forum

Installing osu! on Linux with low-latency [2024]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
MarshNello

Mombei wrote:

After following the installing procedure I was able to play osu! but it seems I can't open my system settings on Linux anymore
Oh that's probably due to some system update, what distro are you using? I'm kinda sure updating again the system will fix the issue xd
Topic Starter
MarshNello
Getting crashes after updating? o.o

Ayo guys! Seems like the latest Stable update 20230121.1 broke osu! on Wine for both MacOS and Linux users in many cases (i’ve been getting many reports about it), you can read yourself under the latest changelog.

The game works fine for me after reinstalling Winello, but that might be just a case: either try yourself with

osu-wine --fixprefix 
or wait for a fix to get pushed since the goat ppy is already working on it .

Just thought I’d let you know. Have a good day! o/
DanielCLFFF13
still pretty new to linux, but alt-tab still broken for me at least for fullscreen. Would assume its a known issue.
The only fix for me is using borderless or windowed mode, dunno if this gonna affect latency cause it does on Windows.

Try to mess around to see if I could alt-tab in fullscreen, the only fix in fullscreen is with KWin Shortcut, Overview and Virtual Desktop(might work with 2nd monitor?). Although its annoying to do.

At least alt-tab in borderless works.
Topic Starter
MarshNello

DanielCLFFF13 wrote:

still pretty new to linux, but alt-tab still broken for me at least for fullscreen. Would assume its a known issue.
The only fix for me is using borderless or windowed mode, dunno if this gonna affect latency cause it does on Windows.

Try to mess around to see if I could alt-tab in fullscreen, the only fix in fullscreen is with KWin Shortcut, Overview and Virtual Desktop(might work with 2nd monitor?). Although its annoying to do.

At least alt-tab in borderless works.
This happens due to a bug in Wine 8.0, you can simply fix with:

osu-wine --update
DanielCLFFF13
it says already up to date, tried to --fixprefix beforehand still the same.

One thing I forgot to mention, rundll error application could not be started, usually appear on the very first time starting osu, relaunching osu error msg disappear. Same issue in lutris.
Is it related?

And incase its needed, Im using Nobara on KDE, with Intel + Nvidia on X11. How to check dependencies and wine version?
I was under the assumption that Nobara have Wine dependencies and all related stuff preinstalled, since I can run osu (& other games) just fine. Only alt-tab thats broken for osu.

So I check wine-8.0-rc2 (staging), i guess this is reason?
Topic Starter
MarshNello

DanielCLFFF13 wrote:

it says already up to date, tried to --fixprefix beforehand still the same.

One thing I forgot to mention, rundll error application could not be started, usually appear on the very first time starting osu, relaunching osu error msg disappear. Same issue in lutris.
Is it related?

And incase its needed, Im using Nobara on KDE, with Intel + Nvidia on X11. How to check dependencies and wine version?
I was under the assumption that Nobara have Wine dependencies and all related stuff preinstalled, since I can run osu (& other games) just fine. Only alt-tab thats broken for osu.

So I check wine-8.0-rc2 (staging), i guess this is reason?
Oh well:

- Nobara already has dependencies pre-installed and the script knows that, so none of your problems is related to them.
- The "rundll" error is due to how dotnet works under wine, but it only happens when you do any change to your prefix/switch launching the game between Lutris and my launcher/changing wine versions. So no, that's not related and you could just forget about it if you don't switch launchers.
- The alt-tab issue is related to Wine 8.0, which I used to create the wine-osu build you're using. I fixed by going to a previous Wine version, you can install it like this:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/osuconfig/wine-osu
wget -O wine-osu-7.16-x86_64.tar.xz https://github.com/NelloKudo/WineBuilder/releases/download/wine-osu-stable-7.16/wine-osu-7.16-x86_64.tar.xz
tar -xf wine-osu-7.16-x86_64.tar.xz
mv wine-osu ~/.local/share/osuconfig/

After this, you shouldn't face any problem at all. Also since you're using KDE, I recommend going to Settings, KWin Scripts and installing "Autocomposer", it really is a life-savior for gaming e.e
DanielCLFFF13

MarshNello wrote:

rm -rf ~/.local/share/osuconfig/wine-osu
wget -O wine-osu-7.16-x86_64.tar.xz https://github.com/NelloKudo/WineBuilder/releases/download/wine-osu-stable-7.16/wine-osu-7.16-x86_64.tar.xz
tar -xf wine-osu-7.16-x86_64.tar.xz
mv wine-osu ~/.local/share/osuconfig/
tried it, it stil broken sadly. But i noticed the wine-osu tar.xz on Home, is this normal?
And sorry I forgot to mention, I use custom path for osu. Do i need to change/add the command?

MarshNello wrote:

I recommend going to Settings, KWin Scripts and installing "Autocomposer", it really is a life-savior for gaming e.e
Didn't know there's script to automate the process, I did it manually for a while with shortcut lol

edit: tried to check osu-wine vers directly with osu-wine --winecfg
log output says 7.16?
fsync: up and running.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging 7.16 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
2nd edit: tried to see the output, this is what log says when trying to alt-tab
01d0:fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread ThreadIsIoPending info class not supported yet
3rd edit: Tried it in edit mode and in the editor, since alt-tab is only broken in play/solo mode.
Same log line output so clearly not that, as alt-tab works in edit/editor. Then what could be the problem? lol
4th edit: found the problem, maybe? Seems like my specific KDE issue that forces osu to be shown in front. Tried untick above others and it will reset afterwards. Dunno how to fix thou
MooN_Flag
What exactly does the "mouse warp override" setting mean in Lutris, and what exactly does each value of this setting do?
SkepNOP
how to fix my fps being stuck in 60 fps, It's on unlimited???
sousa1
How can i fix my fps locked to my refresh rate?? it stills doesnt pass 144 or 143 fps even on optimal and unlimited

Also my tablet just works outside osu!, i just cant use them on osu, tried EVERYTHING, raw input, windowed, bordeless and fullscren, and as i click with the tip of the tablet or the mice, my tablet just dont work on osu!

Thats the thing made me quit osu linux, you just install everything and dont work good, the same 2 things i said just happened to me ramdomly after a update last year, and i just cant make it to work, please, someone help me

ryzen 5500, rx 6600 with drivers installed on a fresh system
Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Just installed the system,pipewire pulse, osu linux script, open tablet driver, following everything as intended on tutorial.
Topic Starter
MarshNello
Fixes to Wayland problems

the reason you've been getting this is Wayland, the new protocol used to replace X11.
That is really good, but needs some adjustements in order to play osu! xd

OpenTabletDriver not working in osu!

If you noticed your tablet isn't working in-game but only on your desktop, that's because of Absolute mode:

The fix to this is to set OTD to Artist mode instead, but that'll have a massive impact on input latency.
To make up for it, you need to set some stuff in /etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks, open it like this:

sudo mkdir -p /etc/libinput
sudo nano /etc/libinput/local-overrides.quirks
Here, just paste the following:

[OpenTabletDriver Virtual Tablets]
MatchName=OpenTabletDriver*
AttrTabletSmoothing=0
Last but not least, just reboot your pc xd

osu! fps locked to refresh ratio

The fix for this is to install a patched package for XWayland, you can use the following:

Debian, Ubuntu and derivatives, openSUSE
Use the instructions at the following link: Patched XWayland

Arch Linux and der.
Simply install xorg-xwayland-osu from AUR

Fedora and der.
Use the instructions at the following link: Patched XWayland

Hopefully all of this fixes your problems :)

sousa1
Now it runs way better with fps unlocked and tablet actually working on osu but i have a question, why i need to set on artist mode?, like, about 7 months ago when i had osu linux working without any problems i just used absolute mode normally, artist mode makes the inputlag almost unplayabe...

i checked /etc and did not have any "libinput" folder, created the folder and the "local-overrides.quirks" file and pasted everything as you said but still some huge input lag on tablet

also, thanks again, the tablet works with huge input lag but at least i can play for now
ShyneRo
wine-osu option as runner not showing in lutris.
Ladas552
Hey guys, how do you make osu-wine run with Dedicated GPU (NVIDIA)? Can you link a tread where it is discussed?

What methods aren't working:
  1. installing and setting up Optimus Manager, deleted afterward because only worked on other apps, not osu tho
  2. $ prime-run osu-wine;
  3. adding "export __NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1
    export __GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia
    export __VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only
    export VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/nvidia_icd.json" to ~/.local/bin/osu-wine
  4. Via Lutris: Toggling Nvidia Prime Offload and Discrete GPU
  5. In Lutris: Setting Vulkan ICD loader to Nvidia proprietary
The Second method works for Steam if added to /usr/bin, but not with osu.

Also tried other installation process(https://youtu.be/JcqNIkGj0d4), didn't work to set up NVIDIA with this one.

This installation worked on Manjaro, but I reinstalled the system and now Optimus Manager isn't turning Integrative graphics off completely.

Specs:
  1. OS: EndeavourOS Linux x86_64
  2. WM: bspwm
  3. GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M
  4. Kernel: 6.2.10-zen1-1-zen
  5. packages related to NVIDIA: nvidia-dkms nvidia-prime nvidia-utils libvdpau lib32-libvdpau

Solution : Installing "lib32-nvidia-utils" helps wine to use GPU instead of CPU. Now I can play at 480fps
Money256
How can i unistall the game?
vitoco
Hi, now i'm on arch trying to run on Wayland. I tried to install xorg-xwayland-osu from AUR, so i git cloned it and ran makepkg, but this error appeared.

==> Verifying source file signatures with gpg...
    xwayland-23.1.1.tar.xz ... FAILED (unknown public key 14706DBE1E4B4540)
==> ERROR: One or more PGP signatures could not be verified!

Might me a bit stupid to ask but is there a solution for this ;-;
Inkoromy

vitoco wrote:

Hi, now i'm on arch trying to run on Wayland. I tried to install xorg-xwayland-osu from AUR, so i git cloned it and ran makepkg, but this error appeared.

Did you try to run osu! without installing this package?
Topic Starter
MarshNello
Some replies moment lol

vitoco wrote:

Even though I already replied to him, the fix is to simply clone the repo and install it with:

makepkg -si --skippgpcheck

Money256 wrote:

How can i unistall the game?
Simply run ' osu-wine --remove ' and follow the instructions there.
S O U R
THANK YOU !!!
amarat

Liang J wrote:

is there a way to move my songs from windows to Linux?, i tried to move it directly but the game dosent recognize it
press f5. it'll ask to process all beatmaps. that's what works for me
Mimogu
ok you might not have it but if possible could you pls send me the neofetch config of yours from that img. also what is the DE you are using on the img
garmas
everything works fine but my tablet its not working on osu :/ someone knows how to f ix that?
Topic Starter
MarshNello

hnentai wrote:

everything works fine but my tablet its not working on osu :/ someone knows how to f ix that?
Are you perhaps on Wayland? Check with the following in your terminal:

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

If the output is "wayland", then follow what's written here: community/forums/topics/1248084?n=263
garmas

MarshNello wrote:

hnentai wrote:

Are you perhaps on Wayland? Check with the following in your terminal:

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

If the output is "wayland", then follow what's written here: community/forums/topics/1248084?n=263
Thanks Bro (:
Flan_Fan
Just installed this on Linux Mint 21.1 and it worked perfectly with no problems
Unknown Duck
Great, the game opens but whenever I go into windowed mode, the game window becomes invisible and I can't go back to fullscreen with Alt+Enter. Only thing I can do is to end the process in System Monitor and relaunch the game again. I'm running PikaOS 23.04.

It just looks like this:
https://ibb.co/Lp5h16F

UPDATE: Nvm, I just fixed it. I set the window resolution to 800x600, relaunched the game and now the game window isn't invisible anymore when doing Alt+Enter.
MiniJeffiando
bruh sound is buggy af, already followed the troubleshooting instruction of osu-wine --fixprefix, stays the same 💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀💀
Quddy
Nice guide, ty so much. It works perfect on the Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS. The only thing I didn't understand is how to add mp3 to create beatmaps? Drag&drop files directly causes the game to crash, and winefile does not support drag&drop. I tried copying existing folders and modifying the beatmap file, but I didn't find a complete description of each map property in the file. How to guess the beatmap number is also unclear. Is it possible to upload maps with such modifications? At the moment, this is the most realistic option for creating maps on linux that I see.
Topic Starter
MarshNello

Quddy wrote:

Nice guide, ty so much. It works perfect on the Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS. The only thing I didn't understand is how to add mp3 to create beatmaps? Drag&drop files directly causes the game to crash, and winefile does not support drag&drop. I tried copying existing folders and modifying the beatmap file, but I didn't find a complete description of each map property in the file. How to guess the beatmap number is also unclear. Is it possible to upload maps with such modifications? At the moment, this is the most realistic option for creating maps on linux that I see.
Dragging mp3 should work fine after the first crash.
Also give this a try:

osu-wine --fixprefix
Quddy

MarshNello wrote:

Quddy wrote:

Dragging mp3 should work fine after the first crash.
Also give this a try:

osu-wine --fixprefix
Omg it really worked, thanks!
Unknown Duck
Tried this install guide on Debian Bookworm (Debian 12). The script fails and doesn't work. It tries to add non-free repos but they're just Debian 11 repos which is outdated compared to what I'm using. Please update the script to support Debian 12.

UPDATE: I also tried ./osu-winello.sh --no-deps and it finished installing but the game won't start with the osu-wine command. Just got ~/.local/bin/osu-wine: line 67: ~/.local/share/osuconfig/wine-osu/bin/wine: cannot execute: required file not found
Topic Starter
MarshNello

Unknown Duck wrote:

Tried this install guide on Debian Bookworm (Debian 12). The script fails and doesn't work. It tries to add non-free repos but they're just Debian 11 repos which is outdated compared to what I'm using. Please update the script to support Debian 12.

UPDATE: I also tried ./osu-winello.sh --no-deps and it finished installing but the game won't start with the osu-wine command. Just got ~/.local/bin/osu-wine: line 67: ~/.local/share/osuconfig/wine-osu/bin/wine: cannot execute: required file not found
Gonna update it for Debian 12 as well I guess.
Anyways, your problem is probably related to your osu!.exe not downloading properly, either replace it yourself or use osu-wine --changedir and change your osu! folder path so that the script downloads the executable again.
Unknown Duck

MarshNello wrote:

Unknown Duck wrote:

Anyways, your problem is probably related to your osu!.exe not downloading properly, either replace it yourself or use osu-wine --changedir and change your osu! folder path so that the script downloads the executable again.
I just retried it and that error doesn't appear anymore. However, the game still won't open. Tried osu-wine --fixprefix and the game still doesn't open. It downloaded a bunch of stuff but it didn't fix the problem. I'll just wait for your script update.
Unknown Duck

Unknown Duck wrote:

MarshNello wrote:

Unknown Duck wrote:

I just retried it and that error doesn't appear anymore. However, the game still won't open. Tried osu-wine --fixprefix and the game still doesn't open. It downloaded a bunch of stuff but it didn't fix the problem. I'll just wait for your script update.
I just fixed my problem. Adding the Debian Backports and Debian-security repos fixed your script for me. I didn't have them added and that's why I was having dependency issues. It was an issue on my end, not your script. Not only that, but it also fixed my problem of Steam from the Debian repos not installing.

Your script worked now and got osu! installed and working.
Neoz
@MarshNello I have a problem since months, osu! keeps dropping frames (freezes) during gameplay or menu every 5-10 minutes and it's very annoying since ruin my scores, it's enough to notice it looking at the Frame Counter: https://files.catbox.moe/hbz732.mp4 Any idea on how to fix it? I'm using Fedora (X11) and no option worked for me in-game to prevent this. Sorry for the audio delay.
Gintoki8
Hello, I've done this installation months ago on ubuntu, and suddenly since yesterday sometimes when I clear a map (and only when I finish it, as long as I reset I'm fine). I have a "wine debugger" terminal popup with nothing written inside for a second and the game and the popup both crash after a second, and my score is cancelled.
Any ideas on what might cause this?
Toromi Hearts
I'm having a weird issue where osu runs at the proper refresh rate when i set the game to power saving but going up to optimal and unlimited causes the game to feel like its going down in refresh rate. My fps was perfectly fine when i use mangohud but the game gets noticeably choppy, it feels like i go down from 240hz at power saving to 60hz at optimal (feels like 30hz when im using dt).

idk if anyone has dealt with this or knows a fix, im Nobara 38 (fedora based) and its a fresh install, this happens on both xorg and wayland as well as with my 2nd monitor on and off. Compositing is off on xorg when osu runs too.

edit: decided to install arch instead and its doing the same thing, also i should mention i have an amd gpu
Jasnah
I have tried this in arch, ubuntu, fedora and opensuse it always works
paradiseunicorn

Toromi Hearts wrote:

I'm having a weird issue where osu runs at the proper refresh rate when i set the game to power saving but going up to optimal and unlimited causes the game to feel like its going down in refresh rate. My fps was perfectly fine when i use mangohud but the game gets noticeably choppy, it feels like i go down from 240hz at power saving to 60hz at optimal (feels like 30hz when im using dt).

idk if anyone has dealt with this or knows a fix, im Nobara 38 (fedora based) and its a fresh install, this happens on both xorg and wayland as well as with my 2nd monitor on and off. Compositing is off on xorg when osu runs too.

edit: decided to install arch instead and its doing the same thing, also i should mention i have an amd gpu
Looks like we may have a similar issue! I've installed Arch on Wayland today with my AMD GPU and the game is stuck to about 47 fps, alt-entering fixes it until I click anything..

EDIT: Turns out installing the "xorg-xwayland-osu" package from the AUR and rebooting solved the issue.
GloriousNova
Thank you!
show more