forum

[Archived] FIX YOUR GAME WTF

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TohjW
Problem details:

I play Taiko. I am a Taiko main, right? I rank top 5, top 10, and top 50 on a lot of maps I play. Just tonight, I was trying to beat an old score I had set on a map. On that map, I currently hold 4th place, so I decided to try it again after awhile because I can easily get 2nd place. Well, here I am trying it again and I make it to over 1K combo, almost the end of the song and GUESS WHAT!? The game fuc***g stutters, like it does every other few seconds and that ONE stutter screwed up my whole combo. It does this no matter what I do, or what map I play and it's goddamn annoying.

Someone, ANYONE. PLEASE tell me why the hell the game randomly stutters on literally THE BEST hardware to date. I have an i9 10900K overclocked to 5Ghz, 3200MHz RAM, and an overclocked RTX 2080 Super. WTF is the problem here?
Video or screenshot showing the problem:

osu! version: Stable 20200831.2 (latest)
Dntm8kmeeatu
Try everything listed here help/wiki/Performance_Troubleshooting

And be sure to close ALL background programs to make sure one of them aren't the culprit.
And when I saw close ALL, I mean it. Don't leave Discord or Chrome open or ANYTHING simply because it used to be fine or you think your pc should be able to handle it.
Topic Starter
TohjW

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Try everything listed here help/wiki/Performance_Troubleshooting

And be sure to close ALL background programs to make sure one of them aren't the culprit.
And when I saw close ALL, I mean it. Don't leave Discord or Chrome open or ANYTHING simply because it used to be fine or you think your pc should be able to handle it.

I have done this. All of this. I had nothing open to the point I didn't even have Corsair's iCUE or Razer Synapse started. Shut off the xbox app, turned off my virus and firewall junk, I did everything and nothing is stopping it from doing these stutters. And I know it can't be because "The hardware is too good for the game" Because I had an old rig with a base version i7 9700F, 2666 generic ram, and I shuffled between a 2080 Super and 2080Ti and got stutters with all of this too. Any other suggestions?

Oh, I should prob mention I'm also running this game using a Western Digital SN550 1TB M.2 SSD
Death
What is your frame limiter set to? Can you get a picture or video of your frame time graph (Ctrl+F11) after you get a spike?
Topic Starter
TohjW

Death wrote:

What is your frame limiter set to? Can you get a picture or video of your frame time graph (Ctrl+F11) after you get a spike?
I change it around. However the stutters occur on all of the frame settings.

Here is this image you wanted. I took the screenshot shortly after the stutter occurred that made me lose my combo

ss/15504442/f3e4 It was on the power saving limiter mode at 120FPS and I have all the extra things like softening filter, combo bursts etc. Turned OFF
Topic Starter
TohjW
why is my problem not fixed
Phosphorcracker
I recall an ancient issue of one of my machines. It was a combination of a faulty ram stick and an ancient power supply.

Do test your ram with a benchmark. There can be a physical error in the stick that only causes problems if the usage reaches maximum.

If you have the hardware around do test another power supply. One of my power supplies just kinda got old and died. Random power shortages caused many things to stutter or crash for seemingly no reason.

There is an option in osu! thats called "reduce dropped frames". It is some software black magic, something about buffered renders. It could fix your issue since you seem to have the power to render some extra frames.
Topic Starter
TohjW

Phosphorcracker wrote:

I recall an ancient issue of one of my machines. It was a combination of a faulty ram stick and an ancient power supply.

Do test your ram with a benchmark. There can be a physical error in the stick that only causes problems if the usage reaches maximum.

If you have the hardware around do test another power supply. One of my power supplies just kinda got old and died. Random power shortages caused many things to stutter or crash for seemingly no reason.

There is an option in osu! thats called "reduce dropped frames". It is some software black magic, something about buffered renders. It could fix your issue since you seem to have the power to render some extra frames.
The ram is Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 3200MHZ. You can see the ram usage in the screenshot link I shared. The stats are in the top left. Also, it's not an old PSU it is a brand new 1000W PSU, so that's not the problem either. If either of those things were a problem, I wouldn't be able to play every one of my games at maximum settings and achieve above 60FPS in them. I mean, I'm getting 150-180FPS in Division 2 at max settings with 14400 of my 16GB ram being used by it, and no problems at all. A game that takes absolutely nothing to run, such as osu, shouldn't really be having any problems like this :/ And also, the "Reduce dropped frames" option is turned on too
HecaRegina
"Reduce dropped frames" is something even bad pc like mine wouldn't even be using. I've yet to see people using it but maybe it works for certain circumstances.

Also your skin might be a factor as certain skin elements (such as those big files and other possibilities) can cause stutters during gameplay and song selection. Just simply don't use them. It works for me to use minimalist skin as I am using low-end office laptop, but even high performance PCs might suffer this with certain skins.

Looking at the ss, it might also cause by external programs. Check your task manager for any spikes or drops in ram or memory usage that could be done by a program.

The game is fine by many people even as someone who's poor like mine, so it's rarely the game's fault.
Phosphorcracker
hmm, what a mysterious problem. Pretty sure you already tried the general fixes like properly reinstalling gpu drivers and whatnot.

One last trick up my sleeve is cleaning up your Registry. With ever increasing age of the system the chance of errors and empty entries increases and might cause weird interactions and slowdowns. You can either fully reinstall your OS for a clean slate or use a tool like CCleaner.

If you trust a tool like CCleaner to perform any kind of surgery on your registry always say yes to the backup prompt in case something weird happens.
Topic Starter
TohjW

Phosphorcracker wrote:

hmm, what a mysterious problem. Pretty sure you already tried the general fixes like properly reinstalling gpu drivers and whatnot.

One last trick up my sleeve is cleaning up your Registry. With ever increasing age of the system the chance of errors and empty entries increases and might cause weird interactions and slowdowns. You can either fully reinstall your OS for a clean slate or use a tool like CCleaner.

If you trust a tool like CCleaner to perform any kind of surgery on your registry always say yes to the backup prompt in case something weird happens.
It was built barely a few months ago. And in those few months, has also had about 3 or 4 clean installs of windows due to me trying to figure out a different problem, so it can't be anything related to that either. I'm just pretty angry that even after building a $3500+ setup that one of my favorite games, as low of performance as it takes too, is getting random jumps and stutters for what seems to be absolutely no reason. It's literally just THIS game, which utilizes very, VERY little of my systems hardware and capabilities :/
Topic Starter
TohjW
Well, thanks anyways guys.
thekingproctm

TohjW wrote:

this is a problem of the game, its the same with me, i have 55-58 fps all the time with weird stuttering, they need to fix the game
Zelzatter Zero

thekingproctm wrote:

TohjW wrote:

this is a problem of the game, its the same with me, i have 55-58 fps all the time with weird stuttering, they need to fix the game
What's your computer spec? Mine can reach 120fps with no problem.
Topic Starter
TohjW

thekingproctm wrote:

TohjW wrote:

I agree. My hardware is overpowered and the game still stutters. I literally listed my specs and people still try and point out that it could be a problem with my hardware. I'm not completely ruling it out, but the fact I can play any other game without frame lag spikes (Like my problem with osu) pretty much speaks for itself.
Zelzatter Zero
check your hardware again. I have a Pentimum chip with just 4GB RAM and the game only stutter like 2 times each hour even when I put everything to max (Shaders on, Storyboard on, Snaking sliders on, 0% dim). No graphic card either.

Seems like something's really fucked inside the game that stutters a lot. Corrupted maps, too high resolution skin elements, etc. anything strange can pose the problem. Did you notice something unusual when the issue started happening?
thekingproctm

TohjW wrote:

thekingproctm wrote:

TohjW wrote:

I agree. My hardware is overpowered and the game still stutters. I literally listed my specs and people still try and point out that it could be a problem with my hardware. I'm not completely ruling it out, but the fact I can play any other game without frame lag spikes (Like my problem with osu) pretty much speaks for itself.
this is not a problem of hardware, with my crappy laptop i can play with no sttuter, my main pc with 8 gb of ram and an a8-6600k has this problem, maybe its a windows 8 bug, my main pc has windows 8 and this laptop has windows 10
Topic Starter
TohjW

Zelzatter Zero wrote:

check your hardware again. I have a Pentimum chip with just 4GB RAM and the game only stutter like 2 times each hour even when I put everything to max (Shaders on, Storyboard on, Snaking sliders on, 0% dim). No graphic card either.

Seems like something's really fucked inside the game that stutters a lot. Corrupted maps, too high resolution skin elements, etc. anything strange can pose the problem. Did you notice something unusual when the issue started happening?
I play without shaders and all that jazz on, in 1920x1080. I only have two skins, the original main taiko one, and one I downloaded from the osuskins website. One of the most downloaded skins, actually.

But I main taiko, as I stated, so I'm 9/10 times using the Taiko skin. No other problems in the game itself except these random but often frame stutters
Zelzatter Zero
I know it's really late but I don't really think the Troubleshooting page is right. Have you tried disable Game Mode, turn "Reduced dropped frames" off before playing the game?