forum

How many of you play one or more instruments?

posted
Total Posts

How many instruments do you play?

50.88%
28.07%
8.77%
5.26%
5+
7.02%
Total votes: 57
show more
Tenshi-nyan
I used to play some E-Bass... not very good, but whatever...
Topic Starter
ddrXero64

rust45 wrote:

I voted 1 but I suppose I should've said 2 as I used to play trumpet. But now I play Euphonium, and my lips are much more suited for it than trumpet.
You mean like the Sousaphone? Sick, haha, I tried it and it was epic. And I'm really short, so it was a challenge just to hold it up let alone play it xD

those wrote:

If one can play one brass instrument, he/she can play another.
Very true, but if someone jumped from French Horn to Tuba I'd give it credit as another instrument because so much more breathing and lip skills need to be learned, it feels like a totally different instrument. I also think Trombone is different and should considered so, the only real brass instrument that uses just slide.

Also, I forgot to put option 0. So....I feel like an idiot lol
Tenshi
Well I used to play piano decently, and I play the keyboard instruments in my school band (xylophone, marimba, etc.), so I don't know whether that counts as one or two instruments.

Also, shouldn't the title say "How many of you play one or more instruments?" or something like that?
rust45

ddrXero64 wrote:

You mean like the Sousaphone? Sick, haha, I tried it and it was epic. And I'm really short, so it was a challenge just to hold it up let alone play it xD
Euphonium != Sousaphone It's kinda a mini Tuba, it's in about the same range as trombone and has a slightly darker tone.

those wrote:

If one can play one brass instrument, he/she can play another.
Not really true, no way I can handle a trombone slide (well without practice) and my lips are way too big for a french horn.
Besides, the same can be said about reed instruments.
Ikillforpies
i play the piano and the ciarnet =D
I might quit Ciarnet and just do piano only do.
Doomsday
I play(ed) Trombone and piano. I'm looking into working on my piano skill though, I really enjoyed that.
OzzyOzrock
Bad at guitar, but pro at DRUMS
Derekku
Did just about everything percussion-related in junior high and high school (i.e. six years total). Symphonic band included snare drum, bass drum, timpani, keyboard instruments like the xylophone, marimba, and vibraphone, chimes (tubular bells), and dozens of different auxiliary instruments, of course. In marching band, I mostly did bass and snare drum. Also, I can play drumset, but I'm not very good/confident with it.

As for Piano: nope.avi

As for music reading: I guess I was decent with it when I did stuff like the xylophone/marimba, but not well enough to easily sightread. However, I had amazing sightreading skills when playing snare drum. 8-)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I played the Trumpet for a few months in 6th grade. However, I had braces at the time so it was a bit hard to learn/play. I tried a couple other wind instruments afterward, but failed. Then, I tried drums and found my calling~
Mogsy
Not including doubles of the same instrument, I suppose.

I am very confident on woodwinds, with clarinets being my main family (major being the standard B flat, followed by alto). Following that are doubles reeds (primarily oboe), saxophone (primarily soprano), recorder (primarily tenor), and flute. I can also play xylophone/marimba/tubular bells. things can change instrumentally in two years, huh verterans

I know the range and capabilities and tone colours of most other standard orchestra instruments, though, which is a great thing granted the fact that I'm a music composition major. As far as reading music, lolololoffuckingcourse
Jarby
I was totally pro at the recorder in late primary school. I played the clarinet for a few years after that, but I lost interest for a number of reasons that I won't get into here. I have an electric bass that I can play a bit on as well; I'm not proficient at all, but my music teacher is going to help me because practical performance is a major part of my assessment this year. Finally, I sometimes use keyboards for writing songs when I'm in that sort of mood since the layout of the keys can often make certain aspects of composition easier for me, but I never bothered to really learn any complete songs.

I'd be pretty ashamed of myself if I couldn't even read sheet music after all of that. The basics were drilled into me before I even starting playing the recorder. I never thought of it as difficult or even much of a skill, but I'm still learning.
Topic Starter
ddrXero64

Tenshi wrote:

Well I used to play piano decently, and I play the keyboard instruments in my school band (xylophone, marimba, etc.), so I don't know whether that counts as one or two instruments.

Also, shouldn't the title say "How many of you play one or more instruments?" or something like that?
I consider them two, using mallets isn't the same as using your hand and fingers, they're more on the drum side but with more pitches. Chords aren't usually used either.

And you're right. Fixed.

rust45 wrote:

Euphonium != Sousaphone It's kinda a mini Tuba, it's in about the same range as trombone and has a slightly darker tone.
Well I said Sousaphone because though they are the same, the Sousaphone I believe is the marching one. The one that looks like it's wrapped around you with the horn above your head. I tried that, it was a white one, not a one you'd put on one of those tuba stands or whatever. It was pretty big for my size lol. I don't have the breath for Tuba yet, or at least the lung control. My embouchure (lip formation) is pretty good, the tone isn't too bad for me.

As for the comments about sheet music reading and whatnot, I personally learned to read music faster than actually playing it. By the time my playing skills caught up, I was able to sightread well, especially jazz, which is pretty difficult. There are times I mess up, but because my physical skills can't keep up. I did well in Vocal Sight Reading (reading music and matching pitches with your voice, can get pretty intense) and I passed my Music Theory AP. I've always done well with composition and reading music, improving my skills in playing has always been a slow process for me.
awp
First #3

Primarily play drums, but also know how to play keyboard/piano and am okay at bass. Can play bass but not guitar because I've never learned chords which luckily doesn't really come into play with the Bass guitar. And is probably the reason I like it more, because I find it more accessible.

I can play all sorts of percussion instruments but I'm just filing them all under drums.

Used to play the baritone in high school but that doesn't count because I don't remember/played it in highschool (almost a decade ago)
rust45

ddrXero64 wrote:

Well I said Sousaphone because though they are the same, the Sousaphone I believe is the marching one.
The Sousaphone is the marching equivalent of the tuba, not euphonium. The marching equivalent of euphonium would be a marching baritone, which is a trumpet with muscles.
mathexpert
play the piano, its really fun especially when i play anime music and touhou music. :)
Randy96
Alto Saxophone baby
Galkan
Used to play Harmonica few years ago, but I'm not really sure if I could play good again now :3
Remco32
I play the electric guitar and I still need to get myself a keyboard. Any suggestions on a keyboard for cheap? I don't want to spend much on a instrument I'm not going to main.
Rokodo

Remco32 wrote:

I play the electric guitar and I still need to get myself a keyboard. Any suggestions on a keyboard for cheap? I don't want to spend much on a instrument I'm not going to main.
Any used/refurbished Casio should do the trick. *Speaking from personal experience, used to play piano/keyboard.*
Topic Starter
ddrXero64

rust45 wrote:

ddrXero64 wrote:

Well I said Sousaphone because though they are the same, the Sousaphone I believe is the marching one.
The Sousaphone is the marching equivalent of the tuba, not euphonium. The marching equivalent of euphonium would be a marching baritone, which is a trumpet with muscles.
Oh sheet, you're right. Euhonium=Baritone Horn. I played that too, but I preferred tuba. Wow though, I fudged up on that one. Complete misunderstanding in my head, my bad.

But yea, Euphonium isn't too bad at all, though I've never seen it have big parts. The chorus teacher's husband was the conductor for the UMass Amherst Marching Band though, pretty well known (he passed away unexpectedly last year from an unknown cause, sudden heart failure). He played Tuba, and he played some of the first ever composed Tuba Solos. It's amazing to see someone play a tuba like a flute with melodies, it's truly something you should see at least once in your lifetime if you're into music.
SilentKiller
I can play guitar and piano.
Pizzicato
I play the guitar.
Piano seems fun but i cant seem to control both hands while playing it ;_;
Athyrionjh
where is the "Well I can just hit the piano with my head so that it makes scary sounds" - Option?

Well I can't play any instrument :(
Topic Starter
ddrXero64

Athyrionjh wrote:

where is the "Well I can just hit the piano with my head so that it makes scary sounds" - Option?

Well I can't play any instrument :(
My idiot self forgot to put 0, and I didn't want to reset the votes. So...my bad. lol
Backfire
I play guitar and drums. Shittily.
OzzyOzrock

Athyrionjh wrote:

This made me legitimately lol
Xyrenus
starting with play the guitar D:
Hamuko
Flute.
I suck but can do some stuff with it.
D33d
I'm going to exaggerate by saying five and more. I only really play the trombone these days, as it's what makes me fairly substantial money for the amount of work that I do. I had started to play it since I was ten, and the guitar at around the same time or earlier. I haven't touched the guitar properly in over a year, as I just don't feel like playing it. I can play it reasonably well.

I've also gone through phases of teaching myself the piano and drums; both of which I could play if I put my mind to it. More recently, I'd borrowed somebody's trumpet for a while, which I was starting to get good at until I had to give it back. I've also just got my hands on a really old, Czech made valve trombone, which I'd polished and lubed to a decent state of repair. It plays surprisingly well and I've taken a shine to the thing.

I've been also meaning to rent a cello for ages, but I'd never got around to it. I also want to be a boss by learning the saxophone, because my lips aren't abused enough as they are.

Teta, does this "stuff" involve band camp in any way?
noneed
I play heartbreakingly the triangle
Nashmun
I've been playing drums for ~8-9 years and I started playing accordion few years ago... So let's say I can play both of them :D
Bunnrei
ME PLAY HARMONICA
Out Of Reach
I've played the saxophone for about 3 years now.. ^^
thelewa
I used to play the drums for a few years and then I started osu and didn't have time to do anything else than play osu so I don't play the drums anymore except very occasionally.

And then I was a bear
Stagione
Trumpet -> Euphonium -> Trombone

Can also play alto sax
roleykatsu
Trombone, Tenor Sax, Baritone Sax, a bit of percussion, and a bit of piano.

Trombone is my forte, however
WhoAteFred
Skinny Tuba Player without the upper body strength to even hold it for extended periods of time. Then again, this was, like 4 years ago. To be honest, I don't think I've gotten any stronger.