forum

What do you look at when doing jumps?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Zane
I've never figured out what's better, using your peripherals to do jumps or to look at each individual note. I've tried both ways and still shit miss and it's making me frustrated. I'm not opposed to sticking with one method, but id like to see what people do before I make this decision. I often can hit harder jumps but miss on the easier ones, which has to do with my consistency. I'm hoping by figuring out which method works best that I can somehow find an improvement in this.

Thank you
shmowzoww
Depends on how far the jump is. If it is across the screen jumps, i'll look at the first note that pops up then just use peripheral vision to look where the next ones are. If they're close i'll just look more towards the middle of the notes.
Almost
Looking at each individual circle. Your periphery is not very accurate.
shmowzoww

Almost wrote:

It's not, but if it's cross screen jumps that are fast, i personally don't like to do it since it kinda makes me dizzy (I probably am to close the screen to do it)
Almost

shmowzoww wrote:

Almost wrote:

It's not, but if it's cross screen jumps that are fast, i personally don't like to do it since it kinda makes me dizzy (I probably am to close the screen to do it)

It is less accurate. Try something simple like throwing a ball into a basket by first looking at the basket directly and then try looking at something a slight distance away from the basket. You'll have more accuracy looking directly at the basket and this same logic applies when looking at circles directly.

I think everyone has problems when first doing it but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Think of it as an investment into the way you play going forward.
im flat
I look at each circle individually lots of eye movement
I used to think that my eyes just stared in one place until I recorded my face while playing a map
shmowzoww

Almost wrote:

shmowzoww wrote:

Almost wrote:

It is less accurate. Try something simple like throwing a ball into a basket by first looking at the basket directly and then try looking at something a slight distance away from the basket. You'll have more accuracy looking directly at the basket and this same logic applies when looking at circles directly.

I think everyone has problems when first doing it but the more you do it, the easier it becomes. Think of it as an investment into the way you play going forward.

I'll try it and see how it works out. Good advice :)
MarcusS

Almost wrote:

shmowzoww wrote:

Almost wrote:

I started trying to look at each individual note (barely any misses) but my acc goes to shit when I do it. At least I can FC those maps without 100+ tries now.
Topic Starter
Zane
Interesting replies, Thank you all, I will continue to try both ways and see which one works for me :).
polars
I use peripheral vision most of the time, especially for long/fast jumps. If I'm in a jump section of a map, I mostly just stare at the middle of the screen and let my muscle memory do the rest.
Zanzaar
If I start to look at each circle individually - I immediately begin to make many misses. I have to use peripheral vision, because if you start to think about how you play, then I play much worse than when I play almost thoughtlessly.
shmowzoww

Zanzaar wrote:

If I start to look at each circle individually - I immediately begin to make many misses. I have to use peripheral vision, because if you start to think about how you play, then I play much worse than when I play almost thoughtlessly.

Sometimes it's too fast to look at individual notes. But as Almost said, it's hard at first, but the more you do it the easier it becomes. I've been trying it that way for the past week and have seen a bit of improvement with actually hitting some notes. Not every note individually needs to be looked at directly though.
nature
I almost exclusively use my peripheral vision for jumps. If I look at them, I almost always miss (have no clue why), but I do pay a lot of attention to sliders and streams.
Momori
just stare at the screen O_o
Juuuuuuuuul
i keep my eyes near my cursor, that mean i first detect the next circle with peripheral, but i don't go focus on it instantly, i need to wait for my cursor to go from the previous circle to the next circle before focusing on it.
i do that for everything, not only jumps, slider-ends included.
If i don't do that, i loose my cursor and i misread.
My Angel Jeremy
I literally just stare at the center of the screen