forum

osu!mania layout: Left to Right vs. Symmetrical

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
eXX_on
I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this, as someone who has never played this style of rhythm game before.

What are the subtleties between the two layouts? What are the disadvantages and advantages of each style? For me, the layman, the symmetrical style seems to be the most intuitive, but there must be good reason for the Left to Right.

I just don't want to start out on one style, only to find out that the other would have been better for the difficult maps, and then not be able to switch because muscle memory has set in.

Thanks!

Edit: just realized that this thread would be better suited for the Gameplay & Rankings forum... oh well, maybe a mod can move it so I don't spam everything.
miss_master_old
mania is awesome
Kitsunemimi
As far as I know (haven't tested it myself), aside from modifying the default key bindings, the Left to Right keys map differently to songs with less keys, as compared to the Symmetrical.

For example if we use the defaults, "z s x d c f v g b" and "a s d f space j k l ;", those would be the keys used if you were so unfortunate as to be confronted by a 9-key map. However, let's say you step down a couple notches and stick to a more modest 5-keys. With left-to-right, the keys you use would be "z s x d c", but with symmetrical it would be "d f space j k".

So depending on the way you'd have your keys "scale down", you can choose the appropriate one.
no signal_old

miss_master wrote:

mania is awesome
420Guy

miss_master wrote:

mania is awesome
zertap
also, isn't the left to right about the same layout as IIDX controller has? like a zigzag
Cyclohexane
symmetrical is when you have one finger assigned to hit one button
left to right is when your hands hover above the keyboard and you just try to hit stuff regardless of the finger