: mania: His score out of MAX score obtainable
osu standard player score + Taiko player score + Ctb player score + mania player score = Combined player score on song

osu standard MAX + Taiko MAX + Ctb MAX + mania MAX = Combined MAX obtainable on song

Combined player score on song out of Combined MAX obtainable on song

Bump /o/

Don't like the scoring scheme because you can see the faults I left in and the details I left out? If you feel like using proportionality to use closer MAX scores in the different modes, be my guest... find individual ratios to multiply the scores by for all songs.

Bringing the osu! community closer to the "Clan" movement...
OsuMe65
how about you guys have to agree with just a single scoring system for that combat?
your tl;dr statements will drive you crazy...

-.-
MMzz
This would be cooler in a coop scenario. Like in Rockband how every instrument plays together, every game mode can play together to reach an accumulative score. :P
Kuro

MMzz wrote:

This would be cooler in a coop scenario. Like in Rockband how every instrument plays together, every game mode can play together to reach an accumulative score. :P
You know what.... I'm going to make a new feature request for this because my previous post was pretty detailed on how that could work