forum

[osu!mania] Portrait mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +52
Topic Starter
qlum
I would like to be able to use my monitor in portrait mode when using osu! mania changing the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 9:16. There are quite a few screens that support twisting them like that while the vast majority of the screen can't it would still be worth it in osu!mania to be able to turn the screen by 90 degries and see the gameplay turn with it. changing the layout from this:

to this:

*the score and stuff being gone is just me being lazy here.
This gives use to a much larger area and would be really cool to have in mania. Yes I must admit there are drawbacks like the background image only covering part of the background and it would take quite a bit of work to support it.
If it would be done right it would have to be a full resolution option for everything changing the song browser with it and adding black bars to other modes but since it already supports multiple aspect ratio's I am sure the core would still be there.
theowest
Would that give people with the ability to turn their screens 90 degrees an advantage?
Topic Starter
qlum

theowest wrote:

Would that give people with the ability to turn their screens 90 degrees an advantage?
not more than people running a bigger screen if someone is running a 37inch hdtv he would also have a lot more hight and I can tell you this screens that big don't turn. Or just someone lowering the distance to his screen making him mainly see the active area so really I would not call it an advantage like that. Remember tiako also got widescreen support at some point so while this is the other way around its still quite comparable in that aspect.]

btw laptop users with an external keyboard can also use this just turning their laptops on their side.
theowest
That just sounds silly.
Pegram
I just don't see any point in this. IMO it would require too much effort, from the players as well.
Bobbias
If the game were to keep everything the same size, this would give advantage to anyone who could get a setup that would work, since you would have much more vertical room. It would be easier to play at higher speeds while allowing the player the view a larger amount of the pattern at these speeds. If you were to scale things such that everything was stretched vertically to allow for the same effective screen space, everything would look distorted and it would be unplayable. There is no logical reason to allow this.
Topic Starter
qlum
Like I stated before yes the same monitor would be better of in this mode but still if you moved closer to the screen or just used a higher ress/bigger screen it would do the same thing may I also remind you that a 4:3 monitor technically has the same advantage over a regular 16:9 or 16:10 monitor assuming the total pixels are the same, this is just extending that a bit and using a screen to its fullest capabilities. Who knows maybe you are using a vertical screen in the first place.

lets take the following two examples a 13 inch laptop screen with a resolution of 1360x786 which is quite common this laptop could be turned on its side making the ress 768x1360 and a 30 inch monitor with a ress of 2560x1600 this screen can not easily be turned on its side.. It would be kind of obvious here even though the laptop screen can be turned on its sight the 30 inch screen would easily win both in vertical resolution and in size you can see vertically. Furthermore what the eye can effectively use in terms of angle is quite limited, if you where to have a higher vertical space you would in quite a few cases need to move a bit further away limiting the effect. So why would I still use it, the main reason is that it just feels a lot more natural to use the whole screen than just use a small section and if you where to ever do an arcade osu!mania setup that would be the way to do it.

My final argument is also this: I can already do it. I can turn eyefinity on on my monitors 2 of which I can flip in portrait mode so effectively even though it is a big hassle I can create the base idea already just not very user friendly to use outside of the actual gameplay but still I could already pull it off.

It was my first time trying but ui may become a problem here, there may be some creative placement needed in this mode.

BTW on the hassle aspect of this request its not that big a deal. On a laptop you just set the thing in portrait mode in windows and put it on its side using a external keyboard and mouse and on my desktop I tilt the screen backwards and turn it, doing the same thing in windows. If osu! would work in the future on non rt windows 8 tablets (which is a market) it would just be a matter of tilting the screen nothing extra involved.

This is how it is already possible now warning big pictures
I wouldn't call disabling 2 of them a big advantage, but as you can also see this is not a setup I like to use.
Soaprman
Looks like 8K would use about the entire width of one of those monitors.

I think this would be fun to play with. And it doesn't really give an advantage... you're not changing the proportions of the play area. You're just zooming in and increasing the amount of movement your eyes need to do to look up or down.

This could also be used to play horizontally in landscape orientation for those who'd want to try that out... again, making sure to keep the proportions of the playfield intact.

Maybe just implement this in settings as a little picture of a screen with the playfield on it and you click it to rotate it 90°. This would also cover the other feature request about letting you reverse the direction.