forum

what's (in your opinion) the most overrated anime? (or manga)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
viscerotonix
there are a lot of animes that i think are extremely undeserving of all the attention they get but hands down the most overrated one i've seen yet is jojo or my hero academia

i've tried watching both of these and they seriously don't hold my attention at all. jojo has an artstyle i cannot stand along with a plot that i hate as well. mha just seemed really bland to me, but i'm not super into superhero stuff anyway

no shade to people who like these! i understand WHY people do but they seriously aren't for me and i think they're overrated as hell haha
Wataxei
I agree that both MHA and JoJo are very overrated.

I'd like to add to the list that Darling in The Franxx is overrated as well.
Although the anime story was pretty good and a bit emotional, we have a whole bunch of Zero Two simps in the back and thinking it was the best anime ever created.

I also hate SAO (Sword Art Online) with a burning passion. The only thing good about it, is the openings.
Topic Starter
viscerotonix

Wataxei wrote:

Although the anime story was pretty good and a bit emotional, we have a whole bunch of Zero Two simps in the back and thinking it was the best anime ever created.

I also hate SAO (Sword Art Online) with a burning passion. The only thing good about it, is the openings.
I agree with SAO being super boring n overrated too lmfao, but i've never watched darling in the franxx. all i know about it is people REALLY love zero two, idk ANYTHING abt the plot or other characters!
Kagayasumi
Overrated for me is an anime that is very mediocre but gets a fuck ton of attention. IMO jojo is not overrated because i found it unique the only thing I hate about it are the kids overusing the memes everywhere. For me overrated animes are darling in the franxx, BNHA and demon slayer. These shit are just generic(this is my opinion u can hate me). It follows the same character tropes, arc structures, group dynamics, battle tactics and antagonist formulas as every other shounen out there. As for DITF the Story is just so meh, nothing feels new. The Concept feels similar except for the add on of all it being a huge sexual innuendo. Shouldve have ended it to ep 18.

The Characters (Except for Zero-Two) are the generic 2 dimensional friends you see in every anime. With the protagonist pretty much that generic anime main character. Then again just because its generic doesnt mean its bad.
Topic Starter
viscerotonix

Yooshu wrote:

Overrated for me is an anime that is very mediocre but gets a fuck ton of attention. IMO jojo is not overrated because i found it unique the only thing I hate about it are the kids overusing the memes everywhere. For me overrated animes are darling in the franxx, BNHA and demon slayer. These shit are just generic(this is my opinion u can hate me). It follows the same character tropes, arc structures, group dynamics, battle tactics and antagonist formulas as every other shounen out there. As for DITF the Story is just so meh, nothing feels new. The Concept feels similar except for the add on of all it being a huge sexual innuendo. Shouldve have ended it to ep 18.

The Characters (Except for Zero-Two) are the generic 2 dimensional friends you see in every anime. With the protagonist pretty much that generic anime main character. Then again just because its generic doesnt mean its bad.

I agree that jojo is unique in some ways but i really didn't think it was Good at what it was doing, but i'm also sure that kids overusing memes about it and my personal experience with jojo fans gives me a bit of a bias against it. i think it has some REALLY good OPs and cool character designs/ideas but it really to me isn't worthy of all the praise i see it getting

as for BNHA it totally does play out like other shounen animes and didn't stand out to me at all. seriously don't care to watch it, wouldn't say it's "bad" at what it does but it isn't anything i haven't seen.

i haven't watched demon slayer, i like the art but all the characters look the same once you get past the main few.
Wataxei

viscerotonix wrote:

Wataxei wrote:

I agree with SAO being super boring n overrated too lmfao, but i've never watched darling in the franxx. all i know about it is people REALLY love zero two, idk ANYTHING abt the plot or other characters!
Literally the whole fan base is built around praising Zero Two and forgetting everything else lol
NavneetG7
Jojo and SAO
I tried to get into Jojo but I could not get into it. I think it is not for me .
seraphishungry
hm ig MHA,demon slayer,SAO,HxH,jojo and attack on titan is overrated
Topic Starter
viscerotonix
i'm glad to see that the replies didn't become full of jojo fans screaming at me !!
aNoob543
Would you say Tokyo Ghoul is overrated
Topic Starter
viscerotonix

aNoob543 wrote:

i've never seen tokyo ghoul so i don't have an opinion on it. it's on my to watch list though since a lot of people like it!
ClassicKami
seishun buta yarou idk
Asphiee
Not manga but manwha
I believe that Solo Leveling is really overrated and the reason I can say that is because of these reasons:

1. The aforementioned manwha, like any typical Korean drama, is very protagonist-centric. It only focuses on the main character's narrative and perspective which objectively makes the show dull (not K-drama tho).

Good series objectively like, Overlord which has an overpowered protagonist does not tend to focus on Ainz only but rather showcase opposing character's narrative and outlook which makes this light novel more interesting.

2. Lack of MC conflict. The only struggle I remember reading the series was at the beginning when he was so weak after that there's nothing much of a challenge.

Fame, power, uniqueness, and recognition, if you get all those in a short period it dulls the flavor of the series and makes it boring to read, that's what happen to Solo Leveling.

One Punch Man's Saitama would be a good counter for that. You know why I couldn't drop this series? It's because despite being so overpowered, Saitama was scorned by the people and didn't even acknowledge his strength as a hero. Also, the road to recognition was a path that seems too difficult to attain for him because it all ends up King taking all the cake.

If Saitama was already recognised by the populace at the beginning, then I would have already dropped the series.

anime
As for anime, Enen no Shoubotai I guess. I don't see anything special about the anime really, just the average stuff you see like Ao no Exorcist which is also overrated.

However, both series isn't bad in an objective point of view. They're one of those series that doesn't leave a bad taste but also doesn't leave any lingering good aftertaste when you finished watching the show.

Kimetsu no Yaiba.

The anime was pretty good actually, nothing bad to say about. But I don't understand the overhyped audience really, the way they overrate the series feels like it's one of the masterpiece to ever exist.

The show wasnt bad but definitely not a plot to be hyped about.
animeslayergp
Haikyuu,i got bored after like 3 episodes
Asphiee

aNoob543 wrote:

Yes, although the MAL rating was justified by giving it the rating it deserved. The series still has its good reputation and consistent popularity despite the pointless and terrible storyline in 3rd and 4th season.

Accompanied by a terrible animation, Tokyo Ghoul's fame was all due to the 1st and 2nd season and OVA; aside from that, nothing notable to say about the anime.

What's keeping alive Tokyo Ghoul is its opening song and ikemen, chad (maybe not) of a protagonist. It's a big hit for the ones who just started watching anime though; I recommend Tokyo Ghoul if you want a good memory for your first one.
Sugar_owo
Jojo, MHA, and Naruto.

Your lie in April is better.
Sophie Twilight
Anime: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Konosuba, Tate Yuusha no Nariagari, Tensei Slime
Manga: 177013

edit 23/10/2021: tensura is very good now i've watched it, please forget me being total retardass here
Ohara
naruto & mha
Phantonym
SAO
RayRaivern
Angel Beats.

It has amazing animation.
It has amazing soundtrack.
It has amazing characters.
But it has sh*t backstory and story detailing.
(Also very rushed ending)

Also Kimi no Na wa.
And Toradora.
IPlayRoblox5377
Literally every mainstreams
jaackharm
haikyuu. 4 seasons of kids playing volleyball is not enjoyable
Sugar_owo

jaackharm wrote:

haikyuu. 4 seasons of kids playing volleyball is not enjoyable
yeah actually, i don't get how that's fun lmao
Asphiee
Yuru camp ig, pretty overrated for an average slice of life anime really. Idk what's to get overhyped about camping

But I guess haikyuu ain't for everyone, I like the series except the last season though I'm not gonna overrate it myself tho, 8/10 for s1 & s2, 9 for s3 and 6 or 7 for S4. Rating in MAL standard
ghoulybits
I feel like Evangelion is sort of overrated. It's not bad at all and I consider it a pretty amazing series but I feel like people just hype it up to unrealistic levels of amazingness whenever they talk about it. Although, saying Eva is overrated is kind of overrated at this point so I'm just feeding into the ouroboros.
aNoob543

Asphiee wrote:

Not manga but manwha
I believe that Solo Leveling is really overrated and the reason I can say that is because of these reasons:

1. The aforementioned manwha, like any typical Korean drama, is very protagonist-centric. It only focuses on the main character's narrative and perspective which objectively makes the show dull (not K-drama tho).

Good series objectively like, Overlord which has an overpowered protagonist does not tend to focus on Ainz only but rather showcase opposing character's narrative and outlook which makes this light novel more interesting.

2. Lack of MC conflict. The only struggle I remember reading the series was at the beginning when he was so weak after that there's nothing much of a challenge.

Fame, power, uniqueness, and recognition, if you get all those in a short period it dulls the flavor of the series and makes it boring to read, that's what happen to Solo Leveling.

One Punch Man's Saitama would be a good counter for that. You know why I couldn't drop this series? It's because despite being so overpowered, Saitama was scorned by the people and didn't even acknowledge his strength as a hero. Also, the road to recognition was a path that seems too difficult to attain for him because it all ends up King taking all the cake.

If Saitama was already recognised by the populace at the beginning, then I would have already dropped the series.

Yeah, I'll say Solo Leveling is overratted but it does desserve this fame in my opinion. You also got to admit it's better then SAO.

The MC does struggle the in the part
spoilers
where the oldMC just fought Iris some more dark knights come they're to strong that the youngerMC tells the oldMC character that he is still "weak" and that he was just "lucky" that he survived and got his powers.
The MC still struggles but not much after he learns to
spoiler
summon arond more then 100+ shadows
Asphiee

aNoob543 wrote:

Asphiee wrote:

Not manga but manwha

Yeah, I'll say Solo Leveling is overratted but it does desserve this fame in my opinion. You also got to admit it's better then SAO.

spoilers
where the oldMC just fought Iris some more dark knights come they're to strong that the youngerMC tells the oldMC character that he is still "weak" and that he was just "lucky" that he survived and got his powers.
spoiler
yea that. after those shadows and fame, id say its good but you know how u feel getting a good pp like you feel like "dang this is good" but after some time where u just get those pp normally it just feels normal. thats wat solo leveling is, fame and overpoweredness and the lack of struggle dragging the series for a long time gets boring tho im not flaming someone who loves the manwha tho since its got its good aspects
aNoob543

Asphiee wrote:

aNoob543 wrote:

Asphiee wrote:

Not manga but manwha

spoilers
spoiler
yea that. after those shadows and fame, id say its good but you know how u feel getting a good pp like you feel like "dang this is good" but after some time where u just get those pp normally it just feels normal. thats wat solo leveling is, fame and overpoweredness and the lack of struggle dragging the series for a long time gets boring tho im not flaming someone who loves the manwha tho since its got its good aspects
Yeah, I got to agree it can get pretty boring after around chapter 30.
sky0565
idk sao?
Nuuskamuikkunen
AS A NOTE: OVERRATED AND BAD ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE TERMS.
NOR OVERRATED AND THING I DON'T LIKE, IT'S PERFECTLY FINE IF YOU LIKE SOMETHING OVERRATED.

Kobayashi-san is ranked WAY too high in MAL. It's good, but it doesn't go much further than any other slice of life I have seen.

Bunny Senpai is not bad per se, the first three episodes were excellent and I could have rated it a 9/10 but... after that the series is a big meh till Kaede's arc, not as good as Mai's arc but at least was good enough.

For manga, Claymore.

The ending was poorly made, seemed like a last-minute resort to force the series to end.
lazymint
MHA lolol
ruzzyy

aNoob543 wrote:

Wouldn't say Tokyo Ghoul is overrated, as it is highly hated due to the studio skipping so much chapters.
MisakiSakaki
Kobayashi-san, Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!, New Game!

Nothing personal about them, I partially liked them but they has these "pass through a hoop" that I'm not willing to go through and I don't understand the reason they're so masified. Leaving aside the OST and animation, everything else is a big HOW is this so f*****g popular????

SAO, MHA, Attack on Titan, Nichijou

I understand its masification,but what I don't understand (and i don't want tbh) is from there make a pedestal and give your soul for it as if it were the last cocacola of the desert when it's not so much.

Rent-a-Girlfriend, Eromanga-sensei, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, Kaguya-sama

I find it an insult to human intellect, i do not mean about the entertainment that such series can serve you, it's all the elements that surround it, i was having a good time with Rent-a-Girlfriend but the more i wasa into, the more i was trying to undo the time i did spent into that **** same as Kaguya-sama till opening, sorry. I do not have 5 years old.
yarWe
kimetsu no yaiba/demon slayer

good anime but overrated
show more