forum

Add a slider speedup / slowdown indicator

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
mm201
Since tick reading doesn't work for everyone, and because maps from 2009 and earlier change slider speeds with BPM (and therefore show no tick spacing change), let's consider the possibility of adding some sort of global speed change indicator to sliders.

My thought is flashing the border of the head circle with a black and white stipple.
Lybydose

mm201 wrote:

My thought is flashing the border of the head circle with a black and white stipple.
Can you make a mock-up picture of this? I have no idea what it would look like.

I'd rather just see the slider outline change color.
RandomJibberish
One of the main problems I have with this is that no warning is necessary at all in many cases - any indicator would be pointless extra ugliness on good maps which don't actually need any warning at all.
Krisom
What about a red glow in the slider start/ends and sliderbody when speedup, and blue when slowdown?
Topic Starter
mm201
The speed change ratio would need to be greater than 2:3 to show any warning.

The dotted ring would rotate.
Lybydose
that kind of works, but what if the slider is stacked under other notes (in an ordinary, non-confusing manner).
Topic Starter
mm201
You should still see part of its border because of stacking, and you should see the warning, which is z-indexed above everything else. If the object is totally buried, something else is wrong with the map.

Changing the slider track itself involves generating (more) textures on the fly, which might not be a welcome performance drop.
Lybydose
even just changing the color like all of Krisom's map already do? I guess under the current system it can just pre-load it since it's the same color throughout the song.

Anyway, why not just make the dots in the ring red for increase and blue for decrease? Slow sliders are just as hard, if not harder that speed ups.
Topic Starter
mm201
I don't like the aesthetic implications of forcing objects to a certain colour.

Lybydose wrote:

Anyway, why not just make the dots in the ring red for increase and blue for decrease? Slow sliders are just as hard, if not harder that speed ups.
Or I could make them violet for increase and royal blue for decreases! UFUFUFUFUU! :twisted:

No really, I was going to spin the dots faster for increases, and slower + in the opposite direction for decreases.
Lybydose
ok yeah that was my 2nd thought
Derekku

mm201 wrote:

No really, I was going to spin the dots faster for increases, and slower + in the opposite direction for decreases.
This would be pretty awesomeeeeee
Sakura

Derekku wrote:

mm201 wrote:

This would be pretty awesomeeeeee
Awesome indeed however it would take more time to get used to than a simple blue/red, how about not only sliders but hitcircles overlays and slider borders flash (at half bpm rate) when there's an inherited section altering the BPM.
Shiirn
Alternately to the pure black/white solution, if you decide to go with the basic idea of "movement = faster", "opposite movement = slower" then let the two colors used be selected either by the map maker, or based off the combo color of the note in question (heightened saturation/lowered for a pattern)
NatsumeRin
This is actually a great idea, this indicator would be much more obvious than a slidertick.

One thing is the startpoint could still be stacked like what Lyby said, if just part of the circle could be seen it's still hard to tell. So would it be better if we add a certain colour on the whole slidertrack (which must be clear in current rule), to indicate the coming speed up/down? Players could choose the color they like for indicating (i'll choose red for up and blue for down personally).

Also, the color depth could be a indicator to "how fast/slow the slider is"?
Sakura
hmm i didnt think about custom slidertrack/overlays since im used to seeing white/gray versions of them, maybe a glow around the notes would be a better idea.
Soaprman
I've seen and made (especially made) some pretty ugly/tacky slider speed warning indicators in my time. Anything that would drive that industry into irrelevance and its workers into joblessness has my support.

I think the animation-based solutions are the best... basically agreeing with mm201's opinion here.

I don't like the aesthetic implications of forcing objects to a certain colour.
Luna
Yes please <3
And I would really like if in addition to the spinning speed and direction of the markings, players could choose which colors these indicators have for speed-ups and -downs respectively (like NatsumeRin suggested).
I don't like the aesthetic implications of forcing objects to a certain colour
Just leave them both black by default (or white for black overlays/borders) and there is no problem with forced ugly color combinations or anything. If a player chooses to set colors, it's his own fault if it looks ugly and nobody can be blamed :P
NatsumeRin
Maybe we could mix the 2 ways we mentioned?
Topic Starter
mm201
Colour tinting the overlays would be fine. Doing stuff to slider tracks isn't worth the effort involved.
Luna

mm201 wrote:

Colour tinting the overlays would be fine. Doing stuff to slider tracks isn't worth the effort involved.
Yeah, that would already be more than enough.
NatsumeRin

mm201 wrote:

yeah that's already enough i think.
Sakura

Luna wrote:

mm201 wrote:

Yeah, that would already be more than enough.
how about when mappers skin black hitcircle overlays then... (or too dark in general), since hitcircle overlays dont have a measured color, but the color from the skin, it would probably add to the color, but black stays black no matter what colour you add

Edit: inb4 "Let's make black hitcircle overlays unrankable!"
Topic Starter
mm201
Hmmmm, instead of alternating black/transparent, they could alternate black and opaque white.
Krisom

Sakura Hana wrote:

how about when mappers skin black hitcircle overlays then... (or too dark in general), "
I was afraid

mm201 wrote:

Hmmmm, instead of alternating black/transparent, they could alternate black and opaque white.
But then I >w<'d
Luna
either what mm201 suggested, or I suppose it would be possible to have the game measure the overlay's brightness and when that drops below a certain number, it uses white/transparent instead of black/transparent.
Dunno if it would work quite as well though~
Sakura

mm201 wrote:

Using black and white and using direction as a hint, its probably going to trip me more than if there were colours, i'd recommend opaque white and opaque red/blue depending on if it's increase/decrease respectively, or let the players decide their speed up/slow down colours in the options
Topic Starter
mm201
It would be a skinnable image.
I wonder whether or not it should be skinnable in-map, because mappers might dork around with it, making it too hard to see.
It would also be disableable, for those who don't need it or who would be bothered more by it than the speed changes themselves.
NatsumeRin

mm201 wrote:

It would be a skinnable image.
We already find the best solution for it!
Lilac
Question. What happens with current ranked maps if this does get implemented?
Luna

Lilac wrote:

Question. What happens with current ranked maps if this does get implemented?
Since it is a skin element, I assume it will be visible as well
Topic Starter
mm201
Why would anything happen to them? They stay the same and possibly receive the marker depending on the speed ratio used.
Lilac
I'm just thinking with certain combo colours and skins that exist on current maps that it might not turn out great for some...

...Never mind me though.
Sakura

Lilac wrote:

I'm just thinking with certain combo colours and skins that exist on current maps that it might not turn out great for some...

...Never mind me though.
Since it's skinnable it could be added to the default skin, which since its a missing element of all map skins it wouldnt override it
ouranhshc
Just sounds like another distraction to me
Luna

ouranhshc wrote:

Just sounds like another distraction to me
It will be skinnable, so you can probably just replace it with a transparent 1x1pt *.png and you won't be distracted any more~
ouranhshc
Inb4 we run into osz2 issues
Sakura

ouranhshc wrote:

Inb4 we run into osz2 issues

Sakura Hana wrote:

Since it's skinnable it could be added to the default skin, which since its a missing element of all map skins it wouldnt override it
ouranhshc
Okay *smirks*
show more