forum

[Archived] Custom fps limit

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
azael4k
Problem details:
The custom fps limit was removed and i get lag and lag spikes when using optimal 480fps, but 120fps is too much delay, please bring it back D:

Video or screenshot showing the problem:
https://osu.ppy.sh/ss/14209166/a552

osu! version: Stable 20191206 (latest)
Death
You can set a custom frame limit by editing the "osu!.<username>.cfg" file in your installation folder and setting these lines accordingly:
CustomFrameLimit = 240

FrameSync = Custom

Just change the value of CustomFrameLimit to whatever number you want.

Make sure you close the game before opening and modifying this file or it might not work. Also make sure to save the file after you are done.
Topic Starter
azael4k
it doesnt work anymore... https://imgur-archive.ppy.sh/discord/650363149987479591-653198214077480981-owo.JPG
and even when i start osu it doesnt show up
Magnus Cosmos

It's still there for me, I'm on cutting edge though, but I'm pretty sure stable should still have it as well
Death
I just tested it and it still works. If it didn't work for you it's most likely because you didn't open and modify the file after you closed the game or you didn't save it after you were done making changes.

Pretty sure the game will still cap to a different value in the menu (optimal or power saving), but while actually playing it should cap to whatever value you set as your custom frame limit.
Topic Starter
azael4k
that doesnt happen for me tho, i have 0 idea why
i change the limit while im not in game, open it again, and its still 480fps in game
Death
Don't open the file until after you have the game closed, save it before you reopen the game, and test by starting a map rather than just looking in the menu. Make sure you are also changing the correct line to "Custom". It's possible you have a FrameSync and FrameSyncGL in that file, but the latter won't do anything.
Topic Starter
azael4k
i tested by starting a map im not stupid
Death
Didn't say you were stupid. If it's not working then something was missed and it's a good idea to cover all bases.
Astellis
Since this is working for more than just one person we are just trying to figure out what is different, giving clear instructions is better for eliminating silly things that can be overlooked... no offence was ment
Niggle
They updated the game again, now its showing 240fps in main menu and over 240 when in game
(for me).

Steps I did.

Close osu.

Open "osu!.PCNAME.cfg" with an editor.

Try to look at your config again and ctrl+f, type in "FrameSync" and enter.

Change it the value after FrameSync: to "Custom".

Also look for "CustomFrameLimit".

Change the value of that to "999".

Ctrl+S to save the cfg.

Open up osu again, don't do anything else and play a beatmap.

If your not getting a max fps of 999 then try repairing osu!.
UnpopularBloom0

Death wrote:

You can set a custom frame limit by editing the "osu!.<username>.cfg" file in your installation folder and setting these lines accordingly:
CustomFrameLimit = 240

FrameSync = Custom

Just change the value of CustomFrameLimit to whatever number you want.

Make sure you close the game before opening and modifying this file or it might not work. Also make sure to save the file after you are done.

Basically after you do this, it will still cap to either 280 or whatever fps in the menu, but when you start a map, it will actually be the framelimit you set, and i think if the framelimit you set is higher than 1000 then it will only show whatever your monitors refresh rate is but it will still be using the frame limit you set.
Death

UnpopularBloom0 wrote:

Basically after you do this, it will still cap to either 280 or whatever fps in the menu, but when you start a map, it will actually be the framelimit you set, and i think if the framelimit you set is higher than 1000 then it will only show whatever your monitors refresh rate is but it will still be using the frame limit you set.
Yes, it will still cap in the menu, that is correct. That is precisely why I mentioned in this thread that you should start a map to test if the limit is working and not just use the menu. The monitor refresh rate thing is what happens when you use unlimited as well.
Jeksu
Its not working me at all, could someone please help me, when i put in the CustomFrameLimit 1000 it doesn't show or anything please help.
Death
Did you change the other line that is mentioned in this post? Pretty sure the custom frame limit caps at 999 as well.
MFarhanF2035
this things is so usefull to gain constant fpses and feels better after that. no more stuttering or any else. i like it

its work's for me and for other clients too (i hope) just type the code in osu!.<username>.cfg correctly its will working as well.
Guguuuuuus
The thread is a little bit old but maybe my experience could help someone.

Like evie-chan it didn't worked for me. After changing FrameSync to Custom and CustomFrameLimit to 500, my fps in game was still caped at 144, event tho, i could see the max pfs possible has changed since the game show me 144/500 in the fps counter.

The problem was in the setting of my graphic card. In the nvidia control panel, under the "Manage 3D settings" you can change the max fps output of your graphic card, it worked for me.
gum765
guys for some reason its capped at 380 fps idk why :( if its my system i have a gtx1050ti + i5-8300H with 8gb ram
Dntm8kmeeatu

gum765 wrote:

guys for some reason its capped at 380 fps idk why :( if its my system i have a gtx1050ti + i5-8300H with 8gb ram
Hit f7?

Make a new post instead of bumping old ones.
Folkasr
E
Zelzatter Zero
right click, choose "Open With..." --> choose Notepad...?

Also just make a new thread instead.