forum

8-Bit osu! skin.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
I've well, kept this in the black for a little while now. This kind of steps back to about a month ago, but until a few days ago, I've been putting it off. I may have mentioned this to a few friends as well as shared some screenshots. All the content will be formulated by me. Even the sound effects, too.

I think these two general screen-shots will fare well for now.

Yes, that is a fraps indicator at the bottom left. Yes, I've made a video of it which will take forever darnit... soon compress.. be up any minute now as it's uploading!

And the results, too.

Problems that I'm already aware of:
  1. The soft plain hit sound is too soft.
  2. Can't see the hit circle numbers when the hit circle is white(ish).
  3. The normal plain hit sound is a little loud.
  4. Scorecard can't hold a billions digit. (Yes, there is a map that goes beyond 1 billion.)
  5. The playfield background is not ready. I'm going to 8-biticize that too. Until then, it's a pixelated default playfield.
Other than that, a video will soon be uploaded and linked in this post. You'll then get to hear the hitsounds too.

Ephemeral
may want to include a download link
Topic Starter
Kitokofox

Ephemeral wrote:

may want to include a download link
If you really insist, I'll go pack it up now.
It's still WIP. A lot of it is unfinished.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/71865751/8bit.zip

P.S.
It has a custom catcher too, which is also WIP. No custom fruits yet, however. Taiko doesn't have anything yet, I'm focusing on getting standard and the general GUI all wrapped up before I do that.

Edit: Maybe everyone is asleep? I dunno where everyone is.

Edit: Video added. :)
OsuMe65
-osu!Skin REVIEW-
*WIP = all suggestions / comments (NO SCORE APPLIED). Take it or leave it. It's up to you...*

1. try to make some 8-bit hits
  2. an 8-bit mod icons will go with an 8-bit health bar :)
  3. and try to have Taiko and CTB (and osu!Mania if you're a supporter) on your 8-bit skin
Topic Starter
Kitokofox
All those that you listed will be in the final product, believe it or not. I'm even thinking of adding an extra 8-bit title screen bg..:)
I'll be making even 8-bit taiko hit sounds too. And when I can ever find the name for the banana time catch sound in catch the beat, that's getting an 8-bit makeover too. ^-^

Take it or leave it? I take every comment that gets sent my way!
And when I get a chance to get my supporter status back, I'll skin out osu!mania too.

I'm always working on this. It's a lot of work but I'm more than happy too :)
Don-Tan
it's actually a real great idea... can't wait for it :>
Deaf_old_1
I shall wait for the day it is finished :)
Ayesha Altugle
please don't bump 7 months thread
[Luanny]
What's the problem on resurrecting a skin topic?
It may even help so the OP checks it and decides to finish/update the skin.
OsuMe65

vahn10 wrote:

please don't bump 7 months thread (only the best fags do it...)
this is not 2 to forbid bumping very old threads...
even 2 year old threads are still bumped nowadays here in the skinning forums...

[Luanny] wrote:

What's the problem on resurrecting a skin topic?
It may even help so the OP checks it and decides to finish/update the skin.
that's right... it's the OP's choice to update this one anytime ;)
r E s P
This skin is my opinion is n00b Why?. Because cursor is very bad for playing and it's got 90% elements default
Dolphin

r E s P wrote:

This skin is my opinion is n00b Why?. Because cursor is very bad for playing and it's got 90% elements default
but its WIP.... He's still working on it :P

Edit: My tiny opinion on the skin.
I like the 8-bit hitsounds and stuff. It's cool :p

You might want to change the 300/100/50/X flashes to be smaller, since they are a bit too large (I would suggest having plain numbers like the new default)

Also the normal-hitnormal is kinda too high-pitched. I wish it would sound more like a empty drum hit like the default. Just 8-bit. Try lower the pitch? :P
soft-hitfinish and normal-hitfinish are odd to play with due to them being 2 "syllables" instead of 1 like what most hitsounds are.

Also the cursor (as stated previously) is not that great to play with, due to it being almost completely white. Try changing it to a simple red ball with white outlines.
Maybe something like this

with a similar trail I that could be all red.
Maybe smaller too (half the size or something)

Thats just my general feedback. :P
-[Cow]-
This will be awesome if someone make a 8-bit font for taiko
dfsgh75659
Link Dosen't work
Frogsi

dfsgh75659 wrote:

Link Dosen't work
Its 5 years old. I dont think there will be a new download skin for that skin. :/
Aurele
Locked.

Please avoid bumping old threads.

Have a nice day!