forum

efficient way to learn mapping?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
powerplayer75
hi, i hate making terrible maps for songs i like so i'd like to expedite my skill so i can get to making maps im satisfied with.

does anyone have any way to efficiently learn to map? for example, would it be worth to exclusively blindly map songs with multiple ranked versions then comparing afterwards? ive only really mapped unranked songs so far so i dont have any point of reference.

id also like to avoid modding queues if possible because my impression of the process has been slow and annoying.
aiq
finding a mentor can be quite effective. having someone telling you what you're doing wrong and what you can do to improve in real time is very helpful. you also end up building connections which is nice if you're planning to rank stuff someday

if you want to learn how to map alone, i'd suggest you analyze maps you like first. work smarter, not harder. instead of just making new maps mindlessly, check your favorite maps and see what patterns you think are cool, and try to implement them in your maps (don't just ctrl+c ctrl+v them though). it would also be good to take maps from styles as diverse as possible, so you don't get hardstuck on one style or only being able to map one genre imo (i've been there, it's awful).

lastly, you can go on some mapping servers and #mapping in-game. not super detailed, but you will get quick feedback on what to improve most of the times.

also: i wouldn't recommend watching pishifat's videos except for four of them imo.
lewski
make a new map, get feedback, repeat ad infinitum

don't get stuck on one map, just move on after you're done with a map whether or not you actually manage to get feedback on it

also, in the meantime, keep playing the game and pay attention to what's going on in the maps you play or even study them in the editor if they're especially interesting
Topic Starter
powerplayer75

aiq wrote:

finding a mentor can be quite effective. having someone telling you what you're doing wrong and what you can do to improve in real time is very helpful. you also end up building connections which is nice if you're planning to rank stuff someday

if you want to learn how to map alone, i'd suggest you analyze maps you like first. work smarter, not harder. instead of just making new maps mindlessly, check your favorite maps and see what patterns you think are cool, and try to implement them in your maps (don't just ctrl+c ctrl+v them though). it would also be good to take maps from styles as diverse as possible, so you don't get hardstuck on one style or only being able to map one genre imo (i've been there, it's awful).

lastly, you can go on some mapping servers and #mapping in-game. not super detailed, but you will get quick feedback on what to improve most of the times.

also: i wouldn't recommend watching pishifat's videos except for four of them imo.
i dont really know what you mean by finding a mentor. i know theres the mentorship program but im not dedicated enough for that.

i do usually look at other maps in the editor but nothing really sticks in my head and just forget once i close the editor.

i dont have the slightest clue where mapping servers are. didn't know there was an in-game mapping channel though.
aiq

powerplayer75 wrote:

i dont really know what you mean by finding a mentor. i know theres the mentorship program but im not dedicated enough for that.
by "finding a mentor" i mean getting someone willing to help you. and if you're not "dedicated enough" for that, then you can just message experienced mappers/mappers you like/whatever on dms for help. you will be learning something new every time, and it won't be too taxing for neither of you.

powerplayer75 wrote:

i do usually look at other maps in the editor but nothing really sticks in my head and just forget once i close the editor.
simply looking at maps isn't really enough in most cases. you have to understand them. i think this is easier when you look at mappers instead of maps - a lot of mappers use concepts they know throughout their maps so if you like someone's map, it's very likely you will also like other maps by them if they're fundamentally similar. that way, it should feel easier to grasp concepts unknown to you

powerplayer75 wrote:

i dont have the slightest clue where mapping servers are. didn't know there was an in-game mapping channel though.
some servers:
CBCE (Community Beatmapping Contest Ecosystem) - contest-related server
mms! (mapset management server) - gds/collabs oriented
pp mappers workshop - i don't know what happens in there
there's also the official mentorship server which i do not have the link
sursum/the other one are also mentoring-related

you also have servers to specific types of songs, like black vultures for metal, edm exile mappers for electronic stuff, etc

there's also taiko mapping server, catch mapping server, and mania mapping server if you ever become interested in mapping other modes
lewski

aiq wrote:

aiq

lewski wrote:

aiq wrote:

man
[[[[[[

aiq wrote:

sursum/the other one are also mentoring-related
oh yeah, the other one
vodit51321
not being able to talk about the other one is so funny to me💀
Fuxi66
Watching video may be good to learn thing but watching someone mapping really helps a lot: you can watch Log Off Now stream everyday on twitch, that's how I learned (⁠。⁠•̀⁠ᴗ⁠-⁠)⁠✧
Agllius
passion >>>>> learning logics >>> find feedback = find mentor > try error > creative >>>>> simply just watch ppl mapping

conclusion = learn the basic logics then go try your best to finish a diff or set if able, go find feedback from ppl who know what mapping logics are / mentor so you can get more feedback cuz random one wont spend too much time on you, find your mistakes and repeat trying to fix and use new things / ideas

passion is everything if you lose it then you cant
just watch ppl mapping without trying to learn their mapping logic is also a waste of time

logics include rhythm, intensity and visual

keep higher standard on yourself, if you cant even pass your standard then redo cuz you cant persuade ppl that your logic etc is rational if you think your work is bad

gl anyway
Ferln4
I was just looking through this thread and the idea of a mentor sounds pretty appealing, what's the best way to find one?
[[[[[[

Ferln4 wrote:

I was just looking through this thread and the idea of a mentor sounds pretty appealing, what's the best way to find one?
sursum is a good discord server to find mentors, especially for new mappers
Ferln4

dPeace wrote:

Ferln4 wrote:

sursum is a good discord server to find mentors, especially for new mappers
Thanks, I'll give it a try!