forum

[osu!mania] Vertical flip functionality [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +63
Topic Starter
Piter
Hello!

I'd love to see a setting/mod which would allow player to vertically flip the screen, so the notes approach from the bottom to the top.

Why?

I think that there are lots of DDR-type game players (I am one of them as well), and it would be a whole lot easier for them to play in orientation that they're used to. Also, this combined with 4K mod and some appropriate skin just might make osu! a great alternative for available DDR sims.

@edit: Yep, my wrong, i meant vertically :D

@edit2:

theowest wrote:

Here's something peppy said in his live stream, at 1:12:42. http://www.twitch.tv/peppyhax/b/335289369

Adding vertical flip may happen at some point. But I wouldn't expect it too soon. It's definitely on my list of stuff to do. I asked woc about it and he said.. he's not that interested. But I'll make sure it happens at some point.
It needs quite a bit of changing to the current code, because everything is obviously hard-coded to scroll downwards.

but I would rather make it scroll upwards and implement another game mode just for upwards scrolling. So yeah, I guess it will happen at some point.
Whether it happens before we get ranking or not, I'm not too sure.
It wasn't easy to find this!
theowest
Agreed. and in any case, it should have 1.0x score multiplier.
Archangel Tirael
Maybe you meant say "verticaly flip"?
theowest

Archangel Tirael wrote:

Maybe you meant say "verticaly flip"?
yes lol.
ann_old
Would love this, Support!
winber1
being a retired stepmania/ffr player... that still sucks at the game, but meh (C'MON GUYS LET ME JUST ACT PRO)

it would be nice to see.
Bites
i'd absolutely support if i had any stars! but please, yes!
Gon
I play downscroll but I support this nonetheless.. playing upscroll does not give any advantage/disadvantage in any way. As long as the note patterns itself doesn't change, it's completely fine imo. Again, support!
Joof
I'd love this, no stars left though. ): . Support~
[Kanzaki Ranko]
No-star support here!
... Even though I always use Reverse scrolling when playing DDR/Stepmania.
qlum
I would love to see something like this however you need to consider that there are quite a few issues with this, you will see big black bars at the bottom and top of the background images, video, or storyboard as they are not made for portrait mode.

These black bars will be a lot bigger than when you are running on a widescreen pannel normally. So if there is a generic portrait mode background it could be a lot better. I personally thought about it as support for portrait mode screen aspect ratio's and resolutions like 1080x1920 (9x16) and so on. but a mod may be better.
bugeyedbillyh
Support, support, support, support, support
FissionMailed
This really needs to be a feature. It's so tedious to have to flip my resolution just to play up scroll.
Hoaru_old
Great idea, even if Im not good at DDR, I'd still support this!
Rei Hakurei
lol yes, support this 'Reverse'-oriented mod :)
theowest
Here's something peppy said in his live stream, at 1:12:42. http://www.twitch.tv/peppyhax/b/335289369

Adding vertical flip may happen at some point. But I wouldn't expect it too soon. It's definitely on my list of stuff to do. I asked woc about it and he said.. he's not that interested. But I'll make sure it happens at some point.
It needs quite a bit of changing to the current code, because everything is obviously hard-coded to scroll downwards.

but I would rather make it scroll upwards and implement another game mode just for upwards scrolling. So yeah, I guess it will happen at some point.
Topic Starter
Piter

theowest wrote:

Thank you very much for this find.

Indeed, if it would take so much work just to flip the screen...

The idea of making it a new game mode came to my mind as well, but I thought that I'd be asking for too much :oops:
theowest
Can you put this in your opening post maybe?

theowest wrote:

woc2006
May consider this feature but not for now.
It's need lot of changes.
theowest
I guess people will have to do this in the meantime:
deadbeat
sweet mother of mercy that looks insane D:
qlum
Oh you meant flipping of the image. I just meant 90 degree turning of the image so you can use your screen in portrait mode and use a bigger area of the screen. I will make a topic for that myself then.
deadbeat
so like taiko ._.''
qlum
basically the thing will look the same on screen same direction and all but the screen will be set to portrait mode so it can take up a lot more space instead of only a small portion of a widescreen monitor being used.

And yes I know I was being very stupid here.
deadbeat
i think i vertical scroll would be better imo
Angry Food
SUPPORT!
qlum

deadbeat wrote:

i think i vertical scroll would be better imo
it will still be vertical scroll just with the monitor itself turned 90 degries aka being in portrait mode.
changing it from this:

to this:
Bobbias
I might actually play 4k if there's native support for upwards scrolling rather than down.
theowest
I guess this is assigned after all.
danceNumber
+3, this is a great idea. I was a long time In The Groove player before I found osu. That would be awesome if it happened!
show more