forum

Removing inactive players from all gamemode leaderboards

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Jaegii

Wasn't sure whether to put this post in this forum or in the gameplay and rankings forum, but nonetheless here it is.

Recently I've started playing osu!ctb and I noticed that compared to osu!standard (which recently took all invactive players off the leaderboards, catch the beat has a lot of inactive players in the top 10k. I haven't checked mania or taiko, but I'm sure their leaderboards are somewhat similar. Since we wiped off the inactive players on the standard leaderboard, why don't we do it for osu!catch and the other gamemodes? I don't see how it can be negative in any way, and possibly would get more people to start playing those game modes as they would climb quicker.

I'd love to discuss this topic further with osu staff and other fellow community members, I'd like to have this suggestion become true so I'll be happy to talk to anybody willing to help me push this forward!
abraker
I think you should make an issue at https://github.com/ppy/osu-web/issues
Lights
How would you fairly determine what is and is not active? If i set 1 score every 6 months am I inactive? How about 1 score every X months? Whats to stop someone from doing the bare minimum to maintain a rank without playing very much?

Not to mention that merely being inactive doesnt mean a player isnt deserving of their rank. Just because its been a little while doesnt mean that players accomplishments arent still as valid as those of another player that got theirs more recently.

There is some merit to your idea, but I feel as though it could use some elaboration.
abraker

Lights wrote:

Inactive players are already being removed from leaderboards until they make a score. Try to see your std rank. You won't until you make a score because you were automatically removed at some point.
Lights

abraker wrote:

Lights wrote:

Inactive players are already being removed from leaderboards until they make a score. Try to see your std rank. You won't until you make a score because you were automatically removed at some point.
That doesn't answer anything I mentioned in my post.
Sugar_owo
Ouch. So then someone inactive on the full game, correct?

i kinda thought that would happen..
THAT_otaku

Lights wrote:

Not to mention that merely being inactive doesn't mean a player isn't deserving of their rank.
All they have to do is submit another ranked play and their rank will be back? they aren't losing anything, especially if they already don't play the game(inactive)

Like abraker already said,

abraker wrote:

Inactive players are already being removed from leaderboards until they make a score.
This already happens on osu!standard, so i'm not sure what you mean by :

Lights wrote:

There is some merit to your idea, but I feel as though it could use some elaboration.

Also this is a very good idea I hope this gets implemented:)
iFiish
My concern is a person such as wonder5193 would have their rank lost, even though they are one of the most legendary players in the game (in osu!m that is) if you took away their rank that would be a whole uprising. But, on the other-hand if you took away some random 30-40k rank away that was away the same amount of time, I don’t think many people would care. That’s the thing, ppy could wipe all the inactive people, but that’s the thing, they’re inactive. They earned their (hopefully fairly) and they definitely deserve to keep it if they come back, what if they are going into the army like Bikko, or what if they just can’t play for a long time. I think it’s good to darken the names and that’s good enough, completely erasing the player, no.

Maybe what you could suggest is something like a sorting system for leaderboards, like beatmaps. Like for instance you could see leaderboards with or without inactive players. You maybe could also sort on how “inactive” a player could be before disappearing from your sorted leaderboard. I think that would be a good idea.
THAT_otaku

iFiish wrote:

My concern is a person such as wonder5193 would have their rank lost, even though they are one of the most legendary players in the game (in osu!m that is) if you took away their rank that would be a whole uprising.
No, Players such as chocomint(cookizie), toy, etc have lost there ranks, some of the most known players in o!std. nobody cares too much. all theyd have to do is submit a ranked score and itd be back.

iFiish wrote:

ppy could wipe all the inactive people
This isn't about wiping accounts. nor deleting them. etc.

iFiish wrote:

Maybe what you could suggest is
He is suggesting the grey name thing, and removing the inactive players from the global leaderboard. This has already happened in o!std.
Topic Starter
Jaegii

THAT_otaku wrote:

iFiish wrote:

My concern is a person such as wonder5193 would have their rank lost, even though they are one of the most legendary players in the game (in osu!m that is) if you took away their rank that would be a whole uprising.
No, Players such as chocomint(cookizie), toy, etc have lost there ranks, some of the most known players in o!std. nobody cares too much. all theyd have to do is submit a ranked score and itd be back.

iFiish wrote:

ppy could wipe all the inactive people
This isn't about wiping accounts. nor deleting them. etc.

iFiish wrote:

Maybe what you could suggest is
He is suggesting the grey name thing, and removing the inactive players from the global leaderboard. This has already happened in o!std.
this ^