forum

[Archived] Osu Freeze (blackscreen) causing pc restart

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Belfast
Hello,
So I've been experiencing a big problem with my osu recently. The thing is it keeps getting a freeze right after which black screen happens. Then I have to either wait a few mins and my pc restarts, or restart it manually (mostly forcing the shutdown).
It occurs randomly everytime I play or am in song select, it doesn't happen neither when I alt tab nor not use it at all. I already reinstalled Osu on other drive, Reinstalled drivers and checked for their updates, even did memtest to see if my hardware is not okay but it showed no problems with my hardware. If anyone know how to help with that or had this problem before I'd be thankful for any help, thanks!

Video or screenshot showing the problem: Cant screen it because my pc is unusable when it happens.

osu! version: 20200519.1 (stable)
Death
What are your PC specs?

Is there any consistency to when you are getting a black screen? Does it always occur after you do something specific, like starting a map or clicking on something in game?

Hold shift while starting the game until a configuration window pops up. Enable the "compatibility mode" checkbox in that window and hit the "repair osu!" button. Check to see if that makes any difference.
Topic Starter
Belfast

Death wrote:

What are your PC specs?

Is there any consistency to when you are getting a black screen? Does it always occur after you do something specific, like starting a map or clicking on something in game?

Hold shift while starting the game until a configuration window pops up. Enable the "compatibility mode" checkbox in that window and hit the "repair osu!" button. Check to see if that makes any difference.
Pc specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
16Gb RAM
Windows 10 pro

There is no consistency as to when game freeze happens, though it was more often happening while i played a beatmap rather than song select.
I tried playing in compatibility mode and it did not help.
Death
Is your computer receiving proper cooling, not overheating or anything? Kind of hard to say what could be causing this since there is no consistency, or crash logs, or really anything to go off of...

Can you try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del after getting a black screen instead of shutting down your computer? Your computer restarting automatically is concerning as well. A game freezing should not cause that (which is why I'm gravitating toward something like improper cooling causing issues).
Topic Starter
Belfast

Death wrote:

Is your computer receiving proper cooling, not overheating or anything? Kind of hard to say what could be causing this since there is no consistency, or crash logs, or really anything to go off of...

Can you try hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del after getting a black screen instead of shutting down your computer? Your computer restarting automatically is concerning as well. A game freezing should not cause that (which is why I'm gravitating toward something like improper cooling causing issues).
When freeze happens i cannot do anything, nothing works not even ctrl+alt+del it just shows blackscreen until i either restart it manually or it does it itself after few mins. Also I am pretty sure it's not overheating because i played more demanding games than osu and it never happened. It only happens with osu.
Death
Are you running the game with the unlimited frame limiter? You would be surprised with how taxing that can be for your computer. If you are, try using a lower frame limiter.
Topic Starter
Belfast

Death wrote:

Are you running the game with the unlimited frame limiter? You would be surprised with how taxing that can be for your computer. If you are, try using a lower frame limiter.
It just happened again after i limited it to 288fps and this time without freezing my screen it just blackscreened.
Death
Please try closing other programs that you have open as well, especially anything graphics intensive or anything that might be putting an overlay on the game (like Discord).

At least it's not freezing now, so that might have been related to the issue.
Topic Starter
Belfast

Death wrote:

Please try closing other programs that you have open as well, especially anything graphics intensive or anything that might be putting an overlay on the game (like Discord).

At least it's not freezing now, so that might have been related to the issue.
ok closed everything, had only osu open. played for about 10 minutes but it happened nonetheless.
I might try reinstalling windows because it seems like the only option left at this point.

Edit: I even reinstalled windows, I left no files on my pc on any drive yet the problem is still there.
I have literally no clue why is that happening.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Check for any errors in Event Viewer, Look at Windows Logs > System and look for any critical errors around the time this error happened. It sounds like a GPU fault, either hardware to driver. (If you reinstalled Windows that should have ruled out drivers, but I'm not counting it out.)
DeletedUser_4050493
I don't know if it will help u, since I change GPU to RX 5700, I have black screen issue for some month (1-3x a day) until the new driver fix it and now I never have black screen, try DDU (display driver uninstaller) and clean install the latest driver, it worked at least for me

Edit: readjust ur Radeon Software also good since there are many bug with this early driver
Topic Starter
Belfast

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

Check for any errors in Event Viewer, Look at Windows Logs > System and look for any critical errors around the time this error happened. It sounds like a GPU fault, either hardware to driver. (If you reinstalled Windows that should have ruled out drivers, but I'm not counting it out.)
Ok I checked it and there is 1 critical error that says "The system has been restarted without first being shut down cleanly. Possible error reduction: The system has stopped responding". there is also a log that shows this :

- EventData

BugcheckCode 278
BugcheckParameter1 0xffffe70620acf060
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI true
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false
Dntm8kmeeatu
That error is a generic error for force shutting down your PC, has no useful information.
Topic Starter
Belfast

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

That error is a generic error for force shutting down your PC, has no useful information.
There isn't any other critical error though, besides few errors saying that the shutdown wasnt planned.
Dntm8kmeeatu
If it happens on a fresh install of Windows with no programs running, I have no real idea what it could be. You already said you tried reinstalling and different drivers. A hard GPU fault is unlikely, same with a monitor or cable. But there is really no information to go off of.
Topic Starter
Belfast

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

If it happens on a fresh install of Windows with no programs running, I have no real idea what it could be. You already said you tried reinstalling and different drivers. A hard GPU fault is unlikely, same with a monitor or cable. But there is really no information to go off of.
OK so,
I tried DDU to uninstall drivers and install them again though it didn't work like i tried before.
I also decided to change GPU to my old Geforce 960 and it's not happening anymore.
Meaning the issue is within my Radeon 5600XT GPU.
Unfortunately i don't know solution for the blackscreens so i will just try to sell it and buy a new one cause it might be a faulty product or something (though i will not buy any Radeon series anymore just because of this experience).
Dntm8kmeeatu
It's possible it's some driver issue with that model GPU, I know when the card first launched there were issues.

You could either sell it or potentially send in an RMA request to the manufacturer of the card, but without an obvious hard fault they may not accept it. Or could also ask a refund from wherever you bought it.

How long has this been happening? Has it happened the entire time you owned that GPU? Did it start recently? Did it start after changing anything or after you installed new drivers or a Windows update?

Also try using a different Display or HDMI port on the GPU, incase one is faulty and causing issues somehow (unlikely)
Topic Starter
Belfast

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

It's possible it's some driver issue with that model GPU, I know when the card first launched there were issues.

You could either sell it or potentially send in an RMA request to the manufacturer of the card, but without an obvious hard fault they may not accept it. Or could also ask a refund from wherever you bought it.

How long has this been happening? Has it happened the entire time you owned that GPU? Did it start recently? Did it start after changing anything or after you installed new drivers or a Windows update?

Also try using a different Display or HDMI port on the GPU, incase one is faulty and causing issues somehow (unlikely)
At first when i built this pc 3 months ago, it wasn't occuring at all, but after a few windows updates or driver updates (i assume because those are the only consistently updated things that matter, and i didn't really pay attention what is being updated when excatly). It started occuring almost once a day, which was kinda bearable but still frustrating. And suddenly yesterday it started happening every 10 minutes or so for no reason.
I already tried using different monitor that had hdmi connection and it didn't help.
Dntm8kmeeatu
If you really care about using that card, you could always try older drivers from around the time it worked and see if it is indeed driver related.
Topic Starter
Belfast

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

If you really care about using that card, you could always try older drivers from around the time it worked and see if it is indeed driver related.
Yeah it sucks because it only had problems with osu and nothing else, but considering its the game i play the most i might try reinstalling drivers with the older version just to see. Nonetheless I will try refunding this GPU or selling it because i am not really fond of radeon drivers and performance i had for such price. Thanks for the help everyone anyway, I will keep you updated if older drivers helped.
jabbakai
The same thing happened to me with a Radeon 6600xt. I thunk the issue has something to do with amd cards. I will replace my graphics card of the issue keeps happening.
Blushing

jabbakai wrote:

The same thing happened to me with a Radeon 6600xt. I thunk the issue has something to do with amd cards. I will replace my graphics card of the issue keeps happening.
Please make your own thread describing the issue the best you can instead of posting on a thread that hasnt been active for 2 years.