forum

Display Male/Female in Profile/Forums? [Denied]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
0_o
I looked, and I can't find anyone else suggesting this, and frankly I can't figure out why not.

Can we have the option of showing our gender on our profile, or better yet, the area under our avatar? Just the male/female sign or something.. It would just be nice to know whether we can refer to someone as he or she; sometimes usernames/avatars can be deceiving. I've seen so many times where someone was referred to as a guy, and they had to be corrected.

I think you should still have the option of keeping it anonymous if you want, but I think this would clear up a lot of confusion. What do you think?
Olinad
Neo@lex
I thought it was already there...
Did it get removed or something?
Gemi
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Pokebis
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
peppy
If someone wants this, write a diff patch against phpbb 3.0.RC5. I'll handle the database side of things.
awp
You can always use your "Location" field for that in the meantime, like I did some time ago.
Zerostarry
RemmyX25

Zerostarry wrote:

Male until proven Female.
IRL Thread?
FurukawaPan

Zerostarry wrote:

I lol'd

But seriously, is this really necessary? Most people get to know each other just fine in irc chat, or multiplayer, and it would just be another place for SFG to remind us about being, in fact, a girl.

I vote, unnecessary. :P

Edit: A !gender command in IRC would be somewhat amusing (especially if it was a hash based on your username or something :lol: )
AceOfArrows

james039 wrote:

SFG to remind us about being, in fact, a girl.
SFG proved to me that there are indeed girls on the internet. And I've seen her picture in the "Post Yourself" thread - attractive at that.

I agree that this would make a nice option to have, and that one should be allowed to reserve their right not to say (and thus be subsequently bugged in chat).
CheeseWarlock
I'm in favour of this. If I knew how, I'd write the patch myself.

james039 wrote:

Edit: A !gender command in IRC would be somewhat amusing (especially if it was a hash based on your username or something :lol: )
This would be hilarious. But way too much work (both code-wise and psychology-wise) to implement. :<
Yuukari-Banteki
couldn't you just have a part of your profile where it says like "[ ] male [ ] female [ ] no gender [ ] robot" or something? And then people could just choose their own gender as they wish
Metroid
LuigiHann
I just make assumptions based on avatars.

In related news, 70% of the users here are female
Echo
adamskii_uk
As long as this forum doesn't turn into a dating agency, I see no harm in having this feature. :)
Jarby
You could just replace the location section with gender. The country flags render location obsolete.
An64fan
Ivalset

LuigiHann wrote:

I just make assumptions based on avatars.

In related news, 70% of the users here are female
Apparently, I used to be a noseless white woman in a robe. Then I became the silhouette of a kangaroo-like creature. Then I got sunglasses and rode a scooter. Now I'm a rapper.

Damn, I am awesome.

On topic: I don't see this as particularly useful at all, because 1) I don't readily believe that more than 10% of users on the internet are female (pretty generous by internet standards), and 2) those who are female love to shove it down everyone's throats or don't mention it at all ever. But who am I to speak for the ladies of the community?
Gens
I dunno how to go in here. It would be really funny, but at the same time useless...
Aw goddamit i'm all for it if it's not too complicated to code.

But, in case this isn't implemented:

Zerostarry wrote:

show more