forum

Nvidia reflex for osu!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +287
Topic Starter
fujinn
I don't know how hard or possible it is to integrate Nvidia reflex into osu but I'd highly appreciate it. I think Nvidia reflex is perfect for osu since it's for reducing input lag.
abraker
Would having specialized gfx cards supporting Nvidia reflex give an unfair advantage to people that would have them?

Relevant question because mania ranking criteria doesn't allow maps where you need to press more than 6 keys at once. Most people don't have specialized keyboards with NRKO, so it's been decided against giving people who have such keyboards an unfair advantage over those who dont.
Topic Starter
fujinn
But ist already an unfair advantage if someone has a higher refresh rate or lower input lag. So if there is the possibility for some players to have a better experience, then it should be used.
abraker

Actiol wrote:

But ist already an unfair advantage if someone has a higher refresh rate or lower input lag. So if there is the possibility for some players to have a better experience, then it should be used.
Unlike a higher refresh rate monitor, this will need dedicated support from the game to be available. Is peppy going to agree to add dedicated support for something that goes against the "free-to-win" notion that has been so strongly enforced?

If this is implemented I demand mania maps with more than 6 simultaneous presses to be rankable.
Arkonite
Well we're already screwed by Nvidia Optimus so a little something would be nice. But I guess that would attributed to the buyer being uninformed so I doubt that would be enough argument.
liuka94
I think it would be great, this technology would take osu! to a new level.
Metajets1
I think Nvidia reflex should be integrated into the game because Nvidia promises to support this feature all the way back to the GeForce GTX 900 Series cards, not just the new expensive ones. This would bring an advantage to both high-end and lower-end systems benefiting a lot of players.
RockRoller

Metajets1 wrote:

I think Nvidia reflex should be integrated into the game because Nvidia promises to support this feature all the way back to the GeForce GTX 900 Series cards, not just the new expensive ones. This would bring an advantage to both high-end and lower-end systems benefiting a lot of players.
900 series are not low end, if we are talking about low-end osu! gaming systems (or just in general), we are talking about e.g. old laptops with some weak cpu with integrated graphics.
And as abraker said, the game is free 2 win, no one should be at a disadvantage just because their hardware doesnt support a certain technology
Metajets1

RockRoller wrote:

Metajets1 wrote:

900 series are not low end, if we are talking about low-end osu! gaming systems (or just in general), we are talking about e.g. old laptops with some weak cpu with integrated graphics.
And as abraker said, the game is free 2 win, no one should be at a disadvantage just because their hardware doesnt support a certain technology
I'm sorry I didn't realize that. In that case I understand peppy not wanting to implement Nvidia Reflex. Although I would still like to see it, maybe as an option that isn't ranked?
colecodez

Metajets1 wrote:

RockRoller wrote:

Metajets1 wrote:

I'm sorry I didn't realize that. In that case I understand peppy not wanting to implement Nvidia Reflex. Although I would still like to see it, maybe as an option that isn't ranked?
This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. People with better hardware are already have an advantage to those without. If someone has a 360 Hz monitor they have a major advantage to someone with a 30 Hz monitor. How is reflex SDK any different?

IMO any optimizations to make the game perform better should be implemented.
abraker

colecodez wrote:

Metajets1 wrote:

RockRoller wrote:

Metajets1 wrote:

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. People with better hardware are already have an advantage to those without. If someone has a 360 Hz monitor they have a major advantage to someone with a 30 Hz monitor. How is reflex SDK any different?

It's different because devs need to add explicit support for Nvidia Reflex, while handling 360 Hz doesn't need any special code. Adding explicit support for Nvidia Reflex would make a statement that devs don't strictly adhere to a free-to-win philosophy since you need high end hardware to take advantage of it
climm

abraker wrote:

colecodez wrote:

Metajets1 wrote:

RockRoller wrote:

Metajets1 wrote:

It's different because devs need to add explicit support for Nvidia Reflex, while handling 360 Hz doesn't need any special code. Adding explicit support for Nvidia Reflex would make a statement that devs don't strictly adhere to a free-to-win philosophy since you need high end hardware to take advantage of it
Would the same logic apply to something like Vulcan support or multithreading? Not every machine can take advantage of multithreading for example, the same would go for Vulcan if it was ever adopted.

Also, just as an aside; if the devs want a fully equal experience for all, why isn't the game frame rate capped or input polling rate capped? They must've written specific code to allow for an unlimited frame rate and polling rate, favouring more capable systems and peripherals.

My main question is about the stance on Vulcan.
Vyserius
yes
PeTorNatOr
they really should add Nvidia reflex support. There is no reason not to.
merp
what we have instead of reflex currently is ultra low latency mode and it basically is reflex just a driver setting instead of a game option

also there's other things that can help out with system latency and performance like process lasso or REduce Audio Latency github project that works only for windows audio drivers but it sometimes doesn't work idk the scenarios but apparently it happens, there's also a reddit that has something for optimizing windows like debloating/defrag/deep virus scan and more its called Tron Script, there's also a discord its called hone and the name is also the invite it can optimize pc latency a bit as well as fps, I only would suggest debloating for laptops, low end pcs and prebuilts cuz those most of the time need it the most.
sakudara
Yeah, it really should. But why wouldn't peppy make his own technology which could reduce latency no matter the hardware being used for playing? Wouldn't that be a bit better?
abraker

sakudara wrote:

Yeah, it really should. But why wouldn't peppy make his own technology which could reduce latency no matter the hardware being used for playing? Wouldn't that be a bit better?
Nvidia reflex uses special hardware features to work

Any technology peppy makes would be in software. Software is always limited by hardware.