forum

What is your favourite book?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
mnh48
What is your favourite book?
State a little bit information of the book, like the price, or place where you buy, or the content, why you buy it, and if possible, post the cover too..
I don't mind about the resolution or quality... But if it's BIG, PLEASE put in a spoiler box....
Please be honest.

Let me start first.. :)
My favourite book is 影响一生的智慧书 (ying xiang yi sheng de zhi hui shu)
Literally, the title means "Book of knowledge that affects whole life"

The original price of the book is 10.00元 (10 Yuan) which is approximately US$1.60 in China,
but when the book is imported into Malaysia, the price become RM 10.00 (10 Malaysian Ringgit) which is approximately US$3.27 lol.

I bought this book during a co-curricular day of my school, Bedong Secondary School in Bedong, Kedah, Malaysia.
At that time, a book company came to sell books in the school hall. My pocket money at that time is RM 15.00 (approx. US$4.90) so I decided to buy the book! :D

When I'm not busy, or when I'm boring, I would read the book! :)
I usually store the book in a small book shelf on a small table beside my bed, along with my school magazine, Visi,
and another book entitled 曙光 (shu guang) which is published in 2010 by Bedong Secondary School's Chinese Society (Malay: Persatuan Bahasa Cina Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Bedong / Chinese: 美农中学华文学会)

Cover image:

Click here for larger resolution

P/S: It's my habit to write my name and my class on the cover and first page of any books I buy, so don't ask why I write my names.
This is to ensure that the books wouldn't exchanged with other similar books that is not mine.
FYI, 喜达亚 (xi da ya) is my Chinese name, originated from the third word of my Malay given name, Hidayat.
And 4 Sc 1 is actually short-form of Class 4 Science 1, my class in Bedong Secondary School.
Class 4 Science 1 is proper name, in English (Malaysian English), Class 4 Science 1 is Class number 1 of Science stream in 4th year of Secondary School
(I know, it became longer... ~.~) <--past tense
Tesu
My favorite book is George Orwell 1984
Moriya Suwako
I love Hemingway's novels, especially <A Farewell to the Arms>.
By the way I'm only interested in novels or mangas. I don't like reading books such as "Key to Success" or any others. :cry:
For the books such as "Book of knowledge that affects whole life", I'm getting bored as well, but I have to say that the knowledge from this kind of books is worth considering.
UnderminE
The Alchemist.
Chiwi-nyaaw

UnderminE wrote:

The Alchemist.
OMG I've read that book in class one year :D

Also one of my favorite book has been Ten Little Indians :3
UnderminE
I don't even remember how many times I've read it /o/
Vish024
I have too many to choose from.
Suzu_old_1
Everything what Agatha Christie wrote :3
UnderminE

Kamixdesu wrote:

And then there were none <3
silmarilen
the silmarillion
Topic Starter
mnh48

LaVolpe024 wrote:

I have too many to choose from.
LOL. Don't you have a book that is very special, that you read it so many times out of your many favourite books??
Kanye West

Frezix wrote:

QFT bro, QFT
silmarilen
i just read 1984 for school, it was good, but there are other books i liked more
Pettanko
50 Shades of Grey and Twilight.

Also The Bible, King James Version.
Foxtrot
Sometimes I pick up Ulysses and read some pages, then I give up and put it down.

It's special to me because it's the most difficult book I have ever read.

Also, sometimes I like to read 1984 in a whole evening when I don't have anything to do, or Fahrenheit 451.
zertap
Inheritance trilogy (has 4 books) is the winning one I think. SAO has so good setting that I'm not sure if it is better or not, the concept is like my dreams come true!
Moriya Suwako

Dulcet wrote:

Sometimes I pick up Ulysses and read some pages, then I give up and put it down.

It's special to me because it's the most difficult book I have ever read.

Also, sometimes I like to read 1984 in a whole evening when I don't have anything to do, or Fahrenheit 451.
I have a English-version Ulysses in my home.
I just don't know how to understand that, but I really love some James Joyce's early libertries. :D
Moriya Suwako
lol by the way, do you use Chinese as your first language?
Seph
totally loved Tuesdays with Morrie
Topic Starter
mnh48

yellowyoshi1996 wrote:

Actually, no. My native language is Malay, Chinese is my 2nd language as I learnt it since kindergarten until Form 3 in secondary school.
In 2008, I got grade B for Chinese Writing paper and grade C for Chinese Comprehension in UPSR exam.
So, I learnt Chinese for 3 more years in secondary school. But, in form 3's PMR exam (2011), I failed (and many others taking the same paper also failed! Anyway, my class best student, Tan Jing Yi which usually got A only can get B in PMR exam.)
*FYI, failed=grade E and I'm the only Malay student in my school that takes Chinese paper during PMR exam, plus 1 Chindian student named Danesh, he got grade D [wtf])
I won't take Chinese language paper in SPM exam next year. :P

BUT, I still can read and write, and I would still use Chinese language in my daily life as it's easy to talk (seriously), I always use Chinese whenever I can, including when asking teacher for questions as end-of-year exam is near, or when I go to Chinese shop, and FYI, the Chinese language that I'm using (and most Chinese peoples in Malaysia are using) is actually Malaysian Mandarin. LOL

Additional info:
First/Native language: MALAY
2nd language: CHINESE (Mandarin)
3rd language: ENGLISH (Malaysian / UK)
Now learning: JAPANESE (still very basic, must learn more lo)
Can understand a very little bit of: Classic Arabic (This is just because some words in Classical Arabic appeared in modern rumi Malay language VIA traditional Malay language that uses Jawi alphabet.
xXLeonKunXx
I read few books, but up to now, my favourite is what that I reading now, "The Hobbit"
Aeidxst

Kamixdesu wrote:

Moriya Suwako

MuhdNurHidayat wrote:

yellowyoshi1996 wrote:

Actually, no. My native language is Malay, Chinese is my 2nd language as I learnt it since kindergarten until Form 3 in secondary school.
In 2008, I got grade B for Chinese Writing paper and grade C for Chinese Comprehension in UPSR exam.
So, I learnt Chinese for 3 more years in secondary school. But, in form 3's PMR exam (2011), I failed (and many others taking the same paper also failed! Anyway, my class best student, Tan Jing Yi which usually got A only can get B in PMR exam.)
*FYI, failed=grade E and I'm the only Malay student in my school that takes Chinese paper during PMR exam, plus 1 Chindian student named Danesh, he got grade D [wtf])

BUT, I still can read and write, and I would still use Chinese language in my daily life as it's easy to talk (seriously), I always use Chinese whenever I can, including when asking teacher for questions as end-of-year exam is near, or when I go to Chinese shop, and FYI, the Chinese language that I'm using (and most Chinese peoples in Malaysia are using) is actually Malaysian Mandarin. LOL

Additional info:
Can understand a very little bit of: Classic Arabic (This is just because some words in Classical Arabic appeared in modern rumi Malay language VIA traditional Malay language that uses Jawi alphabet.
My nationality is not Chinese, either, but I can read most Chinese books, because I'm studying in China now. I'll back to the USA 2 years later. :D
By the way, I'm really surprised at the Classic Arabic. :3
Aoko

UnderminE wrote:

Kamixdesu wrote:

And then there were none <3
I love you. <3 /o/

I love all kinds of books, yet I haven't decided what is my favorite of all >w<
Topic Starter
mnh48

yellowyoshi1996 wrote:

MuhdNurHidayat wrote:

Additional info:

My nationality is not Chinese, either, but I can read most Chinese books, because I'm studying in China now. I'll back to the USA 2 years later. :D
By the way, I'm really surprised at the Classic Arabic. :3
Haha... :) but it's just really a FEW of Classic Arabic... :D I won't understand the Arabic grammar but I can understand the specific words like "syukur" is "thankful" and "syukran" is "thank you".. :) I can't type Arabic words directly as I don't know the words are mapped into which keys.. (There's no IME for Arabic, only direct-input, like old Japanese which use direct kana input, or Traditional Chinese that use direct bopomofo input, but luckily now Japanese have IME that allow rômaji input and traditional Chinese also have IME for PinYin input.)
Hika
Interesting topic...
I've read Norwegian Wood enough to be in love with the book. Anything written by Haruki Murakami is perfect for me though I've only read a handful of his books.
Tesu

Kanye West wrote:

Frezix wrote:

QFT bro, QFT
ahahaha
show more