forum

OT! Rules Discussion: What exactly is considered a necro?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
YyottaCat
Necro posting have been around for years. However, there isn't really a standard for what is a necro and what is not. This thread is specifically for the discussion on that issue.

My suggestion would be to consider any reply on a topic that hasn't been replied to for at least 60 days that isn't a pinned topic a necro.

Let's discuss.
WitherMite
to really define a necro we need to define what a dead thread is, since necroposting is bumping a dead thread, and a time cutoff isn't a very good answer for that imo, there are plenty of threads that get revived after a long time, because they weren't dead, people were just waiting for the next thing to happen, as that's the premise of the thread.

Is there a better way to know if a thread is dead than just an arbitrary time cutoff? Common sense is usually a good tell, but obviously people don't have that and its not great to have in rules. Some threads are basically dead on arrival while others basically last forever as long as someone remembers them.

thinking about it a bit more I guess not, dont know if theres a way to make a fair rule that can somewhat accurately pronounce a thread dead - since for it to really be dead, people need to not care and/or know about it anymore and I guess there's no way to know that if you arent around for a while unless you arent a retard and can read the room, which a rule cant do.

Maybe someone else has ideas, but I just dont really like the arbitrary time rule very much.
igorsprite
when this appears, maybe.
WitherMite
idk, I had to go to page 30 before that popped up and there are a lot of threads in between there that would definitely be considered dead.
igorsprite

WitherMite wrote:

idk, I had to go to page 30 before that popped up and there are a lot of threads in between there are would definitely be considered dead.
they are smol necros u.u
[ Rynn ]
westtle
"i'm not a necromancer, but i think a post can be considered a necro-post if it's useless and/or doesn't have any reply/views for a little bit of time (like in a week or so).
i mean, can a post that was uh... revived/necro-posted (or something) can be considered a necro-post again in the future?"

"and also, does the pinned topic that was locked considered as a necro-post or not?
that, i don't know, but i do know that if a post is locked but not pinned then it can be considered dead."
Zelzatter Zero

Itz_UwU_Playz wrote:

again, it's subjective:

This place considers a month.

This considers to be 2 weeks.

Some can consider it to be 6.

The problem here in the first place in that we are determining how much days for it to be seen as necro, when we all know that it differs from people to people, and just a simple Google search is just basically dogshit for that.

Just follow it with the mere definition (Posting to a thread that has been there for a long time that the thread topic became irrelevant and/or outdated) is already enough.
https://hypixel.net/threads/what-is-necroposting.1280081/
igorsprite

WesttlE wrote:

i mean, can a post that was uh... revived/necro-posted (or something) can be considered a necro-post again in the future?"
yes, here an example
abraker
what igor said
Topic Starter
YyottaCat

abraker wrote:

what igor said
Add that to the Grand Edict.
ColdTooth
So here's my take on it, guys.

If something has been inactive for 1-4 months, it's technically a smaller form of necroposting. We can let it slide but you're on thin ice IMO. Even more on thin ice if you post something NOT worthy to the discussion, but if it is worthy, then you're clear.

If something has been inactive for 4-12 months, then it's considered necroposting. If you show something worthy to the discussion, and the thread has not gone through it all and not done the "okay this thread can die now" vibe, then you're clear. If it does thave that vibe, or you're doing the same thing everyone else posted before, or it's not worthy, then you're a fucking idiot.

If something has been inactive for 1-2 years, it's definitely necroposting. If it is something to discuss, and it doesn't have the vibe of "this thread can die now", then MAYBE. But otherwise, it's better just to leave these threads alone because chances are whatever is in that thread is your answer.

If something has been inactive for 2+ years just fucking make a new thread if it so makes you curious.
abraker
> Add that to the Grand Edict.

Manishh
Oh
Zelzatter Zero
a necro on a thread abt necropost

how the turns have tabled
igorsprite
i love this joke xD
Corne2Plum3

manishmathur wrote:

Oh