Total Posts

Dead or alive?

Dead
12.93%
Alive
87.07%
Total votes: 750
Topic Starter
According to some of my friends, osu! is a dead game. I personally think otherwise.
ppl that think this game is dead, speak up,
ppl that think this game is alive, speak up.
Flanster
dead huh..
mulraf

Flanster wrote:

dead huh..

^ this
for comparison, 2-3 years ago i've mostly seen ~15-17k. right now it's at 16k so i'd say it's around the same as it has been the last few years. still i'd be happy to see it growing instead of stagnating but since we still have lazer in the making i think things are looking pretty good :3
aqua_reload
osu! will never be a dead game because it will always

see you next time
Zelzatter Zero
"Don't forget, you are here forever."
Hug Neko Yukii
Don't think its a dead game, Osu will stay in our heart forever ❤️
and like Aqua_reload said:

"See you next time"
Nuuskamuikkunen
It seems that CTB is dead since 2017.
You can see a huge difference in plays between 2013 and 2017+ maps.

But in general, it has been getting popular in the early 2010s but it has been getting stuck since 2016.
Let me put the peak players of various february dates, with the magic of Wayback Machine:

10 FEB 2012: 6260
27 FEB 2013: 7822 - Slight increase.
27 FEB 2014: 12342 - Considerable increase
28 FEB 2015: 12861 - Stuck.
29 FEB 2016: 17437 - Considerable increase.
26 FEB 2017: 18248 - Slight increase.
27 FEB 2018: 17645 - Slight decrease, stuck if compared to 2016.
In 2019 and 2020 there hasn't been much changes, I couldn't get 2019 data because of the new design.
Dumieko
see you next time..
DXPOHIHIHI
its not dead but its slowly dying, I used to see 20k almost everyday
abraker
it's fiiiiiiiine
Tazzie
OSU! is doing really well. Tons of recurrent players and a super active mapping/modding community. Also, there don't seem to be any viable competitors from this genre that can steal the playerbase away. I think OSU! has many good years ahead of it.
Evaluation
Osu! is dead because laser is never coming. Osu! is alive because laser is coming.
TheKingHenry

[ Fukatsumu ] wrote:

Osu! is dead because laser is never coming. Osu! is alive because laser is coming.

Schrödinger's lazer?
qwt

eblf2013 wrote:

But in general, it has been getting popular in the early 2010s but it has been getting stuck since 2016.
Let me put the peak players of various february dates, with the magic of Wayback Machine:

In 2019 and 2020 there hasn't been much changes, I couldn't get 2019 data because of the new design.

Even mapping for ctb is dead there's only like two ranked ctb maps a month sad to see my favorite gamemode dying,I played almost every ctb map now I just have to play converted maps:(
MusicRitman

Onto3ma wrote:

eblf2013 wrote:

Even mapping for ctb is dead there's only like two ranked ctb maps a month sad to see my favorite gamemode dying,I played almost every ctb map now I just have to play converted maps:(

Well, you can fix this by mapping too! :)
- Lena -
See you next time!
Chiru-kun
maybe because of less publicity? idk tbh. it "feels dead" from the outside, but from the inside it's actually not.
but for us, what's important is

_Nero_ wrote:

See you next time!
xseandee
tbh i dont think osu will die, lmao its like the ONLY rhythm game thats actually well made LMAO
Lights

Sean Dee wrote:

tbh i dont think osu will die, lmao its like the ONLY rhythm game thats actually well made LMAO

You might want to broaden your horizons a bit. There are plenty of good rhythm games out there.
xseandee

Lights wrote:

Sean Dee wrote:

You might want to broaden your horizons a bit. There are plenty of good rhythm games out there.

I guess but like i said, osu has a big community, stable client, etc etc. also have 4 game modes.
MusicRitman

Sean Dee wrote:

Lights wrote:

Sean Dee wrote:

I guess but like i said, osu has a big community, stable client, etc etc. also have 4 game modes.

And the fruits almost dead one XD
GetAll684

aqua_reload wrote:

osu! will never be a dead game because it will always

see you next time
LMAOOOO
qwt
Well, you can fix this by mapping too! :)[/quote]

NO I AM MAP STD
Makan1
osu! is dead in the sense that most communities have more or less diminished overtime.
years ago, like before 2015, osu! would have a lot of active sub-communities compromised of national groups, mapper groups, certain mod-combination player communities (FL), even forum shit posters had their own communities etc. I see less of this compared to back in the day.

osu! over time has strangely become more of a homogenized game in my opinion.
what I mean by this is pp-maps have stomped out most players with unique skills and playstyles from the leaderboard. not saying that all people in the top-100 are, obviously there are many players with incredible skillsets but a majority of them have similar skillsets so there is less incentive to look up to as many different top players as compared to back in the day. On top of that, overall this game community is a lot more westernized/western dominant. Before there were clear western and eastern (asiatic) communities.

I know that numbers wise, osu! is more popular than ever before in it's entire history but osu! and it's community has lost a lot of it's original culture to the point where old players returning after 5 years would find this place unrecognizable.
qwt

Makan1 wrote:

osu! is dead in the sense that most communities have more or less diminished overtime.
years ago, like before 2015, osu! would have a lot of active sub-communities compromised of national groups, mapper groups, certain mod-combination player communities (FL), even forum shit posters had their own communities etc. I see less of this compared to back in the day.

osu! over time has strangely become more of a homogenized game in my opinion.
what I mean by this is pp-maps have stomped out most players with unique skills and playstyles from the leaderboard. not saying that all people in the top-100 are, obviously there are many players with incredible skillsets but a majority of them have similar skillsets so there is less incentive to look up to as many different top players as compared to back in the day. On top of that, overall this game community is a lot more westernized/western dominant. Before there were clear western and eastern (asiatic) communities.

I know that numbers wise, osu! is more popular than ever before in it's entire history but osu! and it's community has lost a lot of it's original culture to the point where old players returning after 5 years would find this place unrecognizable.

It would be cool to have a shitposting community again:(
-Chaeyoung

Makan1 wrote:

Agreed, especially the country subforums, for my country at least. I don't even see a great use for them personally but can understand why they exist.
show more