forum

OT Spelling Bee [Round 5]

posted
Total Posts
show more
Julian_Kaiser
now where the problem lies is,
which variant of english text-to-speech engine would you be using?

(US)English, (Canada)English (UK)English, (India)English, (Kenya)English, (Australia)English or which one?
With US English being the most disoriented from the rest, it would make sense to refrain from the use of US speech engines as the most of us are not from the US.
US pronounces anti as antai, fungi as fungai, etc. whereas most countries pronounce it more similarly to how those words are spelt.
WitherMite
US spelling is different too.
Julian_Kaiser
suppose Yyotta picks up a word.

US participant: "center"
anyone from outside US: "centre"

In such cases, the US participant would be marked wrong for their altered way of spelling.
Scyla
Color or colour
ghoulybits

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

In such cases, the US participant would be marked wrong for their altered way of spelling.
The simple solution to that is to just allow any spelling of a word that is considered "correct" by dictionaries. Using your example, both center and centre could be considered valid answers when given a word pronounced like /ˈsen(t)ər/.
Manishh
I am not from U.S. but i stand for "center"
Tho centre look cooler
Julian_Kaiser

Manishh wrote:

If you've been using the US way of spelling instead of the standardised spelling, your teachers should be deducting your marks.
z0z
i'll watch the competition
Topic Starter
YyottaCat
I've been in the US for too long to know other pronounciations apparently. I will try to pick words that may have multiple spellings but sound the same (so no more diarrhea).
Manishh

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Manishh wrote:

If you've been using the US way of spelling instead of the standardized spelling, your teachers should be deducting your marks.
I get full marks in grammar every test, tho I still struggle with sentence making
[ Rynn ]

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

for some reason i feel more comfortable using center
ClevelandsMyBro
Manishh

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

That's all yyotta fault then
We should kick him from this competition
Do you agree?
Julian_Kaiser

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

*uses correct original spelling,

gets labelled english spy.
100% logical.
ghoulybits

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
Did you... not get the joke?
Manishh

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
neh he dont have good humour
NotRaffi

Manishh wrote:

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
neh he dont have good humour
it's pretty funny wdym
NotRaffi
nah i quoted the wrong one damn
Manishh
its not pretty funny

its like its smile funny not laugh funny

its like 36% smile funny
z0z

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Do you agree?
yyotta is female

we should count both ways as correct as to not favor a region
Julian_Kaiser

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
bold of you to assume that.
[ Rynn ]

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Do you agree?
both are correct. it depends on what you're more comfortable with honestly.
z0z
the differences in spelling and pronunciation make each variation in english called a dialect
ClevelandsMyBro
julian gets the whoosh award. i dont know what happened to manish but he fell off big time.
Topic Starter
YyottaCat
Starting today after I get home.

I'm thinking of splitting it into 20 days with 10 words per day.
ShinRun
Now the one problem with this event is how would you know if someone is cheating
Topic Starter
YyottaCat

ShinRun wrote:

Now the one problem with this event is how would you know if someone is cheating
This is just for fun so there are no awards and I'm just going to assume that nobody cheats. If somebody does cheat then they will be killed.
Manishh

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
Let me explain

So in that comic you can see that the british and A another country in war, probably america? Or you can say english people, white people are at war and as you know, british people spell rumor with an 'U' "Romour" . So the commander was smart, seeing his british spelling tell him that he is a spy.

Its funny because its a stupid joke
Manishh

YyottaCat wrote:

ShinRun wrote:

This is just for fun so there are no awards and I'm just going to assume that nobody cheats. If somebody does cheat then they will be killed.
If I win you will be my cat for 1 week
Peak
holy center
ShinRun

Manishh wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

ShinRun wrote:

Yeah mate Yyotta is going to stab you
Manishh

ShinRun wrote:

Manishh wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

ShinRun wrote:

A good Cat will never do that
ShinRun

Manishh wrote:

ShinRun wrote:

Manishh wrote:

YyottaCat wrote:

ShinRun wrote:

A good Cat will never do that
Well Yyotta isn’t a good cat

Shit she’s not even a cat, she’s a demon
Manishh
Demon cat?

You can't just say that she isn't good just because she is a demon bro, that's a bad thing to say about someone
Julian_Kaiser

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
Let me explain

So in that comic you can see that the british and A another country in war, probably america? Or you can say english people, white people are at war and as you know, british people spell rumor with an 'U' "Romour" . So the commander was smart, seeing his british spelling tell him that he is a spy.

I understood the meme,
my reply was adding to how illogical it would sound if you actually label someone as "English" when he uses the spelling that is used outside of the US.
I recall another meme where someone was labelled "Canadian" for using the pronunciation "Zed" instead of "zee"
Manishh

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
Let me explain

I understood the meme,
my reply was adding to how illogical it would sound if you actually label someone as "English" when he uses the spelling that is used outside of the US.
I recall another meme where someone was labelled "Canadian" for using the pronunciation "Zed" instead of "zee"
You dont care about logic in a meme sir
Julian_Kaiser

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
Let me explain

I understood the meme,
You were only thinking inside the prisonous box of Americanism. I am outside the box.
Cerno
fucking hell trim ur fucking quotes ffs
ghoulybits

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

Manishh wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ghoulybits wrote:

Julian_Kaiser wrote:

ClevelandsMyBro wrote:

100% logical.
Let me explain

I understood the meme,
You were only thinking inside the prisonous box of Americanism. I am outside the box.

It's not that deep
z0z
it's just a few letter difference, just accept either spelling
show more