forum

macOS Updated Wineskin Installation Guide (Rosetta support)

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Read all installation steps before downloading a Wineskin.

Downloads

Latest Wineskin (Intel and Rosetta):
https://mega.nz/file/ZlUxmQpT#P2MNDUmMLKiAWYpCYIqnxIP3HmlR5-_Y1se_elvmuSQ

Outdated Downloads

Rosetta Wineskin:
https://mega.nz/file/ghsiiY5S#yJVytf3tb3Bcu9zMF2lomsASDofKD4whzxE1htAJKBE

Catalina or older:
https://mega.nz/file/54sgCaJB#nzuV4BNcOx7sJ-zx8elWwO9qgQCrHK763mIrTYyozZU

High Sierra or Mojave or older:
Launchpad's Wineskin: community/forums/posts/6919344

Installation

Installation steps:
  1. Download one of the Wineskins from the above links
  2. Extract the downloaded zip file
  3. Download osu!macOS Agent
  4. Follow the steps for opening osu!macOS Agent
  5. Select the Troubleshoot tab
  6. Click the Scan button
  7. Click the Repair button
  8. Double click on osu! to open it
Additional steps (Catalina <10.15.4):
If you are on an older version of Catalina you can either update macOS or disable System Integrity Protection.
Note that the command is: csrutil disable.

Transferring data:
Steps
  1. Right click your old osu! Wineskin > Show Package Contents
  2. Go to drive_c > osu!
  3. Right click your new osu! Wineskin > Show Package Contents
  4. Go to drive_c > osu!
  5. Copy over folders: Data, Downloads, Screenshots (if present), Skins, Songs
  6. Copy over files: collection.db, osu!.db, osu!.(name).cfg, scores.db, presence.db

Discord Rich Presence:
Note: Discord Rich Presence is not available on the Rosetta Wineskin.
Note: These steps are already applied on the latest Wineskins.
Steps
  1. Download bridge.exe from this repository
  2. Right click osu! > Show Package Contents
  3. Go to drive_c > osu!
  4. Drag the bridge.exe file into the osu! folder
  5. Create a new file in the osu! folder named execute.bat
  6. Add these two lines to the execute.bat file:
    start C:\osu!\bridge.exe
    start C:\osu!\osu!.exe -nosplash
  7. Open Wineskin (next to the drive_c folder)
  8. Click Advanced
  9. Change the Windows EXE field to (including the outer quotes):
    "C:\osu!\execute.bat"
For technical information on how the bridge works see the project page: https://github.com/Techno-coder/macOS-wine-bridge

Troubleshooting:
  1. Check the details shown in the Troubleshoot tab
  2. Press the Copy Report button
  3. Paste the report in your reply to this thread

Importing

You are encouraged to either use osu!macOS Agent or manually import. Directly importing files into osu! may cause the window to freeze. If you are using a Wineskin supported for Catalina or older (including High Sierra or Mojave) you must use one of these two methods.

Importing beatmaps (osu!macOS Agent)
  1. Keep osu!macOS Agent open in the background
  2. Enable Automatically move beatmaps from Downloads
  3. Download a beatmap file
  4. Press F5 while in game to load new beatmaps

Importing skins (osu!macOS Agent)
  1. Keep osu!macOS Agent open in the background
  2. Enable Automatically move skins from Downloads
  3. Download a skin file
  4. Restart the game

Importing beatmaps (manually)
  1. Right click osu! > Show Package Contents
  2. Go to drive_c > osu! > Songs
  3. Drag the beatmap file inside the Songs folder
  4. Remove any non-alphanumeric characters from the file name
  5. Press F5 while in game to load new beatmaps

Importing skins (manually)
  2. Go to drive_c > osu! > Skins
  3. Drag the skin file inside the Skins folder
  4. Rename the skin file to skin.zip
  5. Extract the skin.zip file
  6. Delete the skin.zip file
  7. Restart the game

Importing beatmaps (directly)
  1. Download a beatmap
  2. Drag the file into the osu! window

Importing skins (directly)
  1. Download a skin
  2. Drag the file into the osu! window

Changes

Rosetta Wineskin changes
Compared to Latest Wineskin
Changes
  1. [27/12] Update Wine engine to 21.0
  2. Add font smoothing (thanks Superuser1958)
  3. Use 32 bit Wine engine

Latest Wineskin changes
Compared to the Catalina Wineskin
Changes
  1. [19/8] Update Wine engine to 21.2.0
  2. [27/12] Update Wine engine to 21.1.0
  3. [15/2] Add font smoothing (thanks Superuser1958)
  4. [1/2] Update engine to WS11WineCX64Bit20.0.2 (thanks @Gcenx)
  5. Add CJK language font mappings
  6. Update engine to WS11WineCX64Bit20.0.0
  7. Code-signed engine allows direct import of files
  8. Preliminary support for Rosetta based execution

Catalina Wineskin changes
Compared to experimental: community/forums/posts/7367239
Note: All of Launchpad's Wineskin's changes are applied as well
Changes
  1. [16/7] Add Discord Rich Presence (after many hours of work!)
  2. Update engine to WineCX19.0.1-1
  3. Remove System Integrity Protection requirement
  4. Fix immediate crash on game launch
  5. Halve Wineskin size

Launchpad's Wineskin changes (summarised)
Compared to 2018 unofficial update: community/forums/topics/682197
Changes
  1. Fix large image loading freezes
  2. Use unofficial Wine engine WS9Wine4.0-rc3
  3. Fix opening links in multiplayer
  4. Reduce graphical lag

Other

Frequently asked questions
osu! is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash.
Follow all the installation steps. The most likely cause for this issue is that the troubleshooter has not been run. If it still does not work, paste the troubleshooting report.
How do I import a beatmap pack?
Extract the beatmap pack and then move all the beatmaps into the Downloads (to be automatically imported by osu!macOS Agent) or Songs folder.
How do I switch between windows?
Disable fullscreen mode in osu!'s settings. Alternatively, use the ⌘+Tab hotkey.
How do I fix lag or frame drops?
There isn't a concrete set of steps to resolve this. You can try disabling some graphical options in osu! such as shaders or using a less performance intensive skin. However, do not enable Compatibility Mode as that will cause your game to crash.

You can try enabling VSync in the osu! settings in case your GPU or CPU is throttling.

You can also try enabling Retina Mode if you are using a Retina display however that may distort your game resolution. To do so:
  2. Open Wineskin > Set Screen Options
  3. Check Retina Mode
  4. Close Wineskin
osu! is stuck in an update loop. How do I fix this?
Click on the Other tab in osu!macOS Agent and then click on the Update osu! button.
Are there viruses?
No. For an explanation about the false positives see this Wineskin issue: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/issues/48

Other macOS resources
osu!mac - osu! on macOS documentation site (maintained by aidswidjaja)

Outdated macOS resources
[Guide] Fixing Mac Issues: community/forums/topics/679205
Unofficial Updated OSX osu! Wineskin Package: community/forums/topics/682197

Special thanks
Death and Dntm8kmeeatu for their amazing work in helping users with their issues
peppy for creating the original Wineskin
Launchpad (previously slc) for creating an updated Wineskin
Gcenx for maintaining the Wineskin project and Wine engines
aidswidjaja for maintaining osu!mac and assisting users with their issues
VeilStar
I don't even use macOS but I would like to take a moment to thank you for all your work on macOS compatibility and helping macOS users out when they run into issues. Fantastic job!
missingling_
I just want to thank you so, SOO MUCH. <3
totzk9
Finally! After 5 years of being inactive from osu! now I can play again! Thank you very much!!!!
Mic238
soz it's a new 64 bit wrapper of wineskin 11.

I feel like osu Lazer is getting better so I just discontinue my wrapper update

it doesn't run as smooth as native Lazer, input delay is noticeable, probably need to change some settings like raw input and frame rate

But always good to have a option to go for ranking and pp :>) Great job!
SPM37
BTW to anyone who dosent want to restart the game when importing skins you just need to either grab the osk file into the osu! window or use osuMACOS agent and the press Control+ALT+Shift+S. or Command+shift+alt+S

However the F5 is somehow nessesary because putting the osk file directly into the osu!.app with this newer version of wine will neglect the file (im not sure if this has been fixed or not)
Darknn
For anyone wondering, this does work on Catalina! And it also works on older versions, it just adds Catalina support. Just to make it work, you have to follow the steps as told on the top of this forum, but anyways one question still bugs me,

Does this work with the compatibility mode on? And when I tested it it didn't, but is there still a way to make it work?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

Oblivous wrote:

I have tested it and it does work with macOS Catalina, but one question still bugs me,

Does this work with the compatibility mode on? And when I tested it it didn't, but is there still a way to make it work?
No, it doesn't and I don't know of a way that makes compatibility mode work.
TTTechnoPro
Thank you for all your hard work!

Is there a fix to Japanese Kanji in song titles showing up as empty squares? I don't have this issue on osu on my PC. Please let me know!
kyujenu18
When it was verifying osu, it had a pop-up that said it was damaged and cannot be opened. What should I do in this situation?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

TTTechnoPro wrote:

Thank you for all your hard work!

Is there a fix to Japanese Kanji in song titles showing up as empty squares? I don't have this issue on osu on my PC. Please let me know!
Peppy mentions in this post (community/forums/posts/7140978) that font support can probably be added back with fake font mappings. I haven't had the chance to do this yet.

kyujenu18 wrote:

When it was verifying osu, it had a pop-up that said it was damaged and cannot be opened. What should I do in this situation?
Please follow the installation steps carefully. If it still doesn't work after doing so, please follow the steps under the Troubleshooting section.
SPM37
Well i got around a a problem with sic´s wraper cause it gets stuck in an update loop (i have not tried the fix on the old wrapper help post)
nohamik
When I click on the troubleshooting tab, I can't click the scan or repair button. The osu! app doesn't show up.
Topic Starter
Technocoder

nohamik wrote:

When I click on the troubleshooting tab, I can't click the scan or repair button. The osu! app doesn't show up.
Did you select the osu!.app first? There's a select button on the General tab.
sscoolqaz
So this works beautifully, except it crashes when I search beatmaps or settings
Topic Starter
Technocoder

sscoolqaz wrote:

So this works beautifully, except it crashes when I search beatmaps or settings
Which Wineskin and what keyboard layout are you using? If you aren't using an English layout (such as US) then switch to one.
Someon332
Oh my god thanks so much.
I was so worried that osu! wasn't on mac then I find this.
Launchpad
hey, as someone who has previously "maintained" a wineskin for osu! on mac, this is pretty amazing considering that you made an entire agent program for this! thank you
miamia0227
Hi, I'm having some trouble downloading osu beatmaps.
I finally updated my macOS to Catalina recently and did all the steps to update osu to Catalina supported one.
Everything is working perfectly, except I can't open the osu beatmaps and add new songs.
Whenever I try to open the beat maps I downloaded on osu, it says "There's no Windows program configured to open this type of file".(I will attach a screenshot below.)
The file type I download from the official osu website is in filename.osz format.
Please let me know if there's a solution to this! Thank you :)
(English is not my first language, sorry if there are grammatical mistakes and all those! >_<)

Screen shot vvv
https://paste.pics/9QDYW
Topic Starter
Technocoder
miamia0227

miamia0227 wrote:

I finally updated my macOS to Catalina recently and did all the steps to update osu to Catalina supported one.
Everything is working perfectly, except I can't open the osu beatmaps and add new songs.
Whenever I try to open the beat maps I downloaded on osu, it says "There's no Windows program configured to open this type of file".(I will attach a screenshot below.)
The file type I download from the official osu website is in filename.osz format.
(English is not my first language, sorry if there are grammatical mistakes and all those! >_<)

Screen shot vvv
Please see the steps in the post on Importing beatmaps.
- MiniJake -
Heyo, this works bloody brilliantly except the only issue I am facing is I get tiny stutters every now and then in the middle of songs, browsing or even just letting the program run on the menu screen. I've gone through the settings to try and make it less taxing on my machine but it causes me to miss in the middle of a beatmap. Any ideas?
miamia0227

Technocoder wrote:

miamia0227

miamia0227 wrote:

Screen shot vvv

oh my I'm so blind-
Thank you so much ;-;
lydxra
Hello , I had seen that you updated osu for mac and I got this version, and it has been working well for like a week or two and then I ran into a problem where I can't open it now, I also recently got supporter so if you could get back with me soon that would be great! Here is what the report says.

Version 10.15.6 (Build 19G73)
Engine: WS11WineCX64Bit19.0.1-1
Wineskin 2.9.0.6 1
Release: Stable40
Quarantine attribute is absent
Execute flag is present
Detect Direct3D is enabled
Compatibility mode is disabled
System Integrity Protection is disabled
Engine version is supported
Razer Synapse is absent
Log file: update.log is absent
No errors in: runtime.log

When I tried to open it my Malwarebytes program was showing there was some threat and it moved some things to "quaratine" I tried looking for the files and I only saw some logs , but not the update.log or the Razer Synapse.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Wine internally uses spoofed .dll files which is what Malwarebytes likely picked up. I'm entirely sure how you would get them restored if it quarantined them (I haven't used an antivirus on macOS in years). My best suggestion is to disable Malwarebytes (at least for the Wineskin if not entirely) and then reinstall Wineskin and transfer you data over again.
miamia0227

miamia0227 wrote:

Technocoder wrote:

miamia0227

miamia0227 wrote:

Screen shot vvv

oh my I'm so blind-
Thank you so much ;-;
Hi, I finally had the time to play osu and try loading the beatmaps. I have the osu agent's "automatically move beatmaps from downloads" enabled, and tried pressing f5 key in game. It says it's checking for new files, but the .osz files in the downloads don't seem to load properly.

Any solutions to this? Sorry for posting several times... Let me know if I need to post additional information here.

Screenshot of the osu macOS agent (I hope I'm not doing anything wrong) vvv

https://paste.pics/9QQ54

Screenshot of the osu beatmap files in the download folder vvv

https://paste.pics/9QQ7C
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Please move the .osz files away from the Downloads folder and then back into the Downloads folder. If that doesn't work please try the manual method. The maps should be moved automatically when a map is downloaded.
lydxra

Technocoder wrote:

Wine internally uses spoofed .dll files which is what Malwarebytes likely picked up. I'm entirely sure how you would get them restored if it quarantined them (I haven't used an antivirus on macOS in years). My best suggestion is to disable Malwarebytes (at least for the Wineskin if not entirely) and then reinstall Wineskin and transfer you data over again.

Thanks, I am transferring everything over right now but I can't find the Screenshots folder.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
The screenshots folder is only present if you've taken one :P I'll make it clearer in the post.
lydxra

Technocoder wrote:

The screenshots folder is only present if you've taken one :P I'll make it clearer in the post.
haha I kinda thought so but I wanted to ask just in case :)) thanks sm!
culturecroc
Hi! I currently am trying to download beatmaps through the agent but i'm constantly getting an error screen. I have all the "move files from download" checked in, and when I try to download a beatmap, it does not download. I've tried the manual method and got nothing. I've tried for over 2 hours trying to move the beatmaps but there's no indication that the maps are on osu.

Here's my scan:

Wineskin 2.9.0.6 1
Quarantine attribute is present
Execute flag is present
Razer Synapse is absent
Topic Starter
Technocoder
culturecroc

culturecroc wrote:

Hi! I currently am trying to download beatmaps through the agent but i'm constantly getting an error screen. I have all the "move files from download" checked in, and when I try to download a beatmap, it does not download. I've tried the manual method and got nothing. I've tried for over 2 hours trying to move the beatmaps but there's no indication that the maps are on osu.

Here's my scan:

Wineskin 2.9.0.6 1
Quarantine attribute is present
Execute flag is present
Razer Synapse is absent
Please paste a screenshot of your Songs folder. Can you clarify what you mean by "it does not download"? If the beatmap file disappears from the Downloads folder then it should appear in the Songs folder (as the agent is moving the file).
SWAG EDGAR
On #5 in Discord Integrations (Create a new file in the osu! folder named execute.bat) what do you mean by create a new file? Do you mean create a new folder?
Topic Starter
Technocoder

SWAG EDGAR wrote:

On #5 in Discord Integrations (Create a new file in the osu! folder named execute.bat) what do you mean by create a new file? Do you mean create a new folder?
A new text file with the extension .bat (so, not execute.txt.bat or execute.bat.txt but execute.bat). I'd really suggest you try the Catalina Wineskin first because that one uses an updated Wine engine and has the Discord Rich Presence already applied.
TimeRee
Hi could you make a video how to do it please?
i don't know how to do it because i am confused
and i am kids please make tutorial thanks you

nvm i some somehow make it by myself thanks you :DDDDDD
DCHRISANGELO
I've followed the specified steps but then when I double click my osu app it gets stuck in an update loop

The Error Logs in the Osu Mac Client
Errors in: update.log
2020-08-08T10:07:34: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:07:42: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:07:51: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:07:59: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:08:08: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:08:16: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:08:24: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:10:14: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:11:24: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T10:11:32: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T12:53:18: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
2020-08-08T12:53:26: _pending\osu!.exe => osu!.exe: FAIL
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Click on the Other tab and then click on Update osu!
tinbolw
I downloaded osu!-catalina.zip from the link that you sent above and ran it through a virustotal scan because I thought your answer to the "Are there viruses" question was incomplete. Low and behold, it got flagged by 5 antiviruses as malware. Can you explain this and provide proof that this is in fact not malware?

EDIT: I do not know how to attach images to my post so I will provide you with a link to the test results. Feel free to run the tests for yourself if you do not believe me.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6a118cec16a4bd6bbd7592de4c83b525de12c24e5df1c680a365d7233acc0329/detection
Topic Starter
Technocoder
tinbolw

tinbolw wrote:

I downloaded osu!-catalina.zip from the link that you sent above and ran it through a virustotal scan because I thought your answer to the "Are there viruses" question was incomplete. Low and behold, it got flagged by 5 antiviruses as malware. Can you explain this and provide proof that this is in fact not malware?

EDIT: I do not know how to attach images to my post so I will provide you with a link to the test results. Feel free to run the tests for yourself if you do not believe me.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/6a118cec16a4bd6bbd7592de4c83b525de12c24e5df1c680a365d7233acc0329/detection
See this Wineskin issue for the explanation about the false positive: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer/issues/48
I don't know how you want me to provide "proof". There is no way for me to conclusively show that the downloads I provide are malware free. Even if I provide screenshots or a video of me creating the Wineskin wrapper along with the checksum either of these can be easily fabricated. This question was provided as an answer to people who have the Wineskin detected as malware by antivirus scanners.

At the end of the day I encourage people who are worried about the possibility of a virus to follow my (outdated) macOS troubleshooting guide: community/forums/topics/679205 and create their own wrapper from scratch.
tinbolw
Ok, thanks for replying
show more