How do you feel about farm shamers

posted
Total Posts
show more
ICanNotDoSlider
Topic Starter
IryN

MrSparklepants wrote:

I was once a DT farm shamer, but then I realized at that time I was also just a nomod jump farmer. Eventually, I realized that DT isn't the only way to farm and as I've gotten higher in rank I realized that everyone farms to a certain degree, it's just that they farm the skill they're best at (like me farming consistency maps/aim maps). In short, right now I think it's actually a smart way to play the game, because why would you want to get a nomod 400PP play that is either some cross-screen jumps or a 5+ minute stream map like Save Me/Through the Fire and Flames when you can just play quick DT aim maps and get the same result since, in theory, you're playing easier patterns faster. However, I will stick to saying being a one-trick is bad.

In conclusion, I think they're pretty immature caring about other's top plays when they probably can't even play the maps they're complaining about. It's your account, your top plays, play what you want, enjoy the game.
I think the reason most farm shamers are complaining is because of what you said, they can't play whatever you're playing which is giving you easy pp or that your skillset is more overweighted than theirs, so either they just can't farm DT or they're some NM supremacist who just hates DT to the core. Either way this is an insanely good take. Thank you for your presence and wisdom.
Manishh
farming isnt bad. You have to farm at some point but its bad if the only thing you do is farm.
And many player cant find difference between full farmer and player who play farm map to progress on a star or to get comfortable with a AR. like i do have many farm maps in my top play but that does not mean the only thing i do is farming
Topic Starter
IryN

manishmathur wrote:

farming isnt bad. You have to farm at some point but its bad if the only thing you do is farm.
And many player cant find difference between full farmer and player who play farm map to progress on a star or to get comfortable with a AR. like i do have many farm maps in my top play but that does not mean the only thing i do is farming
Yeah I think farm maps are a good way to introduce yourself to a skillset since they're arguably far easier to practice than an actual skill based map.
Simon12

ICanNotDoSlider wrote:

We live in a society.
Manishh

IryN wrote:

manishmathur wrote:

Yeah I think farm maps are a good way to introduce yourself to a skillset since they're arguably far easier to practice than an actual skill based map.
yup.

but I see that a lot of time in reviews players just go to find if the top play have farm maps or not and they will decide on that. They dont see what their recent plays is. just accuracy, most played map, and farm maps and will decide on that and some times i feel that i am doing the same
KupcaH
Any gatekeeping/elitism in osu sucks.

Let people enjoy game the way they want.
And on top of that, just because someone's top plays are filled with farm maps, doesn't mean that the players in question cannot play anything else.
Earthquake
I think farming is absolutely fine. I used to be some cranky 600k that thought that not farming was the way to go, but now I legitimately do not care. It's funny how someone's opinion of you can change as soon as your top play goes from some absurd map from 2012 to frickin idk granat or smth.

Even I'm beginning to farm, albeit I'm not going all out.
Fxjlk
I don't like farm maps but farm shaming is pretty cringe.

As long as you can play non farm maps as well it really doesn't matter
Zelzatter Zero

KupcaH wrote:

Any gatekeeping/elitism as a whole sucks.
FTFY

Stil vividly remember how osu got shat on hard by some people in the BMS community, just because it's not a rhythm game in their books. Or Robeats and FNF as well. It made me feel guilty just because it's the game I enjoy and it's just toxic as fuck.
Lilyn

IryN wrote:

Lilyn wrote:

farm maps in top plays are fine for me, it will happen.
farms maps are the gateway to a skill after all, of course you'll get pp from it.

i just dont like if they make farm maps their main map, it sucks.
I think it sucks as well that some people don't give a shit if you have some nice consistency/aim NM play then start absolutely shaming you once you start playing DT then won't even notice if you get a nice score on some random tech map (granted it's not gonna be in your top plays, but I feel like you shouldn't really judge someone's skill just with their top plays), sometimes osu really shows how flawed* humanity is and that kinda sucks.
top plays are the worst metric of skill after all..
Fliwo
lmao i think who but i'd rather not, just ignore what ever they say if anything you're just opening a new door to gain pp (if it's what you're aiming towards) which is great, you already have more experience with no mod consistency so why not do some other mods while you're at it, no need to be accepted from anyone but yourself bud~
nomi1
the stupidest thing about farm shamers is that they complain about farm maps being overweighted and then are surprised that those maps end up in your top plays. I don't really understand how people can only play farm maps (although I have no problem with them doing so), but the only way you're gonna have minimal farm maps in your top plays is if you are dedicated to never playing them and while thats something you can do, its such a stupid and specific ideology to push on to other people.
Manishh

nomi1 wrote:

the stupidest thing about farm shamers is that they complain about farm maps being overweighted and then are surprised that those maps end up in your top plays. I don't really understand how people can only play farm maps (although I have no problem with them doing so), but the only way you're gonna have minimal farm maps in your top plays is if you are dedicated to never playing them and while thats something you can do, its such a stupid and specific ideology to push on to other people.
Because people enjoy playing them. They are easy compare to other maps
AccountWontWork
I think farmers are fine, if that's how they want to play then let them play that way.

I also have my own way of playing osu!, and that is by trying to see how good I can get or how high of a star rating I can pass.
THAT_otaku

IryN wrote:

How do you feel about farm shamers
people can enjoy the game however they want, whether its good for their progress/profile/anything or not. People who put others down for that aren't very nice people. I feel like i've done it in the past but with a greater understanding of the game etc I really wish I didnt if i did, there's no point to it.
7ambda
I still do

... if you ask for a profile review.
luxrayy
i personally don't really care, as long as the person who has that map really does enjoy the map then i won't bother shitting on their plays
Topic Starter
IryN

7ambda wrote:

I still do

... if you ask for a profile review.
wdym? did you happen to forget to quote something?
7ambda
No, that's literally how I feel. You asking me to review your profile implies you're insecure about how you play and thus need to seek validation to confirm your sense of progress. That annoys me so I'll (probably) criticize you if you aren't dressed to impress.

e: Obviously I won't go around bashing randoms' profiles for the hell of it. There's absolutely no point unless you're basically asking for it.

e2: I see it a lot in this forum where people come in asking posters to judge them, but they have nothing really to show for it.
Topic Starter
IryN

7ambda wrote:

No, that's literally how I feel. You asking me to review your profile implies you're insecure about how you play and thus need to seek validation to confirm your sense of progress. That annoys me so I'll (probably) criticize you if you aren't dressed to impress.

e: Obviously I won't go around bashing randoms' profiles for the hell of it. There's absolutely no point unless you're basically asking for it.

e2: I see it a lot in this forum where people come in asking posters to judge them, but they have nothing really to show for it.
i didn't ask anyone to review my profile tho...
never tried to seek validation either. I was just genuinely curious about what people thought about farm shamers. I have no clue what you're on about

Edit: Idk where you got the idea that I wanted you to review my profile. I never wrote it in the post or in the title. Also who told you that I was insecure about my top plays?? What part of my post implied that I was insecure? If you're seeing things either ur tired or you're high, you should probably get some rest.
Joon Yorigami

IryN wrote:

i didn't ask anyone to review my profile tho...
never tried to seek validation either. I was just genuinely curious about what people thought about farm shamers. I have no clue what you're on about

Edit: Idk where you got the idea that I wanted you to review my profile. I never wrote it in the post or in the title. Also who told you that I was insecure about my top plays?? What part of my post implied that I was insecure? If you're seeing things either ur tired or you're high, you should probably get some rest.
I think the "you" he's referring to is not referring you, but rather the people who ask to review profiles.
7ambda
Let's clear this misunderstanding before escalating further. I was responding in terms of everyone (general), not you specifically as an individual. You posted this thread to ask what anyone else thinks of "is it right for group X to shame group Y for doing these actions?"

For me, yes (speaking on behalf of myself based on my viewpoint) if these circumstances happen. Never did I intend to bash YOU for farming during your play sessions. My point is that I MYSELF would criticize those people (NOT YOU YOURSELF) if they were asking for judgement but had nothing to really present from just farming incessantly.

@Yhuan THANK YOU for understanding.
Topic Starter
IryN

7ambda wrote:

Let's clear this misunderstanding before escalating further. I was responding in terms of everyone (general), not you specifically as an individual. You posted this thread to ask what anyone else thinks of "is it right for group X to shame group Y for doing these actions?"

For me, yes (speaking on behalf of myself based on my viewpoint) if these circumstances happen. Never did I intend to bash YOU for farming during your play sessions. My point is that I MYSELF would criticize those people (NOT YOU YOURSELF) if they were asking for judgement but had nothing to really present from just farming incessantly.

@Yhuan THANK YOU for understanding.
Oh i see, you could've exchanged "you" for a different word but yeah that's a good point. The way I see it tho is that it doesn't instantly imply that you're insecure about your top plays, cuz person x might just be trying to improve through constructive criticism and advice from other players. Another thing that might be the reason for profile reviews along the osu!forums being bad is cuz it's just 6 digits rating other 6 digits. It kinda just becomes this method to make your ego bigger instead of a method to improve (it might vary from person to person but that's just the way I see it). I mean like if that 6 digit is a different breed of deranker who knows an ass ton about the game then I guess it's fine but otherwise not really, all you're pretty much doing is gonna be boosting someone else's ego, it might be good, it might be bad, I'm just saying.
Voidedosu
It would probably help if A.) the reviewers actually note good and bad points about the profile they're reviewing, both within and beyond top plays (especially if most/all of their top plays are very recent), and B.) if the ones asking give a little bit more than "here profile, plz review". Maybe point out what you've been doing recently and whether it's good or bad, and ask for ideas on what you're currently strong or weak in playing (and thus either maps to sort of solidify your strength or maps to help shore up your weaknesses).

Also, people getting annoyed at the use of "you" without first confirming what "you" you mean is very silly of you.

To be on-topic, I don't shame farmers. Maps are maps, and farm maps are still maps. The main issue is if farm maps are the only maps you ever play while wanting to have a wider skillset (this isn't a factor if you just love farm maps only and don't care if it makes you a one-trick), which may mean you have to drop the farm maps for non-farm maps for a bit until you can play the farm maps for the skill in question.

Upbeat wrote:

Why should people get defensive over what others play? Like mind your own business it's not hard
If you feel like the game should be played a "certain way" and people aren't playing this "certain way". AN excuse I usually waive if we're talking about players who think Osu is an aim-trainer when it's literally not.

Or you feel like you're being overshadowed by others who are climbing faster than you in rank or skill and feel like denigrating them will somehow make you feel better or upgrade your skill. Which it won't do either of those things.
Almost
Shaming farmers is assuming that farmer are all bad players which doesn't make any sense. Just because you farm doesn't neccessarily make you a bad player.
witchhunted
imho I often underestimate farmers in multi because I used to clap 3digits farmers in osu!mm lmao
But if its not about multi then I just dont care lol
Judor
no one cares at all, like really no one gives a shit about farming
Manishh

Almost wrote:

Shaming farmers is assuming that farmer are all bad players which doesn't make any sense. Just because you farm doesn't neccessarily make you a bad player.
if you are adding all than of course not all farmer are bad but if the only map they play is farm then i can easily say 90% of farmer are bad because their accuracy will be bad and other skills will be suck too.
I have lot of farm map in my top play and have good accuracy but i didnt build my skill by playing farm maps and i doubt that anyone can make their skills good by playing farm maps
Topic Starter
IryN

manishmathur wrote:

Almost wrote:

if you are adding all than of course not all farmer are bad but if the only map they play is farm then i can easily say 90% of farmer are bad because their accuracy will be bad and other skills will be suck too.
I have lot of farm map in my top play and have good accuracy but i didnt build my skill by playing farm maps and i doubt that anyone can make their skills good by playing farm maps
You can build skill from farm maps since they're easier than more skill based maps. Farm maps are what introduced me to DT. Back then I has trouble bursting 230 but now I can burst up to 300 on a good day and stream about 220 on a good day and that's thanks to DTing farm maps. Sincee they're easier you can build fundamentals off of them faster.
Rikuka
firstly , i'm became farmers
later , i regret it

trust me , farm doesn't make your skills higher

for shaming farmers itself , its just up to him/her , why you care about other people opinions in the first place ? ..
JustABeginner
It is advisable not to shame or criticise PP farmers like I did before. It only creates chaos and long unnecessary debate. I learned my mistake, and letting them do what they like best even though how much PP maps they've tried.
Topic Starter
IryN

Rikuka wrote:

later , i regret it

for shaming farmers itself , its just up to him/her , why you care about other people opinions in the first place ? ..
Just curious.
Yone
i only play farm maps and always get farmed shamed by ppl who think they are so special for playing tech but tbh it’s quite funny
Manishh

Rikuka wrote:

later , i regret it

many people say stop caring about others opinion but that's important. You should listen others opinions so you can improve your own opinions . its like if i am killing people than why should i hear other people opinion to not kill. why would i care about others opinion.

start seeing things in different perspective
Topic Starter
IryN

Yone wrote:

i only play farm maps and always get farmed shamed by ppl who think they are so special for playing tech but tbh it’s quite funny
It's probably since a lot of the community plays more standard map as a main and not tech. It makes them think they're unique when in reality they're not since if you main tech then obviously you'd be good at it 4head.
Raesa
A guy like me can only play farm maps
Joon Yorigami

travelkuda wrote:

my man
Manishh

travelkuda wrote:

You can, just need to try lol I also play farm maps but now i can play other maps too.
If i can do it then anyone can also do it
Fxjlk

IryN wrote:

and that's thanks to DTing farm maps. Sincee they're easier you can build fundamentals off of them faster.
Really? I thought by definition its the opposite. They require less fundamentals (rhythm sense, aim etc) to get more pp. Since it doesnt test fundamentals it doesnt teach them either.

Ive never heard anyone say that farm maps are good for fundamentals
show more