forum

Reccomend me some (free) DAWs

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Bluecord6411
i wanna make some music, but all i have is musescore (notation software) and audacity (essentialy useless)
and i have no idea what DAW to use so please reccomend me some (preferably free)
HoosierTransfer

Bluecord6411 wrote:

i wanna make some music, but all i have is musescore (notation software) and audacity (essentialy useless)
and i have no idea what DAW to use so please reccomend me some (preferably free)
i use audacity
roufou
reaper or lmms come to mind

(I think lmms is the safer choice in terms of licenses)
ClevelandsMyBro
Hello, i do music production in my spare time as well. anyways, for free DAW's i suggest either Tracktion Waveform free or Cakewalk.

Personally i've been using Waveform free for ~4 months now. it's been nothing but great. Oh and it works on linux (w/o wine). Now yes there is a paid version but afaik it's just for additional features and plugins. It should be fine as there are free alternative plugins scattered around the webz anyways. Try the free version and if you like it then you can upgrade easily.

If the idea of seperated version doesn't interest you then maybe try Cakewalk. The full package is 100% free. People been saying it's the best free DAW on the market. Big downside to it is that you would have to install BandLab Manager for it to work making updating a huge pain... Well coming from experience at least.

Bonus: There is LMMS. I have never tried it yet but i heard it's good yet have a steep learning curve. so yeah.
Neigdoig
All of the DAW's mentioned (with exception to LMMS) are all proprietary projects. LMMS and Ardour are the standard in open-source DAW production. I've also tried my hand at ZRhythm, but I don't know that much just yet.
akmal2232232123
OpenMPT
Stomiks
Just use audacity
179bpm
i use bandlab mainly to experiment with stuff
her everything
i use soundtrap. it's a nice online freemium software. it's easier and i made lots of songs there

for example i made that recently:

Neigdoig

Stomiks wrote:

Just use audacity
Audacity is MusE Group spyware. I'd recommend avoiding it, or using an earlier version than 3.2 (if memory serves right, it will be edited if the information is incorrect).
Ryu Sei
Audacity isn't even DAW at the first place, unless someone proved me wrong.

Old version of REAPER (0.999) can do. I forgot there is that one 8-bit DAW that is unnecessarily complex (or was it a sequencer?)
Stomiks

Neigdoig wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Just use audacity
Audacity is MusE Group spyware. I'd recommend avoiding it, or using an earlier version than 3.2 (if memory serves right, it will be edited if the information is incorrect).
Oh sorry never knew that.
MrMcMikey22

Neigdoig wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Just use audacity
wait wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut??? now I gotta uninstall this hehhhhhh?????
her everything

Neigdoig wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Just use audacity
Isn’t that only for the website one? Cuz I downloaded it through Microsoft store.
Neigdoig

Aireunaeus wrote:

Neigdoig wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Just use audacity
Isn’t that only for the website one? Cuz I downloaded it through Microsoft store.
You didn't know there's spyware in the software itself too? I did, and stayed the heck away from the latest version.
her everything

Neigdoig wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

Neigdoig wrote:

Stomiks wrote:

Just use audacity
You didn't know there's spyware in the software itself too? I did, and stayed the heck away from the latest version.
of course i did know there was spyware. but i can't use to edit sound without audacity and i can't find any other applications similar to audacity
nominomu
i use SoundBridge, its a free, simple DAW with all the basic functions like audio and MIDI editing, arranging, and mixing. it comes with stock effect plugins, but no stock instruments, so you'll have to use a 3rd-party plugin (free options include Vital and Spitfire LABS)
Neigdoig
Vital is partially Open-Source, so Vitalium would be a good alternative (It's a fork of Vital's source code).

Aireunaeus wrote:

of course i did know there was spyware. but i can't use to edit sound without audacity and i can't find any other application similar to audacity
AFAIK, you could use Audacium, which is a fork of Audacity. Or, you could use an older version of Audacity (Older than 1.3.2 iirc).
her everything

Neigdoig wrote:

Aireunaeus wrote:

of course i did know there was spyware. but i can't use to edit sound without audacity and i can't find any other application similar to audacity
AFAIK, you could use Audacium, which is a fork of Audacity. Or, you could use an older version of Audacity (Older than 1.3.2 iirc).
Ooh nice. Audacium has a similar name like Chromium. But imma give it a Try
_Reset
technically every daw is free with a torrent

im joking dont do this
her everything

Res_ett wrote:

technically every daw is free with a torrent
hmmmm....
show more