forum

The Mental Game of osu!

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Tricktail
I'm currently doing research on nuances and techniques from various different fields outside of osu! (e.g sports, poker, studying) to try and help players understand how they should approach the various mental aspects of improvement/thinking.

For example, one topic I would like to cover is how one should take a mental approach towards a short play session for efficiency and that of a longer session to maintain focus without losing effectiveness. I also want to discuss about analogies and techniques to help conceptualize improvement.

My questions for you guys are:
1. Would this kind of guide be interesting to read or would it be repetitive/unoriginal?
2. Which mental aspect of osu! do you struggle with the most and what is your though process behind tackling it?
3. What do you think should be covered in the guide?
Earthquake
brb gonna get my doctorate in osu gaming

in all serious maybe it would be good, but make sure it's not already on like osu!university or something.

One mental aspect I struggle with is just not even taking the effort to read after a certain time, like an hour. I don't feel like playing seriously anymore

I think what should be covered is things on mindblock, possibly exercises you can do to refresh your mind or something. Instead of just root causes we can do things to prevent it
Topic Starter
Tricktail
Thanks for the input :D

Yeah, it's a bit difficult not to overlap with osu! uni considering the great content which they put out haha

I'll talk about mind block yeah and discuss how to navigate mindblock. Actually, I'll just link the guide so that you guys can take a look at it as a WIP! Probably should have done that. That way I won't have to ramble over here to explain what I want to cover

WIP: https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KE58iRvtBYLl7h-Uw6sl0sP7MD7g0IoNKdgOrydkZU/edit?usp=sharing
Manishh
It will be interesting

I think focus is soo important. If you are focusing on the map then there is soo less chance that you will miss.
How to tackle it? Easy just focus more

How to increase the time of focusing
kujubuo

manishmathur wrote:

It will be interesting

I think focus is soo important. If you are focusing on the map then there is soo less chance that you will miss.

just play low ar because it forces you to focus
Almost

eminegeaslan wrote:

manishmathur wrote:

It will be interesting

That doesn't neccessarily mean you're going to focus all the time nor does it mean you're going to improve your focus either.
XdreamawayX

Tricktail wrote:

My questions for you guys are:
1. Would this kind of guide be interesting to read or would it be repetitive/unoriginal?
If it seems interesting, I would watch/read it no problem, I personally like this kind of stuff.
Even if some of the problems you see here on the G&R forum can be fixed by only playing more.

Tricktail wrote:

2. Which mental aspect of osu! do you struggle with the most and what is your though process behind tackling it?
Earlier this year, I had this idea that if I wasn't getting Fc's I wasn't improving.
Nowadays, I know that improvement comes over time and scores will be set, you just need to be patient and enjoy the ride.
And this mindset gave me a cool bonus, I don't have any problems with shaky aim or heartbeat going too fast now.

I explained my thought process about this in more details in another post, but that's basically it.

Tricktail wrote:

3. What do you think should be covered in the guide?
Building solid fundamentals & consistency

I like to preach about consistency and good fundamentals, even if I'm not the most qualified person to talk about it, I still think it's pretty important having this characteristics

Having more people to spread the word is cool.
Topic Starter
Tricktail

Almost wrote:

eminegeaslan wrote:

manishmathur wrote:

It will be interesting

That doesn't neccessarily mean you're going to focus all the time nor does it mean you're going to improve your focus either.
As mentioned above, low ar doesn't necessarily translate to better focus. You might require more focus if it's something you're not used to playing.

There are different types of focus but the type of focus which people struggle with the most is active focus imo (ie. Consciously forcing yourself to focus).

These are some interesting points which you guys have mentioned and I'll try and go through them!
kujubuo

Almost wrote:

eminegeaslan wrote:

manishmathur wrote:

It will be interesting

eh really i feel like it has improved my focus alot by just playing it few days
Almost

eminegeaslan wrote:

Almost wrote:

eminegeaslan wrote:

manishmathur wrote:

It will be interesting

eh really i feel like it has improved my focus alot by just playing it few days
That's probably because you just started doing it. You don't actually need to focus at all to play low AR (though it does obviously help). You could play something that may need all your focus but someone else could do the same thing while thinking about what to have for dinner and play it even better than you. The only difference is your reading skills. If you really want to improve your focus, you should start meditating or doing some sort of similar practice. It's literally the only thing out there that will improve your focus.
Patatitta
1. Yes, I would like it
2. When I push for ranks or push myself too hard grinding for fcs or something I mindblock easily, I need to take 1 or 2 days of that map or the game entirely and then play more relaxed
3. Probably how to avoid pushing yourself in situations wqhere you get stressed/frustrated easily

(I don't think it matters but I'm main CTB if that affects anything)

edit: fixed typos
AccountWontWork
this is just some input with my experiences

[Keeping the game "fresh"] - You can keep the game "fresh" by either doing things you usually don't do or by taking a break from the game. I in my personal experience felt the game becoming boring and repetitive to the point that my Reason for playing the game itself almost got lost, I managed to solve this issue by playing maps I usually don't play, playing with Mods, trying out a different Skin, making goals, or even crisscrossing my arms when playing...

[How to tell if you are having a bad day or are using the wrong method] - You can usually tell when you are having a bad day easily, some signs that you are having a bad day are you Can't hit patterns you can usually hit, you're reading is worst, you can't stream properly, and mostly likely you will feel uncomfortable when playing. One important thing to add is that having a bad day can last as long as 3 days.

The most common solution to this is by just dealing with it or taking a break, this method usually works like a charm. However if you are still "having a bad day" for more than a week then something is wrong, it is either that you have an injury or sickness that makes you unable to play the game at 100% or that you have a problem your Tapping, Grip, Sens/DPI, etc.

-----

I remember when I punched a mug and it cut my middle finger... I had to make do with single tapping for a week...
Topic Starter
Tricktail

Patatitta wrote:

1. Yes, I would like it
2. When I push for ranks or push myself too hard grinding for fcs or something I mindblock easily, I need to take 1 or 2 days of that map or the game entirely and then play more relaxed
3. Probably how to avoid pushing yourself in sitouations wqhere you get stresed/grustrated easily

(I don't think it matters but I'm main CTB if that affects anything)
owo a lot of people seem to be struggling with mindblock so I'll share my thoughts on it

AccountWontWork wrote:

this is just some input with my experiences

[Keeping the game "fresh"] - You can keep the game "fresh" by either doing things you usually don't do or by taking a break from the game. I in my personal experience felt the game becoming boring and repetitive to the point that my Reason for playing the game itself almost got lost, I managed to solve this issue by playing maps I usually don't play, playing with Mods, trying out a different Skin, making goals, or even crisscrossing my arms when playing...

[How to tell if you are having a bad day or are using the wrong method] - You can usually tell when you are having a bad day easily, some signs that you are having a bad day are you Can't hit patterns you can usually hit, you're reading is worst, you can't stream properly, and mostly likely you will feel uncomfortable when playing. One important thing to add is that having a bad day can last as long as 3 days.

The most common solution to this is by just dealing with it or taking a break, this method usually works like a charm. However if you are still "having a bad day" for more than a week then something is wrong, it is either that you have an injury or sickness that makes you unable to play the game at 100% or that you have a problem your Tapping, Grip, Sens/DPI, etc.

-----

I remember when I punched a mug and it cut my middle finger... I had to make do with single tapping for a week...
Yes, it is very important to keep the game fresh. This is something I'll be talking through in my guide. There are extremely dumb things you can do to keep the game fresh such as no audio or massive cursor or low fps!

Also, how did you end up punching your mug? It sounds kinda yikes