forum

Major Project Idea

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
So as every player knows by now, dans play a big part in rhythm games and mania. Shoegazer and DDMythical's dans are the most used dans. They consist of 4 maps of 4 different skill sets. Jack, Tech, Speed, and Stamina. One thing I've noticed is the early dans have a smaller gap than the harder dans. Example: Luminal -> Gamma. Delta -> Epsilon. While there is another dan created by Signical to try make this system better I have thought of trying to make my own set of dan courses. I am hoping to have these as a better way to improve at the game. Each dan will consist of an Intro, Standard, and Extra dan. (Names are subject to change) I am hoping to make this something people use and have as an achievement like regular dans. One issue that comes from this is map selection + number of maps. My proposal to this is to have 4-5 maps. If 4 then I most likely will use the 4 original skillsets. If 5 though, my plan is to include a long note map somewhere in the dan. This will help test out your Jack, Technical, Speed, Stamina, and Long Note skills. While they will be harder to many I feel that this will help test out one's skill. This of course is just an estimation of skill. I am thinking of using a 96 or 97.50% requirement depending on how people think. This will make it so people have to truly master each skillset rather then relying on certain skillsets which I hope will create a better way of progressing through the game. I have started this project 2ish months ago but have since gotten busy. This was going to originally be a private project but I feel that giving this to others may be beneficial. Please let me know your ideas on this. I plan to make an Intro 1st -> Extra 10th at least. I will be using Alpha -> Beta -> etc if this grows bigger. I have a few ideas in mind such as a custom logo that you can add to your profile to show as a way of bragging in a way. I have ideas but I'd like to get feedback on this. Thanks in advanced.
midgy
if you don't get permission from every person you use the charts of then I strongly dislike the idea, even better again if you can try to use featured artists.

it's basically impossible to actually balance since skill is such a subjective thing and i'd say leaving long note and rice separate is a much better idea just because of how they are so much different.
regardless of what you do they will be controversial and people will be quick to tell you every mistake because people are tired of the dan courses being the only thing the entire community talks about or plays, also dans are really only a big part of osu!mania in particular, bms has them but it's just not the same as in osu where it has completely taken over the community as a whole, there is a reason neither of the people who made the other dans want anything to do with them anymore
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
yeah i understand that some people will most likely not want their charts with this stuff. i’ll be happy to take stuff down and redo things for them. i most likely will edit each song to fit its skill set or at least try. While dans aren’t as big in games like BMS and SDVX they still are a part of the song and people do go for them. I just think it might be fun to try do and make something that people will like. I’m hoping to get more feedback on this especially with long notes
midgy
if you're going to edit the files i would still say to get permission cause some charters don't like people making edits to their files
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
yeah i'll try get permission but if anything they're free to contact me via discord or dms to let me know. I just want to create something that'll help a lot of people. maybe i'll just chart it all myself. idk i'll have to see. I already have samples of some dans that i privately sent to friends
YyottaCat
Just like... map every single cartography in your dan course (or at least most of them, like Jinjin does). You can ask your friends to map some of the maps too.

It's definitely possible though.

Someone in the Malody community created their own entire dan course with entirely their maps.
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
Yeah i'll try see what i do. I just wanna know if people would actually be interested in this or not
UltraBlack
About the clear % i definitely disagree with something higher than 96, take underjoy dans as examples. 96 or lower makes it way more like an achievement than actually 97 since it just feels like "oh i got it". That is a thing that i like on the ln regular. That is just my opinion though
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
yeah that's something i thought about as well. I had the idea of v2 95 but maybe 96 is just fine. I'm still trying to get ideas after all. I might just stick to 96 though
Kaaruumii
i wish we had more MA to PA focused dans instead of the usual 96% dans because accuracy is fun :D you do you tho (ik that i can just play any lower dan and set goals for myself but eh)
midgy

Znow wrote:

yeah that's something i thought about as well. I had the idea of v2 95 but maybe 96 is just fine. I'm still trying to get ideas after all. I might just stick to 96 though
v2 is actually a really good idea but i would keep it as 96% (tbh i would increase it to 97% but noobs will cry so 96% is fine)
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
Hm i do think that rewarding people who can play everything is good. it forces people to try new things at least that’s my hope… V2 96 could be good or V1 97.50% if we do this. I know that this’ll make it more of “oh cool” instead of “I JUST DID IT” or hell maybe it might make the dans more about being able to play all the songs properly instead of high acc 3/4 songs. I’ll try get more opinions on this and hopefully more people see this forum
YyottaCat
BTW if this project actually goes somewhere then you can use all my maps without asking.

[quote=“Znow”]
Hm i do think that rewarding people who can play everything is good. it forces people to try new things at least that’s my hope… V2 96 could be good or V1 97.50% if we do this. I know that this’ll make it more of “oh cool” instead of “I JUST DID IT” or hell maybe it might make the dans more about being able to play all the songs properly instead of high acc 3/4 songs. I’ll try get more opinions on this and hopefully more people see this forum
[/quote]

90% of the playerbase can’t play everything at the same level. For example I absolutely suck at 4K chordjacks. There’s also an example of someone clearing gamma dan with a B on Break.
Gamesnake7
My 2 cents here: make the 4-5 maps' skillsets not in an order (just like Shoegazer's 4K dans), probably helps on different ways of training stamina :troll:
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy

YyottaCat wrote:

BTW if this project actually goes somewhere then you can use all my maps without asking.

thank you so much! What are your thoughts on the acc? I asked a friend about v1 96/97.50 or v2 96. They weren’t sure so i’ll try ask more people today.

[quote="Gamesnake7"]My 2 cents here: make the 4-5 maps' skillsets not in an order (just like Shoegazer's 4K dans), probably helps on different ways of training stamina :troll:
Hm yeah I could try that I had an idea of starting from the most stamina draining to least stamina draining but maybe just doing least stamina draining to most stamina draining could help?
UltraBlack
96 v2 sounds good, for manip i believe it would be a hell, making it way hard to clear but maybe more fear?
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
yeah that sounds good. I'll get more feedback tho. V1 97.50% also makes manip less rewarding but maybe too high? I'll check

Proposal I thought of a few minutes after writing this:

Allow for v1 and v2 passes. You can do both but only 1 is required.
v2 96%
v1 97.50%

Not sure if they're as hard but I think they might be similar. I'll need to check with how both systems work but I think this could favor both v1 and v2 players.
Gamesnake7

Znow wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

thank you so much! What are your thoughts on the acc? I asked a friend about v1 96/97.50 or v2 96. They weren’t sure so i’ll try ask more people today.

[quote="Gamesnake7"]My 2 cents here: make the 4-5 maps' skillsets not in an order (just like Shoegazer's 4K dans), probably helps on different ways of training stamina :troll:
Hm yeah I could try that I had an idea of starting from the most stamina draining to least stamina draining but maybe just doing least stamina draining to most stamina draining could help?
Maybe do both ig
YyottaCat
V1 97.5 is probably too high. V2 96 is good though. BTW LN difficulties should be 1 UJ dan higher than regular.

For the 5 maps I suggest to have 1 regular technical, 1 regular stamina, 1 LN release/technical, 1 LN inverse, and 1 hybrid (general).

I think these are the most representative of a player’s skill level and the least rewarding for manipulation.
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy
This could be good. I'd need to have more terminology with LNs as i'm not 100% good with them. I want to add a jack/speed map so maybe i can combine them into 1 song? If we do 5 songs then we get 3 rice and 2 LNs maybe?
pofnkul
my 2 cents

make clear condition 97% with score v2. any lower is prolly too cheesable
make it less of a dan and more like a packs of maps. stamina is way too needed for dans
maybe don't force all the different types of maps into one dan?
maybe just don't have dans in the first place xd
Topic Starter
ElzeFanBoy

pofnkul wrote:

my 2 cents

make clear condition 97% with score v2. any lower is prolly too cheesable
make it less of a dan and more like a packs of maps. stamina is way too needed for dans
maybe don't force all the different types of maps into one dan?
maybe just don't have dans in the first place xd
1. That could work
2. Stamina is still gonna be a factor when it comes to this. I think that's a good thing. I plan to make packs when I get more experience but stamina being needed for dans is a good thing in my opinion and it allows you to push for harder things and gives you the power to do harder things for longer periods without harm.
3. Well I want it to be an evaluation of a player and what they are capable of so I do want there to be things that are focused upon.
4. eh yeah maybe, i just wanna do this to help people improve and show them what they need to work on more. that's my hope at least
show more