forum

[osu!Mania] Design and some feature

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +11
Topic Starter
S u i c i d a l
Firstly i would like to say this is mainly just my idea to improve osu!mania as it has just arrive in osu!.

Here are some of the idea(s) :
• Design
• Function
• Suggestion

To be honest, after seeing osu!mania being released, i have so many ideas to change it to something like DJMAX, oh well

Design
Osu!mania have just released, so we can't expect much on it. But i would really love to request it that the column to able to change it's position.
Instead of being at the left side of the screen, maybe to the middle or right.

As for the color and design i won't crisis much, as Peppy said that there will be upcoming updates.

Function
As i mention above, i have quite some requests similar to DJMAX, but of course not everything, to preserve the unique of osu!.

• The speed. Like what Harappy mention. The speed for the notes to fall from the top.
*post over here.

• As we play and hitting those notes, there's a combo.
It would be nice if there's a 'fever'.
Once we reached combos of 100`, 500`, 1000` etc. we will be able to press a key and get addition points for a certain time.

Unlike DJMAX, the 'fever' will continue if we continuously getting 100% accuracy for the note hit.

Suggestion

• The lettering appeared at the notes we are going to hit.
For beginners would love to try osu!mania sure will have difficulties to start off.

Starting of the song, there will be lettering guide on the keys we are supposed to press on.
But it will fade off as the song starts.

It would be better to enable or disable that feature to whether have that lettering guide.
It would be easier for the newbie(s) to get use to osu!mania.

When i started out, i got so panic to what keys to press.
And i don't get the way of 1st - 9th key when it's in 5keys or 7keys mode.

I have a very strong demanding for this.

• The keys that we hit.

We are able to change the keys setting in the Option>Input>Key Binding.

However the keys for 1st - 9th keys are very confusing.

When it comes to 5keys which is Hard or Insane for a certain beatmap.
The keys are not according to 1st key.

Instead it started off at 2nd/3rd key.

It would be better to have key combination.
I called it that way.

Knowing there's so many awesome beat mappers out there to create hard, insane, lunatic beat maps.
Or some people preferred playing easy or normal with lots of mod selected.

I bet not all people can just start off the playing with keys being set like this, isn't?
I know i got confused for that key alignment, so i suggested it. lol,

Having to set a key combination.

Examples of my 'key combination' :

4 keys combination :
1st key : Z
2nd key: X
3rd key: C
4th key: V

And we will save that setting.

5 keys combination :

1st key : C
2nd key: V
3rd key: B
4th key: N
5th key: M

And save that setting for 5 keys game-play.

6 keys combination :

1st key : S
2nd key: D
3rd key: F
4th key: G/H
5th key: J
6th key: K

Something new here.
I have an idea to have multiply selection.
Able to have a key to have two keys.

As for 5 keys also can do so.

I actually have this idea from DJMAX Trilogy.

As keys are getting more to 7,8 or 9.
Maybe we can slightly slack a little?

Able to press a note that fall maybe in the 1st key and we can press it with others key to hit that note.

Example a note fall at G, instead of pressing the key G we can press others keys like H, J or K that has been set as our key combination.

I understood that some people might dislike this type of feature as it might be unfair.

Well, over all that's my proposal to improve osu!mania.

EDITED.

Also to add up something,
I find that pressing 3 keys at once isn't available.
deadbeat
long reply go \o/

xLiarLiar wrote:

Firstly i would like to say this is mainly just my idea to improve osu!mania as it has just arrive in osu!. Firstly, osu!mania has been around for months in the test build.

Here are some of the idea(s) :
• Design
• Function
• Suggestion

To be honest, after seeing osu!mania being released, i have so many ideas to change it to something like DJMAX, oh well again. been around for ages. also why would you want to change something else, when you could just play that o.O

Design
Osu!mania have just released, so we can't expect much on it. But i would really love to request it that the column to able to change it's position.
Instead of being at the left side of the screen, maybe to the middle or right. i think its better where it is so that in the case of video's and Sb's, you can still get a decent view of them

As for the color and design i won't crisis much, as Peppy said that there will be upcoming updates. or skin some other colours

Function
As i mention above, i have quite some requests similar to DJMAX, but of course not everything, to preserve the unique of osu!. i don't like where this is going ._.

• The speed. Like what Harappy mention. The speed for the notes to fall from the top.
*post over here.

• As we play and hitting those notes, there's a combo.
It would be nice if there's a 'fever'.
Once we reached combos of 100`, 500`, 1000` etc. we will be able to press a key and get addition points for a certain time. no. combo's all ready give a decent score boost. i don't think we need anything like this

Unlike DJMAX, the 'fever' will continue if we continuously getting 100% accuracy for the note hit. ^

Suggestion

For beginners would love to try osu!mania sure will have difficulties to start off. it all ready does that http://osu.ppy.sh/ss/454483

Starting of the song, there will be lettering guide on the keys we are supposed to press on.
But it will fade off as the song starts. again. all ready does that

It would be better to enable or disable that feature to whether have that lettering guide.

When i started out, i got so panic to what keys to press.
And i don't get the way of 1st - 9th key when it's in 5keys or 7keys mode.

xLiarLiar wrote:

I have a very strong demanding for this.

• The keys that we hit.

We are able to change the keys setting in the Option>Input>Key Binding.

It would be better to have key combination.
I called it that way.

Knowing there's so many awesome beat mappers out there to create hard, insane, lunatic beat maps.
Or some people preferred playing easy or normal with lots of mod selected.

I bet not all people can just start off the playing with keys being set like this, isn't?
I know i got confused for that key alignment, so i suggested it. lol,

Having to set a key combination.

Examples of my 'key combination' :

4 keys combination :
1st key : Z
2nd key: X
3rd key: C
4th key: V

And we will save that setting.

5 keys combination :

1st key : C
2nd key: V
3rd key: B
4th key: N
5th key: M

And save that setting for 5 keys game-play.

6 keys combination :

1st key : S
2nd key: D
3rd key: F
4th key: G/H
5th key: J
6th key: K

Something new here.
I have an idea to have multiply selection.
Able to have a key to have two keys.

As for 5 keys also can do so.

I actually have this idea from DJMAX Trilogy.

As keys are getting more to 7,8 or 9.
Maybe we can slightly slack a little?

Able to press a note that fall maybe in the 1st key and we can press it with others key to hit that note.

Example a note fall at G, instead of pressing the key G we can press others keys like H, J or K that has been set as our key combination.

I understood that some people might dislike this type of feature as it might be unfair.

Well, over all that's my proposal to improve osu!mania.
osu!mania is only 7 key as far as i know. and having different key bindings for each difficulty sounds really unneeded ;__;
Topic Starter
S u i c i d a l
osu!mania is only 7 key as far as i know. and having different key bindings for each difficulty sounds really unneeded ;__;
Hmm, well i find it quite confusing for the key alignment. :x
deadbeat
i'm sorry. it is 9 key and you can remap all the keys to whatever you want
Rei Hakurei
osu mania has a fixed score which only able to reach 10k, if there's a fever mode then the score will exceed the hard capping limit (without mod anyway)
(also per combo added 5 points)
Topic Starter
S u i c i d a l
My point is that is a little confusing.
For example, 1st key is G. While playing 5 keys songs instead of 1st key appearing as G is others keys.
deadbeat
i'm sorry. didn't follow that at all :<
Wishy
That's really, REALLY confusing:

Another example:

On 5k, 3rd tab = space bar. On 7k, 5th tab = space bar.

This is WAY too confusing. I'd rather get something like this:

7k:

6k:

5k:

Guess that's a little easier to understand now, apparently my English is not good enough for explaining this kind of stuff.

Inb4 paint skills oh yes.

Like in Guitar Hero, you ALWAYS got the 5 tabs, even when you played in Easy and just used 3 buttons. But then you got used to 1 = Green, 2 = Red, 3 = Yellow (I think those were the colors lol), then you got used to the 4th button (was it teal?) when playing Normal, and then the 5th button (orange) on Hard/Expect. With that method you could get used to it way easier.
deadbeat
wishy's image makes SOOO much more sense xD
also fuck yes paint skills <3
anyway, looking at wishy's awesome image's. having all tabs open and then maybe dimming/blacking out the unused parts could be useful i guess
Sakura
I think this is based on beatmania, not DJMax, which is why it's called osu!mania.

Other than that, Supporting whishy's idea... the others not so much as they feel like the poster wants to change the mode into a DJMax clone.

(I still want a guitar hero mode ;_;)
Wishy
:( :)
Azure_Kite
I'd still like to see two keys to activate the central lane in (odd)k modes.

5/7k : J and F activate Centre lane

But I'm a DJMaxFag.
Topic Starter
S u i c i d a l

Wishy22 wrote:

That's really, REALLY confusing:

Another example:

On 5k, 3rd tab = space bar. On 7k, 5th tab = space bar.

This is WAY too confusing. I'd rather get something like this:

7k:

6k:

5k:

Guess that's a little easier to understand now, apparently my English is not good enough for explaining this kind of stuff.

Inb4 paint skills oh yes.

Like in Guitar Hero, you ALWAYS got the 5 tabs, even when you played in Easy and just used 3 buttons. But then you got used to 1 = Green, 2 = Red, 3 = Yellow (I think those were the colors lol), then you got used to the 4th button (was it teal?) when playing Normal, and then the 5th button (orange) on Hard/Expect. With that method you could get used to it way easier.
Thanks for the explanation, now everything really make sense. Still, a little bit confusing.
winber1

xLiarLiar wrote:

EDITED.

That's probably your keyboard problem. Certain (bad) keyboards can't press more than a certain amount of keys at once. On this mech keyboard i have i can press like 20 keys are once or something

and yes, I also found this really weird when I was playing osu!mania in the test build a while ago. it annoyed me and I just sat in the options thinking of a way to fix this. Just doing a feature request was probably easier...
Topic Starter
S u i c i d a l

winber1 wrote:

xLiarLiar wrote:

EDITED.

That's probably your keyboard problem. Certain (bad) keyboards can't press more than a certain amount of keys at once. On this mech keyboard i have i can press like 20 keys are once or something
I am using a Razer Deathstalker.
Azure_Kite
From memory the Razer Lycosa had the same problem for default DJMax Keys. Just because you pay good money for a product doesn't necessarily mean everything will work fine. You can try remapping the keys to something else to avoid the switching issue.
Harappy
For the Design and Function sections, I think all peppy needs is a bit of time and help from the community. osu!mania feels like it's still in beta but peppy has given all of us the privilege to enjoy this amazing mode as soon as possible. (which game lets you choose how many keys you want to play with?)

xLiarLiar wrote:

For beginners would love to try osu!mania sure will have difficulties to start off.

But it will fade off as the song starts.

Throwing a star at the post for this.
Being an ex o2jam/stepmania player, I have no problem picking up the strings to the game (and the keying system/ghosting problem). For many whose first rhythm game is osu!, however, that is a totally different story. Learning how to play the game is usually the hardest part, and I think giving the most support to welcome new players to join in the fun is very much worth the effort. Maybe a tutorial while we're at it? :P

xLiarLiar wrote:

Many posts have pointed this out, but personally I don't think there's any problem with the keying system. All we need is just to rename the keys into something more specific and easy to understand. Pretty crude wording I used but I think you get the idea. (With the index finger on the 1st keys, middle finger on the 2nd keys etc.)

ps. not a fan of key combinations

Edit: Just checked and realized that the key naming will not work for 8-key (but honestly 8k mapping looks kinda fked up atm, but I didn't manage to find any maps that's 8k by default)
Topic Starter
S u i c i d a l

Azure_Kite wrote:

From memory the Razer Lycosa had the same problem for default DJMax Keys. Just because you pay good money for a product doesn't necessarily mean everything will work fine. You can try remapping the keys to something else to avoid the switching issue.
I agree that paying good money for a product doesn't mean is perfectly fine.
However i don't mean it that way of paying good money to a keyboard and showing that it will work fine for multiply keys.

*One of Razer DeathStalker feature is, 10 key roll-over. Which can press up to 10 keys at a time.

Cause i admire great design and work from Razer and others gaming product.

Harappy wrote:

Throwing a star at the post for this.
Being an ex o2jam/stepmania player, I have no problem picking up the strings to the game (and the keying system/ghosting problem). For many whose first rhythm game is osu!, however, that is a totally different story. Learning how to play the game is usually the hardest part, and I think giving the most support to welcome new players to join in the fun is very much worth the effort. Maybe a tutorial while we're at it? :P

Many posts have pointed this out, but personally I don't think there's any problem with the keying system. All we need is just to rename the keys into something more specific and easy to understand. Pretty crude wording I used but I think you get the idea. (With the index finger on the 1st keys, middle finger on the 2nd keys etc.)

ps. not a fan of key combinations
Thanks for the support! And also pointing out the way you rename your keys. Helped out a lot too! :)
Full Tablet

xLiarLiar wrote:

*One of Razer DeathStalker feature is, 10 key roll-over. Which can press up to 10 keys at a time.

Cause i admire great design and work from Razer and others gaming product.
Just in case, you have to activate the keyboard's 'Gaming Mode' for it to be 10 key roll-over (the G with a scope), otherwise it is only 6 key roll-over. Some keys stop working in Gaming Mode.
farter_old
my opinion about key bindings is..

it shouldn't use "1st" "2nd" such words to describe those keys on the interface, as long as they're considered center-aligned...
just "Center,L1,L2,L3,R1,R2,R3" etc are very accrate way to specify them...
maybe a bit more explanation beside it?
jemhuntr

farter wrote:

my opinion about key bindings is..

it shouldn't use "1st" "2nd" such words to describe those keys on the interface, as long as they're considered center-aligned...
just "Center,L1,L2,L3,R1,R2,R3" etc are very accrate way to specify them...
maybe a bit more explanation beside it?
theowest
what's up with these useless quotes right after someone said something. Seriously, I think we all see his post. You don't have to quote him right afterwards.
jemhuntr
sign of approval/agreeing to a statement ^_^
crystalsuicune
Might as well post this request here too…

Right now the osu!mania editor only allows selecting notes on the playfield,not on the timeline nor the grid.
This can make selecting notes rather confusing if the current playfield has many notes visible (which can easily occur when making charts with many notes)

I understand that the current editor is still a WIP and the final product will probably have the grid view instead of the standard playfield view.
But it would be nice to let us select notes from the timeline and grid in the current editor.
Topic Starter
S u i c i d a l

crystalsuicune wrote:

Might as well post this request here too…

Right now the osu!mania editor only allows selecting notes on the playfield,not on the timeline nor the grid.
This can make selecting notes rather confusing if the current playfield has many notes visible (which can easily occur when making charts with many notes)

I understand that the current editor is still a WIP and the final product will probably have the grid view instead of the standard playfield view.
But it would be nice to let us select notes from the timeline and grid in the current editor.
I totally agree with it.
TouchFluffyTail

In Lunatic Rave 2 there's a thing called "lane cover" when you disable specific lanes/play a lower than 7+1k count on a 7+1 skin. I was thinking it'd be nice to have this option for mania, since many 7k players seem to avoid playing the less common key amounts like 5k or 6k (I definitely would appreciate this for 6k). A simple tick box on the mania ini section of the skin tab and suddenly people can be more comfortable stepping into lower key counts. :)

I've made some quick mock ups of the various settings

Current default base 7k;

6k lane cover mockup

5k lane cover mockup

4k lane cover mockup

You could activate this by a simple checkbox in the options, this would allow you to use either the lane cover system, or the way it currently is now.

Ideally this would use a Lane-Cover.png to make it available to skinners.
deadbeat
p/1826264 I KNEW I'D SEEN THIS BEFORE. maybe i should merge the threads :/
theowest

deadbeat wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/1826264 I KNEW I'D SEEN THIS BEFORE. maybe i should merge the threads :/
be careful though, you don't want to lose that request's stars.