forum

Losu! | Lost Beatmap Archive Project

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Hello! Welcome to Losu!

What is it?

This is a project where I attempt to collect and recover as many beatmaps as I can. Many projects like this one existed before, but what makes this one different is that it continues to get weekly updates! So far, around 1000 maps can be found in the spreadsheet.

The Spreadsheet and Maps:
It contains all the beatmaps that have been found, both those which are salvageable and unsalvageable. Some beatmaps might also have missing information because of the way they were found.
If you know something about any of these that we potentially don't, let us know by messaging me or joining the discord linked below. And in case you have any sort of maps like these, please let us know as well!

Spreasheet:. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aJGUCGG7bIG3H8rvjQ-tykwuxWpPOEnp/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=104609003900696048674&rtpof=true&sd=true

Would recommend downloading the spreadsheet as google doesn't like colour... xp

Maps: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1t0CI3U8FwYB8OYafbBL6JuKZ7qwggY1f?usp=share_link

Inspiration:
Basically, I really like exploring old stuff on the internet, and when I got into osu! I decided to explore its thread, going from topic number 1 onwards. During that time, I discovered how much the site evolved and how much stuff was also lost in the process. One of which was beatmaps. Before a beatmap listing on this site existed, there was another in which they were uploaded. Unfortunately, that site no longer exists, so, all the non-ranked maps from there are forever gone in their original form...

OR ARE THEY??
Well, some still survive in some way. Some are still fully available through either their thread posts on alternate sources, some have their .osu files still downloadable, while others are still lost.

Since then, I've also been keeping track of graveyarded or deleted beatmaps, as well as Lost difficulties, unused storyboards and unsubmitted maps in mapsets, a lot of stuff basically. Both as ancient as the game itself, or some that are more recent as well.

Anyways, as much as people probably don't care about these beatmaps, either for being old, unfinished, shitpost or the fact that they don't give any pp, I find them really charming and some are honestly quite cool, so, that's why I'm making this (and also because I'm super bored!!)

Biggest Contributors:
zachub03 - Responsible for more than half of the guest maps and graveyarded mapsets

vYper2011 - Responsible for reviving many graveyarded mapsets

FlagFlayer, Natteke, abraker - Collectors and providers of many deleted beatmaps

Socials:
To make this more entertaining, I've decided to make a discord server for this server. Why exactly? Well, I can't do all of this alone, so, anyone who wants to help recover these beatmaps can help out!

Invite: https://discord.gg/QEfb7g6Ezu

Warning: Features in the server haven't fully been finished yet!

Wanna see others play and show how good you play some of these maps? Feel free to submit replays for our YouTube channel:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCqZpPers_fx1ncC_8BKTOsQ

Warning! Some earlier posts are outdated with what I said as the project changed goals from remapping beatmaps to archiving them!

Some maps contain Explicit content and there isn't any filters yet for them, so be careful!

Also, for any mappers who want their maps removed from the spread, please contact me and ill do so, cuz maps are probably graveyarded/deleted for a reason

Lastly, if the maps ask for an update, it usually messes them up because of them being deleted or having different mp3 files, so don't update them!

That's all,
Thanks for reading!
Farfocele
That's so cool!
Topic Starter
Kurboh

Farfocele wrote:

That's so cool!
Thank youuu!
Topic Starter
Kurboh
First Restored map complete!
Retimed to fit the mp3 file and added a background video as it was the meta of old osu! mapping
Croove - Outlaw from DJMAX, mapped by Gchxp, made in September 27th 2007

Edit: The next two maps have awful, unplayable timings, so, will probably end up editing the maps just a bit, and keep the layout the same, is that fine?

Edit2: Made a video to show the map
https://youtu.be/t3g7Y6zrwEo
Topic Starter
Kurboh
New link where you'll have access to the maps + spreadsheet
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15hCETfCFeOtGMP79C5Fxal1P5kwE8TEG?usp=sharing

Next two maps:
Hare Hare Yukai (intro from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya), map by Raine, made on September 27th 2007
- retimed the entire map, but with the same idea for patterns + additional video added
Hyde - COUNTDOWN (song from Ouendan 2), map by ZZT the Fifth, made on September 28th 2007
- timing made to fit the new mp3 file, additional background added

Next is Chocolate Rain + 3 maps found with no edits necessary :3

One more additional question (should've thought of this earlier, but) should I edit these maps in the 2007 editor? It would be good because the songs will maintain the editor version they were in (but it would take some time to get used to editing there, but if these ppl in 2007 could do it, then so can I (maybe -w-))
Farfocele
It's a shame the dragonforce map is nonexistant ):

We need a 2007/2008 player with their original computer here NOW
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Hm, I just realised that I never explained what each label means
I'll do it here for now:
Full - The Full map has been found, with the .osu, audio (and potentially other) files (Usually found through sources that aren't from peppy's old site)
.osu - The map can be salvaged to include other files (For maps with invalid download links through peppy's site, but someone in the forum provided a download for when they usually fix stuff in the map)
Missing - the only source for the map is the invalid invite through peppy's old site (only salvageable if anyone has the map still downloaded)
Nonexistent - maps that were only mentioned that they were in development, but never had any links of them posted (so, only the creator of the beatmap might have it)

Farfocele wrote:

It's a shame the dragonforce map is nonexistant ):

We need a 2007/2008 player with their original computer here NOW
So yeaaa, it probably wasn't finished, from the forum post the creator made, he said it was only halfway done
Still tho, who knows if he uploaded it, just don't have any proof it was uploaded to peppy.chigau.com
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Four more beatmaps are now available!

SOME WERE A PAIN TO REMAP OR PLAY >_>

What was done:
Chocolate Rain - Fully remapped because it was unplayable
Pokemon 2BA Master - Beats were snapped to the grid with minimal changes made(the original map didn't even have a set BPM o_o)
Vesuvius - Minimal changes made (Overall, the most well-made map of these 4)
Rainbow in the Dark (OH GOD) - Beatmap was fully redone (and it's not even good still...)

Hopefully, they aren't too horrible!

Also, the spreadsheet has been updated with more finds.

Anyways, next question to ask, Leaderboards when? :p
Topic Starter
Kurboh
UPDATE,
I contacted peppy in case he has saved up any of the old beatmaps, he said he has GOT THEM ALL!
I'm so happy that this project is going this well and that we can finally showcase all of these beatmaps ^^

Anyways, I'll put them all in the Google disk soon, but for now, I'll provide a link with them all that he sent me

TAKE A LOOK! :D
The link
Happy April fools :p
Tho I honestly should contact him eventually ngl

Anyways, the next step of the project I'm thinking about is potentially making a leaderboard for these beatmaps.
What do you think?
Thanks for reading ^^
Farfocele

Kurboh wrote:

UPDATE,
I contacted peppy in case he has saved up any of the old beatmaps, he said he has GOT THEM ALL!
I'm so happy that this project is going this well and that we can finally showcase all of these beatmaps ^^

Anyways, I'll put them all in the Google disk soon, but for now, I'll provide a link with them all that he sent me

The link

Anyways, the next step of the project I'm thinking about is potentially making a leaderboard for these beatmaps.
What do you think?
Thanks for reading ^^
Damn, he does

he really does
late april fools
- Marco -

Kurboh wrote:

UPDATE,

The link

What do you think?
Thanks for reading ^^

It would be cool to have a leaderboard of some sort. GL on the project <3

Man i got April fool'd the 3rd of April ;__;
clayton
awesome work
Topic Starter
Kurboh
UPDATE
The first post has now been remade
Farfocele
I cannot let this die.
Topic Starter
Kurboh

Farfocele wrote:

I cannot let this die.
Oh, you still care? Nice to hear

Don't worry, I'll get back into it, gonna have another approach to it, suggested by someone else about how this should primarily be beatmap preservation instead of recreation.

Anyways, an update for this thread might take some time tho, but expect something in at least a week
Topic Starter
Kurboh
No update happened a week after my last post in the end, how sad...
Anyways,
I'm happy to announce that the first pack is now finally done!

It includes 20 beatmaps made between September and October of 2007 which haven't been posted on the beatmap listing
Some of the songs are: What's Up, Heaven, Jumpin Jack Flash and Bad Boy
Maps have only been altered in a few ways: audio file names, timings to fit the new audio files and no BGs
The rest is all original!
I decided that the remakes/fixes of maps I made before aren't gonna be available on the Google Disk anymore, instead, on the discord server.
As for additional updates to the thread, I'll make those soon.

Now, what do you think? Which one would you rate if you were able to back in 2007? I'd personally give a chance to the NicoNicoDouga map, as well as Outlaw and Countdown :p

Thanks For Reading!!
clayton
will check em out soon, thanks for the effort here, super cool stuff. I remember browsing old forum posts and coming across these in a similar way but you're going the extra mile =)
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Updated the spreadsheet (well, the way it's presented)
Now I don't have to add maps from the oldest to the newest + maps can be downloaded individually
Also, added 2 more maps, to demonstrate alternate difficulties of maps
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Finally, we have the first map to be added here that isn't in the osu standard game mode!
A Taiko difficulty is available for the map La Di Da. It's even got its own background :O

Anyways, in case you know about any map with bonus difficulties that aren't a part of ranked mapsets, please let me know

Meanwhile, I'll be gone for a bit again because I wanna commit factory settings on my laptop
DESTRUCTION TIME!
Topic Starter
Kurboh
New Update, a lot more GDs have now been added!

Now there's a difficulty for the third osu game mode: Catch The Beat
Other than that, I also found a new type of map, one with an unused storyboard! (an unfinished one but it seems to have had a lot of potential for it)
And if you notice for some maps, there are multiple GD Mappers for one map, so I combined their maps for downloads but wrote them in separate rows on the spreadsheet

Lastly, I wanna give the biggest thanks to zachub03 for his contributions to the project, for helping to search threads and find many bonus difficulties. You're awesome! <3
Rigbyuis
it's this thread for posting links of old maps and trying to recover them?i'm interested in old maps stuff and Lost media
Topic Starter
Kurboh

Rigbyuis wrote:

it's this thread for posting links of old maps and trying to recover them?i'm interested in old maps stuff and Lost media
Yea, it is. Nice that you're interested in that sort of stuff ^^
Satoko Hojo
lost media maps includes mania or other mods?
Topic Starter
Kurboh

Satoko Hojo wrote:

lost media maps includes mania or other mods?
Of course, so far we've found a bunch of taiko maps and a ctb map, it's not just osu standard
Haven't found any mania maps yet, but it's mostly because we've been looking at maps up to 2012 so far, once someone takes a look at newer maps, I be someone find/send something from mania as well :p
Topic Starter
Kurboh
Update again
More maps added, thanks to other mappers supplying interesting beatmaps for you all to try out
After bothering them about it in messages
Also, added a table for different versions of osu and one for the current helpers for Losu
Thanks everyone, even if it was just one map, I still appreciate it a lot!
show more