forum

Guide osu! Linux

posted
Total Posts
show more
Winnyace
used that AUR once and I changed the location of the install from the osu! installer. it broke the package, so watch out for that.
Cookiaria
Thank you for this!
Successfully running on Pop!_os, really helpful!
heart_is_purple
Hi! I experience kind of input lag. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but really uncomfortable. Doesn't matter what fps limiter I use, it doesn't go away. I play from a laptop with intel & nvidia GPUs, so maybe they both render game and cause this lag (I saw it when running on windows).
How did you guys setup your tablets/game and what the experience is like? Is it perfect?
Yui-Kurata
I cant seem to login, just stays on "pending verification"
Layerex

heart_is_purple wrote:

Hi! I experience kind of input lag. It doesn't make the game unplayable, but really uncomfortable. Doesn't matter what fps limiter I use, it doesn't go away. I play from a laptop with intel & nvidia GPUs, so maybe they both render game and cause this lag (I saw it when running on windows).
How did you guys setup your tablets/game and what the experience is like? Is it perfect?
Linux is generally bad at handling both intergrated and discrete GPUs(especially with nvidia, because drivers are propietary crap), so welcome to hell. I have such laptop too, and when I just installed linux I spent a lot of time on figuring it out. Basically you have 3 options:

How to setup GPU drivers on optimus(Intel+Nvidia) laptop:

1) Use only Nvidia and disable Intel GPU. It is probably the easiest to set up. Some distros like Ubuntu and Manjaro(?) even offer a GUI to do that. If you use none of those refer to instructions in arch wiki(will work on all distros, not only arch) https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA_Optimus#Use_NVIDIA_graphics_only.

2) Use both Intel and Nvidia GPUs on the same X server (Bitlbee). It probably won't even work, because bitlbee(and bbswitch it uses for power management) are(sadly) abadoned and don't work with newer motherboards. If your laptop was manufactured after 2016 don't even try. If you still want to here is the guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee.

3) Use both Intel and Nvidia GPUs on separate X servers (nvidia-xrun). Probably the best solution for modern optimus laptops. Guide is for fedora, but will work for every distro, only installation from repositories differ: https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ekultails/nvidia-xrun/. For usage instructions take a look at its github: https://github.com/Witko/nvidia-xrun

Obviously before trying any of those solutions you need to install propietary nvidia drivers, google it for your distro. If you don't understand something feel free to ask.

Have never had a tablet, but most of players say it is fine, unless you use some no-name chinese tablet. Tablets usually work out of the box, you only need to change area.
Wacom: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wacom_tablet and https://linuxwacom.github.io/
XP-Pen: https://blog.thepoon.fr/XPPenLinux/
Huion(may also work for some no-name tablets, may not work on some Huion models): community/forums/topics/367783

Game does not need additional setup after installing drivers, it works just fine. To fix editor menus not being shown launch the game on wine virtual desktop. If audio feels distorted enable/disable legacy audio engine; if mouse does not work properly disable raw input, you don't really need it on linux.
Iodine

Ace Pilot wrote:

How do you make your huion tablet work? Mine is the Huion H420 and I've been trying a lot of the solutions I've been seeing in the arch forums but none of them seem to work
Made a post. Not sure how useful this will be to you though. community/forums/topics/1122479
amin girl
For some reason this method caps my fps at 144 (my monitor's refresh rate). Toggling fullscreen mode or hitting f7 cycle the fps limiter fixes it until I restart the game.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

edit: disable compositing when osu is open
AlphaS
Do not turn on CompatibilityContext or Compatibility mode in osu! settings. DO NOT!!!
Do not turn on Shaders (white screen on transitions) or Softening filter (WHITE FUCKING SCREEN EVERYWHERE). DO NOT!!!

DO
NOT
!!!

Turn on Audio Compatibility for ultra minimum latency! ^-^

If you "install" osu - WAIT. Then click 1000 times on "Stop" button. Have a good time playing this game.
marshallracer

AlphaS wrote:

Do not turn on CompatibilityContext or Compatibility mode in osu! settings. DO NOT!!!
Do not turn on Shaders (white screen on transitions) or Softening filter (WHITE FUCKING SCREEN EVERYWHERE). DO NOT!!!
yeah, compatibility mode crippled my fps in Wine 5.14 which is when I noticed that without it the game already runs extremely smooth
before then (or rather before 5.7) there was no difference when having compat mode enabled or disabled or at least I never noticed any
1chucklehead
I ended up getting opsu instead of osu. I can't log into my account.
WolfiyEdits
worked great thx

(arch 5.8.13, bspwm)
icr0
Is the latest update broken for anyone else (arch)
i restarted osu to update, can't launch it anymore:

0103:fixme:thread:create_user_shared_data_thread Creating user shared data update thread.
00fb:fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Runtime.Remoting"
00fb:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({8e9f5090-2d75-4d03-8a81-e5afbf85daf1}, 0xd90aba, (nil), 0x1114ee0) stub.
0109:fixme:process:FlushProcessWriteBuffers : stub
00fd:fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
DonTMover_old
Tnks
YumiEvergarden
When I run osu! Updater it gives the error "an error occurred! Please check your internet connection". How do I fix this? (Manjaro)
kevincos5
This works for elementary os?
marshallracer

DRO4ULA wrote:

When I run osu! Updater it gives the error "an error occurred! Please check your internet connection". How do I fix this? (Manjaro)
Check and see if you have lib32-gnutls installed, this is often the reason the updater has no internet connection

kevincos5 wrote:

Yes. As it is based on Ubuntu, installation should be straightforward.
Valorix

marshallracer wrote:

DRO4ULA wrote:

Check and see if you have lib32-gnutls installed, this is often the reason the updater has no internet connection

kevincos5 wrote:

Yes. As it is based on Ubuntu, installation should be straightforward.
Yesterday I upgraded from Fedora 32 to Fedora 33 and I'm having the same issue. For Fedora install command for gnutls is "sudo dnf install gnutls" and it writes this "Package gnutls-3.6.15-1.fc33.i686 is already installed.
Package gnutls-3.6.15-1.fc33.x86_64 is already installed.
".. It is installed, but doesn't work somehow.. I have osu! installed through Lutris script. I tried deleting the Wine prefix and installing it again. Nothing.. I tried this install script https://github.com/yurisuki/osu-install and still nothing. Lutris log shows this "GnuTLS error: No or insufficient priorities were set."

EDIT: I've been able to at least work around this issue. I've made a separate prefix and tried to run it with Proton (just to see, what happens) and it worked. Through Winetricks I downloaded dotnet45 and gdiplus dlls. And that broke it (was getting those gnutls errors). I tried it with just gdiplus dll and it worked. Later I've made new prefix just to clean up mess that I created by trying different stuff. Tried to run it with regular Wine and it works. TLDR: dotnet45 was an issue for me. Deleted it and it was fine.
Note: I did everything in Lutris.
marshallracer
ok, dotnet breaking something does not really surprise me .. but it killing networking is definitely weird and should not happen. Even more confusing as how you got it to run withouut it since osu relies on at least dotnet40 but it could very well be there's something borked in that very specific setup with 45. Maybe I'll give it a shot in a vm to see what happens.
EmoBlitz

RoARene317 wrote:

Since osu! is for Windows and Mac version, the linux version isn't available right now. But for me after a long journey in linux, finally I get the working osu! on linux.

1. Install Lutris (since they already provided the script and do it for you)
Ubuntu user (Ubuntu based OS):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lutris

Arch Linux (Arch Linux Based OS):
sudo pamac -S lutris

For other distro can refer to this guide : https://lutris.net/downloads/

2. search osu! and click search lutris.net

3. Click install and go to the Windows Version

4. Just wait this will install:
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
GDI Plus (For Graphical Fixes)
CJK Font
Wine Staging Version
If you get a lot of fixme:error blah blah blah , it's normal as long you don't get fatal error. This process takes along time about 30 minutes so be patient.

5. osu! Installed

Low latency osu! (Thanks PooN)
1. Download the custom audio driver (Download the both)
https://blog.thepoon.fr/assets/articles/2018-06-16-osuLinuxAudioLatency/32bit/winepulse.drv.so (32bit)
https://blog.thepoon.fr/assets/articles/2018-06-16-osuLinuxAudioLatency/64bit/winepulse.drv.so (64bit)

2. Type on terminal :
[file browser apps] /home/[username]/.local/share/lutris/wine/tkg-osu-4.6-x86_64
Replace file browser apps with your own depending on your operating system: Arch = Dolphin Ubuntu = Nautilus

Replace username with your own username

3. Paste the file 32 bit to the lib folder and the 64 bit to the lib64 folder

4. Type on terminal : sudo nano /etc/security/limits.conf

edit and paste this command

echo "@[username] - nice -20
@[username] - rtprio 99" >> /etc/security/limits.conf

Repalce username with your own username

5. Save by Ctrl+X
6. Copy paste this command to terminal
mkdir -p /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.d/
echo "high-priority = yes
nice-level = -15

realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 50

resample-method = speex-float-0

default-fragments = 2 # Minimum is 2
default-fragment-size-msec = 2 # You can set this to 1, but that will break OBS audio capture." | sudo tee -a /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.d/10-better-latency.conf

7. Type sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
Find the line that include this command:
load-module module-udev-detect

add tsched=1

save it

8. Back To Lutris and configure osu --> Game Options --> change arguments to STAGING_AUDIO_DURATION=10000

Troubleshoot
1. Stuck at looping on installation

It takes a lot of time depending on your CPU, HDD.

2. osu! takes a long time / not boot

Check the task manager if the cpu usage osu.exe higher than 50% it means program is preparing because there is the big change in your osu folder

3. Where is my osu folder
Default /home/[username]/Games/osu

4. Cross on installation = Image cross

install libpng by apt-get install libpng // pacman -S libpng

5. If problem persist kill wine-server
and osu!.exe

That's it :)

RoARene317 wrote:

Since osu! is for Windows and Mac version, the linux version isn't available right now. But for me after a long journey in linux, finally I get the working osu! on linux.

1. Install Lutris (since they already provided the script and do it for you)
Ubuntu user (Ubuntu based OS):

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lutris

Arch Linux (Arch Linux Based OS):
sudo pamac -S lutris

For other distro can refer to this guide : https://lutris.net/downloads/

2. search osu! and click search lutris.net

3. Click install and go to the Windows Version

4. Just wait this will install:
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0
Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
GDI Plus (For Graphical Fixes)
CJK Font
Wine Staging Version
If you get a lot of fixme:error blah blah blah , it's normal as long you don't get fatal error. This process takes along time about 30 minutes so be patient.

5. osu! Installed

Low latency osu! (Thanks PooN)
1. Download the custom audio driver (Download the both)
https://blog.thepoon.fr/assets/articles/2018-06-16-osuLinuxAudioLatency/32bit/winepulse.drv.so (32bit)
https://blog.thepoon.fr/assets/articles/2018-06-16-osuLinuxAudioLatency/64bit/winepulse.drv.so (64bit)

2. Type on terminal :
[file browser apps] /home/[username]/.local/share/lutris/wine/tkg-osu-4.6-x86_64
Replace file browser apps with your own depending on your operating system: Arch = Dolphin Ubuntu = Nautilus

Replace username with your own username

3. Paste the file 32 bit to the lib folder and the 64 bit to the lib64 folder

4. Type on terminal : sudo nano /etc/security/limits.conf

edit and paste this command

echo "@[username] - nice -20
@[username] - rtprio 99" >> /etc/security/limits.conf

Repalce username with your own username

5. Save by Ctrl+X
6. Copy paste this command to terminal
mkdir -p /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.d/
echo "high-priority = yes
nice-level = -15

realtime-scheduling = yes
realtime-priority = 50

resample-method = speex-float-0

default-fragments = 2 # Minimum is 2
default-fragment-size-msec = 2 # You can set this to 1, but that will break OBS audio capture." | sudo tee -a /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.d/10-better-latency.conf

7. Type sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa
Find the line that include this command:
load-module module-udev-detect

add tsched=1

save it

8. Back To Lutris and configure osu --> Game Options --> change arguments to STAGING_AUDIO_DURATION=10000

Troubleshoot
1. Stuck at looping on installation

It takes a lot of time depending on your CPU, HDD.

2. osu! takes a long time / not boot

Check the task manager if the cpu usage osu.exe higher than 50% it means program is preparing because there is the big change in your osu folder

3. Where is my osu folder
Default /home/[username]/Games/osu

4. Cross on installation = Image cross

install libpng by apt-get install libpng // pacman -S libpng

5. If problem persist kill wine-server
and osu!.exe

That's it :)
everybody gangster until you cant get beatmaps to work
Bluesuma
sudo mkdir -p /etc/pulse/daemon.conf.d/
PerFect!
ThachAnhHoang
Alright, I have a bit of a note. For those using Fedora and wants to play osu!, you shouldn't update to Fedora 33. Why? The post-install screen doesn't update and keeps showing the "Please check your internet connection" message. Therefore, I suggest that you stay at 32 (but preferably not something before 30) cuz that would be quite old already. Side note, idk if NVIDIA has solved its problems with its drivers on kernel 5.9 yet.
BilalMirza1000
when i run osu! my pc logs out of my account and when i get back in linux everythings closed how do i fix this
ThachAnhHoang
You do realize you cannot have 2 computers with osu! on simultaneously with just 1 account?
battleof3
tsched=1 is incorrect btw, supposed to be tsched=0. We want the interrupt scheduler so our staging duration and pulsewine patches are able to work properly.
multimode freak
i figured it out
den4k4554
how can i install osu on solus budgie 4.1?
TakayaHQ
F to pay respect
[RUE]Bambinex
Ok so I have a big problem. Everything is installed correctly but whe I lauche the game via Lutris I get the message error 'NoneType' object has no attribute "lower". I can't launch the game help me

Edit: ok I managed to fix error but, why do the game crash after finishing a game ?
Hisakawa
Manjaro user here. Tried OP, works perfectly fine. In order to turn off my mouse acceleration I used the guide from the arch wiki, the one with libinput:

Alternatively, since libinput-1.1.0-1 and xf86-input-libinput-0.15.0-1 you can use a flat acceleration profile. To enable it create the following file:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-mouse-acceleration.conf

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "My Mouse"
Driver "libinput"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "AccelProfile" "flat"
Option "AccelSpeed" "0"
EndSection
Jupilian
destroyed my linux mint sound after a restart, I needed to undo manually everything
marshallracer

Jupilian wrote:

destroyed my linux mint sound after a restart, I needed to undo manually everything
This is why PooN's low latency stuff should not be just used as is because it is prone to breaking entire system audio

Recent wine(-staging) versions (from 5.7 onwards) have greatly improved latency over the outdated osu-specific wine packages provided by either PooN or Lutris scripts. For some these may still work but require a lot of effort for very little gain compared to leaving everything at default with recent wine version.

This guide still works perfectly (and is pinned for a reason) and alternatively there's an install script I have on my github that is very much based and said pinned guide
WoLFire TL
aea tu categoria es una kgada no sirvio para nada >:I
NickNiGamer

wuuT wrote:

I'm not sure, but looks like that building yourself with osu!lazer doesn't require this anymore. I did install it on my Fedora and it's working fine.

Not sure if we have a post for it, but I can manage to do one if needed.
im in fedora too
kawaiighost
Any difference with ozu lazer ?
JugaadooRadhu
by the way i use arch 😀😀😀😀😀😀🙃
vejasas
um, im getting this error every time i open up osu
https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/discord/771724007728087081-874971379831812126-unknown.png
any ideas how to fix this? (im guessing its something with net framework)
irevenantz
howw can i play with tablet wacom?
ARGM1408

irevenantz wrote:

howw can i play with tablet wacom?
If you use X11 Window System then refer this: https://github.com/linuxwacom/input-wacom
DiSan

hikidiggy wrote:

how do i add beatmaps then (lutris)
I use ubuntu 20.04 and download my beatmaps in ~/Games/osu/drive_c/osu/Songs.
If you want to download skins there is also the ~/Games/osu/drive_c/osu/Skins folder.
cxckslayer02
Hey, I'm like a Linux newbie.
I had Arch installed which went well as for installing the opentabletdriver.
As for getting osu to run properly the the guide of the poon it didnt went so well and I ended up having everything cluttered. As for now I'll be installing Manjaro because graphical installer. But that won't eliminate my issue with having to deal with installing osu properly. If anyone is down to help me please write a forum dm or add me on discord: Fletscherrrr#0517
I could really use some help as I'm really new and not getting shit to run is really discouraging ngl.
show more